Epic Game Store - Epic's Steam Competitor

Steam, Deals & More.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Epic Games launch their Steam competitor

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 pm

The Epic Store are sponsoring the PCGamer show at E3 this year and have said they will be announcing more exclusives there.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 am

Despite saying they weren't going to do sales as sales are apparently bad, Epic are apparently preparing a sale on their store.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 15, 2019 11:45 am

Hm... one would almost think that sales haven't been matching their expectations :-k

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed May 15, 2019 12:11 pm

I wish I could find the quote where Epic said they wouldn't have store-wide sales.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Epic Game Store sale has started and it's a bit bananas. There are some really deep discounts on games that haven't been out that long and even discounts on games not even out.

Operencia is just £8
Phoenix Point is down to £21.

They are also giving you a £10 voucher off any order over £14 and anyone who has bought a game that is now on sale in the last two weeks can apply for a refund. Seems that Epic is eating the cost of the refund and the £10 voucher.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 16, 2019 1:48 pm

All feels a bit like desperation, given their previous stance over sales on their store.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm

OK so it's a bit more confusing than first thought. All games on the store during the sale have an Epic voucher applied to them that gets £10 off but not all games are in the sale. If the sale price is below £16 they don't get the £10 voucher applied to them.

I don't think it is necessarily desperate just Epic throwing their money around to get people to use the store and cheap games work better and are better PR than exclusives.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 16, 2019 2:09 pm

So remember when Epic were crowing about how well the new Metro game sold compared to the previous entry in the series. Well apparently they were comparing sales to the Last Light Complete Edition which came out way after launch of the base game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 16, 2019 2:13 pm

It was always pretty obvious they were full of shit.

Reading between the lines, I suspect the results of their exclusivity push has been underwhelming, a sale is fine in and of itself, but they really did make a song and dance about not doing anything like this, with a clear dig at Steam, so to pull a full-180 so soon suggests things are going less well than hoped.

I must admit the offer of getting the next Subnautica game for just over a fiver while it's still in Early Access is mightily tempting, but nope still not going there I'm afraid.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Interesting article about the Epic Store.

http://robf.punchingrobots.club/index.p ... /12/tails/

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu May 16, 2019 5:53 pm

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Epic Games Store - Epic's Steam Competitor

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Bloodlines 2 has been removed from the store, apparently Paradox are not happy with the sale. The Steamspy guy that now works for Epic claimed that they knew about the sale but is apparently backtracking on that now. Oxygen Not Included has also been removed. This is turning into a bit of a clustertruck.

EDIT: Galyonkin is now saying Paradox did not know about the sale.

Lee

Re: Epic Game Store - Epic's Steam Competitor

Post by Lee » Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm

This is why you can't trust that lying sack of shit about anything to do with the store. I am enjoying the clusterfuck they've turned it into though :lol:
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

Over the course of a few hours yesterday the price of Hades yo-yoed around. Before I went to bed it was at £8.99 and when I woke up this morning it was back down to £5.49.

Interesting that none of the major news sites have reported on this mess, only Kotaku so far and they have given Epic a complete pass.
It is, to an extent, understandable that the Epic Games Store wouldn’t nail running a store-wide sale on its first try.
They also claim Steam took ages to get sales right which sounds like nonsense to me. Their sales have gone through many different iterations but they were working from the start and you didn't have all this price confusion.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 am

Another day, another twist in the Epic Game sale saga, today Borderlands 3 has been removed from pre-order on the store.