VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

Re: VR!

Post by Alan » Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 am

Och aye but I’m trying to make it last as long as possible especially because you’d have to be a right numpty to build anew pc right now (sorry Raid -_-). It’s been a fantastic cpu/machine and it still plays what I want it to play more than adequately.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 pm

Hey, I started with CPU/motherboard before the chip shortage happened and my new GPU was only a little above the RRP, so I've mostly avoided the nonsense.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 am

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon May 17, 2021 4:52 am

If you have a quest 2 and want a fresh non-stinky face pad you can grab one for free because the old one was making people itchy.

https://support.oculus.com/1504463656600795

Also, man Pistol Whipped is so good!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon May 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Nice one eVoL, thanks!

The wee mans face is always bright red when he's been playing I just assuming he was a bit of a sweaty beast, turns out he might not be as sweaty as I thought. :)

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 pm

You're making me want to buy a Quest 2. Sigh.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Christmas 2022 for the next PSVR apparently...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... 022-report

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:17 pm

I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with the platform advertising games available on said platform, but let's be honest, it's not going to stop there is it? Facebook is an information dealer, and they're not going to get much useful information by only advertising their own products. With targeted ads in VR, they're going to know exactly how long a consumer focused on said ads and that information can be used to better advertise in future ads.

I know, I know, "Facebook = Bastards" is the world's hottest take.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:17 pm

So I've gone and bought myself a HP Reverb G2, the undisputed king of VR headsets for sim experiences, moving on from my Rift S. I did have some frustrating issues getting it working; there was a glitch in the Windows Mixed Reality app that made the headset constantly flick from displaying an environment and a black void once a second... and it only happened when the hand controllers were switched on. Then it wouldn't even let me set up my playspace for standing experiences because I don't have a 1.5m x 2m play area (it was perfectly fine with the Rift), and you need to awkwardly move the headset itself around the area in your hands rather than just pointing and drawing a line virtually with the controllers. Suffice to say that the Oculus new user experience was superior in every way.

But the hype was worth believing; there is no visible screen door effect, and the resolution is so high that I can now read every single tiny dial and HUD element in my DCS F-16 cockpit without needing to zoom in. I can read this forum perfectly clearly with a virtual desktop window taking up only a small portion of my vision. It's also more comfortable, although I haven't quite got the fit right. It pivots around the front of the strap, allowing you to put the headset to your eyes and then pull the strap down around the back of your head, which is a much nicer way of getting in and out of the headset.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:54 am

Gets you away from Facebook too. I don't use my Rift enough to justify another VR hat any time soon (plus my office is not big enough to be able to play most standing games) but if I were in the market, the recent FB related developments would be sufficient that any Oculus product would not make the short-list.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:14 am

Yeah, I vowed not to buy another Facebook headset, but to be honest they don't appear interested in the high-end PC VR market now, so I was always going to be looking elsewhere after the Rift S regardless of ownership.

I'm massively looking forward to moving into my new place (hopefully next month), not least because I'm finally going to have some space for VR stuff. I'm going to be buying myself a more permanent sim rig, and I think about a 2m x 2m standing space. I've finally bought HL:Alyx (which is currently 40% off) in preparation.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:47 pm

A few more impressions. I'm much more comfortable wearing my glasses in this one - they technically fit in the Rift S but there was so little space between the the glasses and the headset lenses that I was scared of scratching. There's also more space in the sides of the Reverb, and the face cushion is so much softer that the arms of my glasses fit better. I can see reasonably well without my glasses, but it does induce a bit of eye strain after a couple of hours, so I'm happy now that I can wear them.

The sweet spot is easier to find in the Reverb, but it's definitely still not possible to move your eyeballs around a scene, you still need to move your entire head to look around if you want things to be in focus. That being said, the significantly better sharpness from the lack of SDE and the higher resolution makes it easier to focus on things that aren't quite in focus anyway, so it's a big improvement.

I'm delighted that DCS, a notoriously badly optimised game, runs almost as well as in my Rift despite the phenomenal number of pixels this thing has (9.6 million, a million more than 4k). I'm glad I have a 3080, as I suspect you really do need something of that calibre for a smooth experience, although HP claim a 2070 super would be capable. I've barely touched Alyx as I need more space to play it, but the opening scene ran smooth as butter at the highest settings, and looked absolutely phenomenal for a VR game.

I remember when I bought the Rift S that it made the original Rift CV1 feel like a proof of concept for what VR should be. I now feel the same way about the Rift S - it's such a massive step up in terms of visual quality that the Rift immediately feels like ancient tech, and that's before I even talk about the audio solution.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:56 pm

So it turns out that Steam VR defaults to 100% render resolution, which you'd think would be fine and I didn't pay it any attention when I set the Reverb up. What I failed to notice was that the actual resolution that 100% represented was twice my headset's actual resolution, and that I have in fact been rendering the equivalent of two 4K screens when in VR. I knew the 3080 was a powerful GPU, but that's ridiculous.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:06 pm