VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Alan

VR!

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Still a thing right?

Did anyone pick up Budget Cuts? The demo was the first thing that sold me on VR but I had sold my Vive by the time it finally came out and now I’m pondering a cheap WMR headset. I really do miss playing some of those games and god damn I want to play Superhot again!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Re: VR!

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:04 pm

I don't think I've put my headset on in the last six months, but that's largely down to my taking a break from DCS (the game I won't play without VR). Budget Cuts did look amazing back before the headsets actually launched, but it was about 18 months too late to capitalise on the hype I think. I'll likely pick it up when I see it on sale.

The best VR-only experience I've had was Robo Recall. It's a brilliant arcade shooter that I think nicely demonstrates the technology while remaining genuinely fun to play.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 pm

same. Bought myself a headset and used it about 6 times :(

Looking back - kind of waste of money to be honest, its just too much hassle setting up the damn thing
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 am

Budget Cuts was on my wish list for ages as I played the demo loads of times and made other people play it too but it came out slightly too late and by then things like Fallout 4 and Skyrim had come out which although took a bashing in some places were still triple A games in VR.

The Pimax has peaked my interest as it's a resolution upgrade and also FOV increase. But waiting for all th epre-orders to be fulfilled and will wait for the general public to review it rather than 'beta' testers.

I tried Google Earth again just a few days ago and that is still amazing. Still too many flat places with no z axis but the ones that do have it are amazing.
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:15 am

I still use my VR headset quite a bit, although I haven't since getting the new GFX card in place which is a large oversight that I will remedy soon. I expect I will use it more over the winter - summer was a killer as they generate heat which with the summer we were having was a very sweaty experience!

Robo Recall is indeed superb, a whole heap of fun. My main challenge is space, as in my office doesn't have much of it, so Budget Cuts while very appealing would also be very limited for me, hence I haven't picked it up.

Elite Dangerous is my go-to VR title, it just takes the experience and utterly transforms it (although planetary landings where you move to a buggy to get around give me massive motion sickness so I just ignore those).

Assetto Corsa is fun, but again motion sickness is a thing, so only in short bursts. I don't know why I can happily fly around in space with no adverse effect, but sit me in a car on a track and I start feeling queasy. I think I may just need to practice and overcome it.

I picked up The Blu recently. While it is largely a VR tech demo, it is pretty amazing. Standing on the bridge of a sunken ship and having a huge whale swim by and eyeball you is fucking mental.

SuperHot in VR is the absolute bollocks too. As is Beat Saber.

I have tried out some titles like Rec Room which seem interesting but have not fully clicked with me. I also picked up Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades which is a gun-nut's fetish game - loads of weapons to blast the shit out of various shooting galleries with. A bit clunky control wise but not a bad way to pass some time.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 pm
same. Bought myself a headset and used it about 6 times :(
Oh I've used mine tonnes, just not recently.

I think the extremely warm temperatures we had in early summer were partially responsible for my not using the Rift; it gets sweaty enough wearing it at the best of times, but in thirty degree weather it's not pleasant.

Snowy, you've just reminded me that I actually bought Superhot VR but never played it. It was on sale earlier this year and I think I grabbed it using the free £10-off voucher that Oculus gave everybody when they fucked up last year and stopped every single Rift from working for a day or two.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 am

Since getting my new PC that can actually run the games at full speed, I’ve hardly played any VR games, except for smashing through Robo Recall. There’s a game I would gladly pay for some DLC for, it was the absolute pinnacle of VR shooters for me. Superhot was awesome too, but not quite as good IMO.

Assetto Corsa is my most-played VR game by far. Zooming around Spa in a nice Ferrari is such unadulterated fun, even just against the bots.

Not long after I got my headset I played a good few hours of Elite, but that was with a mate showing me around. I have no clue what I’m doing in that game so haven’t gone back to it since. I’d love for someone to show me the ropes properly.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am

@Raid - play it, it is bloody ace.

@Drarok, happy to put a wing together and take you for some fun, you will learn loads and be off doing your own thing before you know it. Just let me have an evening you want to go for it.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

From Maximum PC (this month edition)
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm

The thing that is missing is the killer app - that game. Mine came on the back of a work bonus so in reality only cost me £150 for the rift, and I have easily had that much enjoyment and more from it.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Have to say I'm not tempted at all yet by VR. Maybe a little for playing ED but that is the limit of it. It's far too intrusive and isolating for my liking but more so....there just isn't the developer take up to justify spending a lot of dolla on it and faffing with finicky set up.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Setup of the rift was a doddle, and it utterly transforms E:D, the sensation of being there is something else.

Would I pay £400 for the privelege - that's a hell of an outlay for one title even though you would enjoy others too. As I say I chose to use an unexpected work bonus and it hacked the price right down (and prevented the usual of my getting Amazon vouchers only to have the wife spend them :)) so je regrette rien 8-)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm

ED looked like shit in the Vive so I never really got to play much. The sensation was amazing but you couldn’t read a damn thing. Killer app though, that’s superhot in my mind.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Alm

Post by Alm » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:13 pm

I would use VR just for films if they could get them at a decent resolution. I don't know how far off that is.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 am

Alan wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm
ED looked like shit in the Vive so I never really got to play much. The sensation was amazing but you couldn’t read a damn thing. Killer app though, that’s superhot in my mind.
So while it is definitely true that the text is not so crisp via VR as when viewed on a monitor (unsurprisingly), using the Rift I have absolutely no problem reading any of it. I find glancing across and having the navigation, chat and ship status screens pop up such a natural way to interface with it all too, not to say soooo much faster. I can make navigation changes, docking requests etc in the blink of an eye and never really notice the text.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018