never had a one night stand

Not sure if I missed out ? :lol:
No, me either.

Achtung Englander

Re: And that's me unsubscribed from Mack

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:32 am

Solitaire wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:30 am
I'm not sure the girl I'd really want to spend the rest of my life with actually exists.
she doesn't and if she did you would probably end up hating her anyway. Relationships is about getting to know the person and loving them for their good and bad and hope that sentiment is also replicated by her. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Who knows ? It's a gamble.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:51 am

Speak for yourself, I met my partner in the second week of university, we were together within two weeks and have been together for a decade come this October. Nothing about it has ever felt like a gamble to me. Telling someone that it will never happen to them just because it hasn't happened to you is very cynical.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:59 am

what on earth are you talking about, ofcourse its a bloody gamble. You cannot make or know the future. When you met her you gambled it was going to work out well and it did. Unless you have a personal God that told you in advance what tomorrow will be like.

And I did not say it will not happen to him - for fuck sake man - reread what I said

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Well by that logic literally everything you ever do is a gamble on the outcome because you can't truly know whether you'll be successful. At that point it becomes utterly meaningless to define things in such terms.

It is possible to meet someone and have a pretty clear idea in your head that you want to spend the rest of your life with them and it won't feel like much of a risk.

Things haven't been 100% harmonious at times over the years, but I know enough now to safely say that my partner and I are in it for the long run. Unless of course she gets hit by a train tomorrow, but who can say, life is such a gamble.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Well by that logic literally everything you ever do is a gamble on the outcome because you can't truly know whether you'll be successful.
exactly mate. I would never say to a single person you will never find love nor will I say you will. You hope for the best and let fate do its thing BUT I will say you need to make your own luck. Sitting back and hoping for a good result is not a plan. If someone is looking for love, you have to do that, look for it. You need to be something that another human being will want to spend their time with.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Sitting back and hoping for a good result is not a plan.
That I completely agree with. Some people are genuinely lucky in that love finds them, but sitting back and assuming love will find you is no plan at all. I foolishly did that for a long time. I remember there was a period in my mid-twenties when people were saying "don't worry, you'll find the one" or that sort of shite, and while they were presumably just being supportive it was awful advice, and I believed it. Love is not a certainty on a long enough timeline. Sometimes you have to go after it.

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 pm
You need to be something that another human being will want to spend their time with.
This is indeed a problem I've faced. :lol:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Some people are genuinely lucky in that love finds them,
*waves* Hello! My wife literally knocked on my front door.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm
It wasn't the flaming bag of poop trick, was it? Always a classic, that one.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm
no no don't go there - a single person needs to get out and find it. If your partner literally knocks on your door and romance commences, brilliant, but please don't tell singledoms to sit back and wait for it. It ain't going to happen.. Its like your career / job. You need to work towards getting your dream job. It took me years and starting from the bottom to get a job that I want to do as opposed to doing a job I have to do. Relationships is the same. You need to work at it. Get a social life, make friends, join clubs, go to dancing lessons, try online dating etc etc

Final advice - forget finding one at the gym, unless you are genuinely interested in someone who wants to get fit. That is a waste of money.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Not sure where I said all that. I thought I was quite clearly making a joke about how my wife knocked on my front door.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:57 pm

My wife knocks on my door all the time. She keeps forgetting her keys.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:54 pm
Not sure where I said all that. I thought I was quite clearly making a joke about how my wife knocked on my front door.
I read that literally - like you met your partner on the front door :lol:

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:11 pm

I did, but it was still a joke in that I don't expect everyone to have that experience.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 pm

There's no "I'm better than you" in my writing. We should treat each other with at least a modicum of respect, unless it isn't deserved, as well as ourselves. Most everybody enjoys sex. Having ten dozen partners? That's a bit over the top, yeah sorry not into girls like that.

SJW is a pejorative, by definition. It denotes a certain type of wacko, militant, short-sighted stereotype. It is not denigrating those that truly want 'social justice' and the end to inequality across cultures.

As for your shithead speech on consent - you obviously don't know me very well, Strudel, and we'll leave that part alone. You've made up some story in your head about what I said, extrapolating to somewhere that I never went. I'm speaking of girls who regret it in the morning, after having said YES all fucking night long, then getting the guy tossed in jail after. In the "he said, she said" scenario, the guy will always loose. How's that for equality?

Now fuck off.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?