Modern gaming business practices

Steam, Deals & More.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Modern gaming business practices

Post by Mantis » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm

I don't think ads really have a place in many things, they've certainly never influenced me in any way other than being annoyed by them; but these ones do look particularly naff. Some of the characters literally have the Pro League logo plastered all over their clothes and just look utterly stupid.

Just business I guess.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm

He is not wrong !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Depressing as shit.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Yeah Sterling really is depressing isn't he. ¬_¬

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:42 pm

Following the gaming industry closely is going to have you become just as it is :D
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Is that the guy who's apparently a bit of a Nazi? Needless to say I have never watched him and am basing that off a Reddit thread I looked at while reading about someone else...
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 am

He's not a nazi as much as people keep saying he is. But is a slime ball that goes where the money is. Completely different things ;)

He's right on some stuff and over exaggerates the other stuff, so like any other youtuber :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:29 am

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 am

He was very much a slimeball but has changed his tune in recent years, whether it is a true conversion or just to stay out of controversy is hard to tell. I find it harder to trust him when he keeps the far right look, even if it is done 'for laughs'.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 pm

I think I've said this before, but the fascist stylings that Sterling co-opts really do not bother me, in fact I don't think I'd even noticed it until it was mentioned here or on PW. His presentation is so completely absurd (a top-hat in a girdle, a comically over-the-top cane and a set littered with pogs and action figures and boglins) that I can't see how anyone would take it seriously. I didn't know of him prior to about six months ago, so I don't know what he was like when he worked for a major gaming news site (I forget which one), but his arguments these days are largely common sense and, at least in my opinion, appropriate.

This latest story about layoffs at Activision-Blizzard is just unbelievable. It used to be that a company succeeding would be met with bonuses to the employees that helped them to attain that success, now instead people are being laid off!? A commenter over at Eurogamer mentioned the bonus that the CFO received this year, which equates to $18,000-odd for every employee apparently being let go. That's not quite a salary in the US, but it's also only one person's bonus. It's sickening, and completely unsustainable. What the hell is the next guy in charge going to do? Send the boys 'round to forcibly empty gamers' pockets?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 pm

What exactly has he done in the past that is so deplorable? I'm not that clued up on him.

His videos consistently call out corporate bullshit within the industry though. Not being able to trust his analysis on the basis of silly right wing parody iconography is kind of odd, everything he says in his videos pretty much points at him being the exact opposite of a right wing nut.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:50 pm

He went on a lot about SJWs in his time at the Escapist and had pretty bad views on women.

The fascist look isn't offensive in of itself it's just in poor taste and when he came up with it I think he still had his dodgy views. I believe it was meant as a joke towards the SJWs he would often rail against. So yeah it's all really in bad taste and he should just drop it.

Tank

Post by Tank » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:40 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:50 pm
He went on a lot about SJWs in his time at the Escapist and had pretty bad views on women.

The fascist look isn't offensive in of itself it's just in poor taste and when he came up with it I think he still had his dodgy views. I believe it was meant as a joke towards the SJWs he would often rail against. So yeah it's all really in bad taste and he should just drop it.
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Just was slightly anti SJW (a term I loathe fyi) and tweeted some pretty awful things about women buy these were at least maybe 10 or 12 years ago. He has since explained he is embarrassed by them and apologized for them. But that doesn't matter does it? He did something awful (which apparently you have never done...GOOD for you!) and later apologized and clearly changed both his views and politics around it but as I said that doesn't matter to you does it? Throw him in the brig with James Gunn and then see what else you can find to have a benny about.
DjchunKfunK wrote:
The fascist look isn't offensive in of itself it's just in poor taste
In what way? Do you get a wobble on when you see Darth Vader marching around? Did the Red Skull have you reaching for an inhaler?

What about these fellas?

The poorest of poor taste! I mean a toad that looks vaguely like Pinochet??

And just to be extra clear. Jim's look is based on this bloke...

But sure, lets keep the poor taste thing going because...reasons.
DjchunKfunK wrote:
when he came up with it I think he still had his dodgy views. I believe it was meant as a joke towards the SJWs he would often rail against. So yeah it's all really in bad taste and he should just drop it.
Jim came up with that persona after his first few videos on the Escapist where torn apart by a community that just didn't take to his already slightly arrogant persona. Jim could have changed to something more expected but instead he ramped it up a couple of notches. Become more arrogant and dressed like authoritarian dictator and coined the phrase "Thank GOD...For Me!". Constantly reminding people he was always right and never wrong.

I mean didn't that catchphrase tip you off a bit? Did you not hear that and think "This just might be a character/skit designed to inflame...".

Also again with these "dodgy views" you keep coming back too. It was a few tweets VERY early on I think dodgy is a stretch, also he didn't rail against "sjws" as he did just poke fun. Like any media pundit and/or talking head Jim is an equal opportunity piss taker. If that too you equates too bad taste then really I don't know what to say.
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 am
I find it harder to trust him when he keeps the far right look
Jim is a fairly left leaning guy. I could be wrong but I dont think many far right folks post videos of themselves simulating using dragon tongue but plugs whilst the duck tales theme play, having sex with blow up dolls that have copies of Alien Colonial Marines sellotaped to the faces and wearing plague doctor skulls masks whilst masturbating with pogs. I could be wrong though and if someone reports Tommy Robinson in the future dressed as Mario fingering a Gameboy Advance I will happily retract this part of the post.

Also I will state that if you just don't like him then fair enough. He is an acquired taste and speaking as someone who has been a big fan of him over the years I have gone off of him in recent times due to his extremely left leaning views on LGBTQ topics and his general "weird for the sake of being weird" style humor that has started to grate over time.

If he's not your cup of tea then fine...on your way. But it feels like you are guessing/making up things to find an issue with and thats just a bit cynical and dishonest.
Anderson: [reads Kay's mind] Sir, he's thinking about going for your gun.

Judge Dredd: Yeah?

Anderson: [reads it again] He just changed his mind.

Judge Dredd: Yeah...

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 am

I've never took his look as a nazi symbol but some hell breathing preacher at the podium speaking the evils of the world. I may had a run in one of them types young :P

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am

Some of the stuff he said at the time was pretty terrible and therefore I think it is OK to be a bit sceptical. This stuff wasn't just causal sexism it was horrid stuff. Just for reference these are the types of things I'm talking about, these are from 2011.

Just ask your husband for permission before using the computer next time.

People like you *revel* in sexism, so sure. I’m just giving you what all attention-seeking little bitches crave.

You’re the embarrassment. To your gender, your species, and all feminazi sluts like yourself.

He didn't just post a few tweets early on, he had a reputation for this kind of stuff from when he worked at Destructoid and continued during his time at The Escapist.

EDIT: To be clear, this isn't the main reason I dislike him. I don't like his whole style.