Re: Diablo Immortal

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:28 pm

I think it looks alright.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Tichinde wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:49 pm
That video is the highlight of this years Blizzcon. Closely followed by the panel responding with "you all have phones right?!!??" when asked if this was ever coming to other platforms.
I love the guy on Reddit who flamed it with "what do you mean you don't like anal? You all have asses right?"
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:11 pm

One thing I've noticed during this furore; so many people are blaming Activision for this decision, as if Activision were a separate company. They don't want to blame Blizzard for it. It's not the first time I've noticed it either, I've seen similar comments in discussions about Overwatch's loot boxes. It's funny how people want to believe one company is full of people like them; gamers building games, that sort of thing, while the other is the dirty, nasty corporate entity that's only there to make money. There's no crossover, oh no.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Shave what?! :D

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 am

This game is intended for the Chinese market as that is where Activision thinks it will make the most money. The Chinese and Japanese markets will probably lap this up.

Activision knows the PC market will not invest in MTX for a Diablo game as the failure of the market in Diablo III proved and selling one priced games is now no longer their focus.

It is all about "recurring spending" for EA, Ubisoft and Activision. Β£50 one off game market is dead to them.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 am

Apparently they pulled the Diablo 4 announcement from Blizzcon...

https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-pul ... 1830232246

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:19 am

Blizzard are saying they never had plans to announce Diablo 4 at this year's Blizzcon.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 am

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... le-reality

This guy completely gets it

Whatever errors were made in stage management, then, do not change the underlying calculus, and even the downturn in the firm's share price doesn't make a damned bit of difference to the business reality around Blizzard's mobile strategy over the coming years. A Diablo mobile title focused on the Asian market is probably one of the most solid business ideas Blizzard has had in a long time, and the company's hints that it's knuckling down on mobile make perfect sense given the IP it owns and the markets in which it's strong.

Make no mistake, a big part of what we're seeing is North American gamers getting upset about a business strategy that squarely targets Asian markets. If Blizzard wants to retain its status as a premier developer in Asia, big, high-profile mobile editions of its games are non-negotiable, and kicking and screaming from North American core gamers won't change the cold commercial reality of that. With those changes to the structure of the market gradually filtering through in North America and Europe as well, the path Blizzard has started down looks even more set in stone.

wat I said. Activision is looking towards 2020, 2021 for future revenue streams. It knows it can make more money from China that will completely offset the decline from US Diablo spending. Game companies are not our friends. They are not looking to make us happy. They want to make shit loads of money

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:27 am

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 am
Make no mistake, a big part of what we're seeing is North American gamers getting upset about a business strategy that squarely targets Asian markets.
I think North American gamers are getting upset at a business strategy that squarely targets Asian markets being the headline reveal at a North American event.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:47 am

that is completely right. Their announcement was wholly mis-judged and a complete shambles. Bethesda showed them how to do it right with their mobile Fallout game.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:34 pm

I tried out the phone version yesterday and it seems pretty well made if a very basic version of Diablo. It's also riddled with microtransactions of the worst kind. This being a good example of the kind of stuff the game has, completing a dungeon gives you the opportunity to buy some stuff from the store.

Loot wise it seems like it is a repeat of the Diablo 3 launch with the auction house being one of the best places to find loot rather than in game.

I tried the PC version this evening and it's seems to just be the mobile version running in some kind of shell, nothing is changed from the mobile client it even has "tap here" messages all over the place. Controller support is also broken with massive stick drift.

None of this is really a surprise.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:58 pm

Wow, that is absolutely dire. Do a dungeon to get the opportunity to buy some loot? To hell with this company.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:14 am

I knew the monetisation was going to be bad when the game was announced as banned in several European countries, and rather than releasing separate versions there, Blizzard just said "fair enough".

In fairness though, it's a free-to-play mobile game (even if they're trying to masquerade it as a PC game too); this sort of stuff isn't unusual. That doesn't make it ok of course, I just don't think it should be a surprise that it's awful. Look back at the start of this thread for what surrounded the game's announcement; it was a train wreck from the beginning and I'm more surprised it was ever released rather than quietly dropped.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:41 am

Raid wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:14 am
I knew the monetisation was going to be bad when the game was announced as banned in several European countries, and rather than releasing separate versions there, Blizzard just said "fair enough".

In fairness though, it's a free-to-play mobile game (even if they're trying to masquerade it as a PC game too); this sort of stuff isn't unusual. That doesn't make it ok of course, I just don't think it should be a surprise that it's awful. Look back at the start of this thread for what surrounded the game's announcement; it was a train wreck from the beginning and I'm more surprised it was ever released rather than quietly dropped.
Yeah it's not a surprise but this game takes all the awful monetisation ideas that people have come up with over the years and shoved them into one game. I expected monetisation but considering how the more premium free to play mobile games have trended over the last few years I didn't think it would be this bad. Even looking at something like the CoD mobile games it's leagues beyond that.