General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Hatredsheart

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu May 25, 2023 2:17 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:54 am
I also can't get past Gollum's weird hair, which has vibes of Frank's date night wig in It's Always Sunny. :lol:
If it has the line " You've got to pay the troll toll if you want to have the hobbit's hole" then I'd consider a preorder.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu May 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:14 am

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/redfal ... new-report
Went into development just as Zenimax was trying to sell the company to Microsoft, along with Fallout 76 and Wolfenstein New Blood. Arcane Studios lost 70% of the original dev team that made Prey and Dishonored during the making of Redfall and the remainder hoped it would be cancelled once Microsoft took over. Basically a game that should never have been made. This doesn't bode well for Starfield.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:00 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:14 am
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/redfal ... new-report
Went into development just as Zenimax was trying to sell the company to Microsoft, along with Fallout 76 and Wolfenstein New Blood. Arcane Studios lost 70% of the original dev team that made Prey and Dishonored during the making of Redfall and the remainder hoped it would be cancelled once Microsoft took over. Basically a game that should never have been made. This doesn't bode well for Starfield.
I know it is the thing currently to dog on Microsoft but I don't think this has much bearing on how Starfield will turn out. Starfield is being developed by a settled team with a defined vision, it's a totally different situation to Redfall. That doesn't mean it will automatically be good but if it isn't, it will be for different reasons to Redfall.

Just on the 70% turnover, considering the time between Prey and Redfall that isn't uncommon for a studio. I have a friend who works in development and they say the average length of time for someone to stay at a studio is 2 years and after a game has been released is usually a good time to move on. The original Bloomberg article is a bit hyperbolic on the turnover. Lack of direction, switching the type of game it was three years into development, lack of developers who had made a multiplayer game before and a small team were much more influential in the game turning out the way it did than some staff leaving.

EDIT: On a slight side note. I find the current desire for certain companies to fail, or people revelling in it happening, to be very weird. People were doing something similar with Sony after their showcase last week. We should want all games to succeed as it only helps the industry. I thought console warrior stuff had died a death over the last generation but it appears to be back in full force this gen.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:29 am

I primarily use the Xbox so I really want Microsoft to succeed in gaming :lol: I don't think the console fanboy wars will ever end, there's a new crop of them with every generation. The Sony presentation was dull but at least they generally release very polished first party games.

I think Redfall is being held up as an example with all that's bad in gaming of late, a piss poor, unfinished mess that no one really wanted. My fear with Starfield is that it's Bethesda and that if it's just passable on release that's good enough for them. The "We'll fix it later... probably" mentality is strong there.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:22 pm

So a bit like XCOM but without the turn based combat.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:29 am

A grand strategy game from Paradox set in TNG? Oh shit! :mrgreen:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:36 am

So is playing the Cardassian Union considered hard mode, given that they're at best a local power? :P

I'm definitely interested. I like the idea of these sorts of games, but every time I think of picking one up I come up against the same issue; they're not Star Trek or Star Wars, and I find it hard to get invested. I missed Birth of the Federation back in the day (and I was perfectly happy with MoO2 at the time anyway), but it's nearly a quarter of a century old now.

Anyway, seemingly this is set "a few decades" prior to TNG, which doesn't really make sense given there are Galaxies, Intrepids and Borg in the trailer. Hopefully it just means the game will span a good amount of time as it'll let them use not only all of the big events of the series, but also all of the smaller ones that are only ever mentioned and never seen.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:35 pm

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/embrac ... tructuring

What was the point of all those acquisitions?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:24 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:35 pm
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/embrac ... tructuring

What was the point of all those acquisitions?
I think some of this was to be expected to a degree, you buy that many studios and publishers and you are going to have a lot of overlap in terms of roles. Probably a bit of over overreach in there as well.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:57 am

Enjoy some new Redfall gameplay after a massive 32GB update...

I have no fucking words man.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:59 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:57 am
Enjoy some new Redfall gameplay after a massive 32GB update...

I have no fucking words man.
Whats the angle here, am I missing something?

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Basically that the game has had a 32GB update that is said to improve enemy ai responsiveness and given the time stamp showing enemies still completely mindless shooting into the fucking air (5:22) that the update clearly hasn't delivered. Performance fixes mean nil if the core gameplay is still complete garbage.

I was really looking forward to this game once.

What I guess I am getting at is that I am currently playing Borderlands 2, a game from as far back as 2012. Entering any new area in that game no matter the funky weapons I own or class and extras I have equipped I always always feel like I am being adequately challenged by the enemies. I have to work all of those systems adequately to progress successfully and that is in part along with new loot my reward - to not have that in a first-person shooter is an irredeemable cluster fuck that makes it pointless to even play. To have enemies that just don't react to you or even if they do only do so poorly as shown in the above video, why even bother?

We all know now just how Arkane and Redfall got here, it should never have been released because they had no love for what it was they had to produce and no amount of 30GB updates are ever really going to rectify that huge mistake. Move on and be done with it.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:22 am

How to say you don't have kids without saying you don't have kids:

https://www.pcgamer.com/i-cant-function ... aesthetic/

:lol:

Every time I get something approaching a sense of order on my desk, it immediately gets filled with various artworks, toy accessories, felt tips, picture books, hair ties and sprays and endless other shit lol

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:51 am

Lennyquantum wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:37 pm
Basically that the game has had a 32GB update that is said to improve enemy ai responsiveness and given the time stamp showing enemies still completely mindless shooting into the fucking air (5:22) that the update clearly hasn't delivered. Performance fixes mean nil if the core gameplay is still complete garbage.
I've not played the game since the update but I'm not sure footage of one enemy shooting like that is proof that the patch has done nothing. I wouldn't expect one patch to fix everything though, as there are a lot of issues with the game, some of which I'm not sure can be fixed by patches. From reading the notes about AI and enemy density and a few other things, it seems like they are addressing some of the more glaring issues but ultimately I'm not sure that is going to make the game more fun.