VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Snowy

Re: VR!

Post by Snowy » Thu May 02, 2019 5:36 pm

I had a similar issue but resolved it by swapping the connectors around.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid

Post by Raid » Thu May 02, 2019 6:52 pm

No amount of swapping made any difference. I had a total of 10 USB ports prior to today, 6 of which were USB 3 and 4 USB 2. I've tried every combination I can think of swapping between the two types.

The Inateck card arrived, and after it took an hour to fit (there was some sort of problem with the PCIE version my motherboard was using), the problem remains. It's improved, sure, it seems having one sensor plugged into the existing ports and one into the new card is the best solution, but the tracking isn't perfect and it loses its positioning fairly frequently. Part of this is probably down to my sensor placement; this room isn't particularly helpful in its layout and the cables for the sensors just aren't long enough to mount them to the walls as I suspect is needed. I know you can buy extension leads, but that's another minefield of unsupported hardware to navigate and I'm done spending money trying to sort it anyway.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to when the new range of headsets is in the public's hands so I can decide what to replace this thing with.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri May 03, 2019 10:14 am

What an odd and infuriating problem. 😕

I don't know that many people with VR headsets personally, but of the ones I do (who also have Oculus rather than Vive), I've not heard of the tracking being so woeful!

Odd question… are there any large reflective surfaces in the room? Mirrors, windows, etc?

Raid

Post by Raid » Fri May 03, 2019 10:36 am

The tracking is affected by the occasional disconnects rather than it being a consistent problem. In Superhot yesterday one of the sensors disconnected, and when it reconnected the system thought my left hand was about two feet to the right of where it was, and the game then played completely normally but with one hand offset. This only happened once, and restarting the software sorted it. I don't think the *quality* of tracking is much of an issue, though I'd have to go and play something like Space Pirate Trainer or Robo Recall to check, as those are titles I've played before.

My comments on room layout are more to do with occlusion than anything else. There aren't any reflective surfaces that the sensors can see and neither one can see the window, but there are odd little angles where objects on my desk do hide the controllers from them. The two sensors are placed at different heights, so I would have thought that they'd be capable of dealing with one sensor being blocked, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's irritating though that the software will not allow me to have both sensors pointed inwards so that they can cover the same area; the setup process forces you to "correct" their angle so that they're parallel, even in my very small play area where double coverage would obviously be beneficial. If you ignore the setup procedure the software does work, but you can't use the Guardian system, and as my room is filled with model robots that wouldn't stand an impact with a controller, I'm not prepared to do that.

Raid

Post by Raid » Sun May 05, 2019 2:35 pm

So with my new and better functioning sensor setup, I've finally gotten around to putting some time in with Superhot VR. The original Superhot was one of my favourite indie games of recent years, but sadly I've found the VR version pretty frustrating. Granted, I don't have a very large play area (I basically have to play standing still), and the game can be difficult to play with this restriction. Unlike most arcade shooters I've tried in VR, there doesn't appear to be any sort of teleport ability, and objects that you need to complete a challenge are occasionally out of reach. You don't seem to be able to affect objects that are outside of your field of view either - I've found myself reaching for objects that are flying over my head and even when I know my hand should be in a position to grab it, it doesn't work. Throwing doesn't seem very intuitive either; in the original I got used to throwing empty guns at enemies to make them drop their own, but I just can't seem to get the trajectories right in this. And lastly, it feels like there should be an easy way of advancing time without having to dance a little jig - there's a level that starts with you literally dancing in a club surrounded by people with guns, and you just need to survive for long enough before it lets you move to the next position, and it's just a bit dull having to wave your hands around constantly to advance time.

I can see what they were going for with this, and clearly publishing the game when they did has worked out exceedingly well, but I think this one needed a little longer in the oven for my tastes.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun May 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Aye when you play it standed it's a right mess at times. Things always seem to be that bit further than your reach or the next part Triangle thing is inside you or behind you. Had to rearrange the room to make it more playable.

Throwing things I just got used to wrist flicks and it seemed to work better for me in hitting the dudes.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.