General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Animalmother
Local

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Animalmother » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:58 am

Aliens: Fireteam Elite

Watched a few reviews and all are pretty positive so far. It's a co-op cover based shooter set a few years after the events in the films. Story is hand waved aside in favour of the gameplay which consists of getting from point A to B while mowing down waves of aliens. All the weapons and iconic sound effects are there. Co-op sounds like a requirement as the single player hasn't been given much thought by the sounds of it.
Not really tempted myself (one doesn't do co-op with randos...) but it is surprisingly cheap for a new game.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 am

Classic 1999 action-adventure Outcast is getting a sequel after 20 years.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021 ... g-a-sequel

I loved Outcast, it's one of my favourite games from the 90s, and one of the first open-world games I can remember playing. It had an intangible quality to it that I've never quite nailed down, a combination of the truly astounding (for the time) visuals and surprisingly low-bit-rate voices combined with a soundtrack recorded with a real orchestra (in an era where games were still using midi) perhaps. It had a very unique feel and atmosphere to it.

I think there was a follow-up game in development years ago that never saw the light of day, but that was so long ago that I assume this is completely new. The landscapes certainly look impressive, but the few moments of gameplay revealed don't really thrill me.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:06 am

There was a remake a few years back, Second Contact. It was alright iirc

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am

Yeah, I own it. It was a good remake, they really nailed the visual style despite adding tons of extra detail, but sadly it's a pretty clunky game by today's standards and I couldn't get into it.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:51 pm

That's a shame. Fingers crossed the sequel turns out better.

I quite enjoyed the original myself way back when. Back in the golden age of voxels.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:52 am

Sure you've all seen it by now, but a massive hack at Twitch, and apparently also potential risks for Amazon as a result - change your passwords.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/security-exp ... ssibly-be/

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:45 am

Saw the headlines and assumed it was a data leak, but no, they've got the entire source code for Twitch. :shock:

Yeah, it's bad. The problem isn't that passwords have been leaked (only hashed passwords were leaked), it's that the textbook for exploiting every vulnerability in the system is now public. Changing passwords won't stop hackers from engineering their own exploits in the future, and it's not something Twitch can resolve quickly. As a software dev, this is a nightmare scenario.

I'm very close to deleting my Twitch account until further notice, but unfortunately my Twitch login is tied to my dndbeyond account, and I'm not sure if that would delete all the content I've bought on there too (literally hundreds of pounds worth of digital books). If I can disassociate the accounts, I'll be doing just that.

EDIT - The good news is that it's dead easy to disassociate dndbeyond with Twitch on your dndbeyond account page. Linked it to my Google account instead. Fingers crossed Google doesn't get hacked next. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:07 am

I hadn't thought about that, I'll do that as well.

Edit, as you say, the work of about two seconds to do that :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:01 am

I take it it's wise to disassociate my Twitch and Amazon accounts then? I don't give a damn about my Twitch account, I never even watch stuff on it, I literally just use it to claim rewards from the Prime connection.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am

I'd say isolating your Twitch account as much as possible is not a bad idea right now. I do watch Critical Role on Twitch using my free Prime subscription each month, so I'm loathe to disassociate them, but it's a pretty catastrophic leak.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:24 am

I've done that and also changed my Amazon password. Probably unnecessary, but to be honest I think I've had the same Amazon password for a decade now so it needed doing (not that I've ever had any unauthorised use of that account), as it was from long before I started using a random password generator.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:39 am

Critical Role does come to Youtube a few days after the livestream on Twitch too, so if you're not bothered about waiting a little bit then unlinking the Prime wouldn't be all that bad.

I've unlinked mine and changed my password for both. Overkill I know, but I was using very old passwords, pre-random generator time too.

The shocking thing is just how much some of these streamers are earning. They have the gall to pretend to be one of the "little guys" and ask for donations when they're raking in over $60,000 a month in subs.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Binned my account. Never used it anyway and with very few exceptions loathed every fucker who I saw streaming (Devin Townsend and our own Lee get a pass).
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:12 pm

Same. Didn't want them getting to my Rockstar Club account which I only used for discounts and the like.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Quake now has next gen editions for ps5 and xsx. Good thing here is they've used the ps5s compression and got it from 2gb to 500mb. Rock on.