Bar Staff

Re: Diablo Immortal

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:00 am

This video breaks it down.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:11 pm

So apparently to completely max out a character you have to spend either between $110,000 - $500,000 (depending on how lucky you are with MTX) or spend 10 years playing the game to do it for free...

:shock: :lol:

"Are you telling me it's free AND you get 10 years of content?!" :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:57 pm

Meanwhile, RPS reckons it can be achieved for the low-low price of... around £50,000 :shock:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/weve-r ... ally-costs

Is no-one else surprised by this btw? Thought it might excite some commment...

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:56 am

I guess I’m so jaded by games in the F2P model and their exploitations, not to mention Blizzard’s many, many foibles of recent times, that I’m unsurprised. It’s just deeply sad and bewildering that such a once-great company has plummeted so far, to the point where they think this is fine.

Also Diablo Immortal lost whatever interest I might have had the moment they made it a mobile game. If they’d done this with Diablo 4, I’d probably be more astounded.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:28 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:47 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:57 pm
Is no-one else surprised by this btw? Thought it might excite some commment...
This kind of thing could only happen within video games and not cause national/global media outcry. The mechanics of this are so insidious and meticulously crafted to have the biggest and most effective dopamine-drip hooks that are there purely to snag those of an addictive bent. Oh, and kids of course.

Absolutely fucking disgusting and utterly morally bankrupt. But because it is video games - you know, 'for kids, nothing adults need take seriously', it isn't a bigger story.

ActiBlizz are a perfect mirror for everything that is wrong with the modern world.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:47 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:52 am

I finally got around to watching that this morning. It's worse than I thought. 20-odd separate currencies, that pricing structure that scales to give you just a few less coins than you need to buy an extra something, the psychology of showing you rewards that are being withheld because your subscription thing ran out. It's all designed to pretty much overwhelm players with choices, and it's all designed to obfuscate how much money people pile into it. It's vile.

But what I find most offensive about it is that real effort will have gone into working out the best way to manipulate players into spending money. I know Jim Sterling's done videos on this stuff in the past - there are companies that research this stuff, but I want to know if the researchers know about the damage their research can do.