General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: General Gaming News

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed May 11, 2022 7:29 pm

They have kept the name for so long partly because of brand recognition, the majority of people playing FIFA wont necessarily know who even makes the game. It will probably help that nobody else will be in a position to bring a game called FIFA out at the same time as EA bring out their next football game so EA will have space to grow a new brand and to be honest the majority of people play FIFA for Ultimate Team so as long as they get the message out that this is the new place to FUT they will be fine.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed May 11, 2022 7:33 pm

FIFA seems determined to bring out their own game/s, I predict this will go the same way as Champ Man after SI split from Eidos to develop Football Manager.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu May 12, 2022 3:48 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu May 12, 2022 8:42 pm

I wonder if Microsoft are the ones making the delay. Todd Howard doesn't exactly have the best reputation on games that work when released.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri May 13, 2022 6:25 am

I can't say either interest me at all. As a fan of co-op I should be more interested in Redfall but the premise sounds pretty weak to me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 13, 2022 6:48 am

I'd say I was interested in Starfield, but that's only on a conceptual level as we know naff all about it as far as I'm aware. I like the aesthetic they've gone for.

I'm not remotely surprised it's been delayed; if it's anywhere near as ambitious as they've suggested, it's going to need polishing time that Bethesda don't usually give.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri May 13, 2022 7:02 am

On a slight tangent, it irked me that Bethesda employees said they were worried they'd have "another Cyberpunk" on their hands if they released Starfield this year as planned. I hate that a game that was perfectly playable on PC at launch has become the byword for buggy, shoddy messes... and also, it's Bethesda, surely they should be referencing Fallout 76 here instead?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri May 13, 2022 7:53 am

Animalmother wrote: ↑
Thu May 12, 2022 8:42 pm
I wonder if Microsoft are the ones making the delay.
I think that's likely. It's a little bit ironic as the last delayed Bethesda Studios first-party game was Oblivion, which was slated for November 2005 as a launch title for the Xbox 360, so MS can't have been too chuffed about it being moved to March 2006.

I'm very much looking forward to Starfield, but as always I'd rather it was done right.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri May 13, 2022 10:36 am

I'm always up for another Bethesda RPG, nobody quite makes games like them. I'm not too surprised it's been delayed though, considering the pandemic and how poorly things went with Fallout 76 the pressure is on for them to make sure the game works and as Raid says because of the scope it feels like a bigger undertaking than anything they have done previously.
On a slight tangent, it irked me that Bethesda employees said they were worried they'd have "another Cyberpunk" on their hands if they released Starfield this year as planned. I hate that a game that was perfectly playable on PC at launch has become the byword for buggy, shoddy messes... and also, it's Bethesda, surely they should be referencing Fallout 76 here instead?
I think Cyberpunk being the byword for a mess of a game is fair, despite the fact that some people could play it there were a lot of bugs and for some it was unplayable, especially on console. I managed to play through it without any major issues but still had some quests bug out, NPCs do weird things and a myriad of other things. Even now it still has quite a few major issues over a year after launch. Starfield is a lot more high profile than Fallout 76 was so Cyberpunk is a better reference point I think.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri May 13, 2022 1:16 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote: ↑
Fri May 13, 2022 10:36 am
I'm always up for another Bethesda RPG, nobody quite makes games like them. I'm not too surprised it's been delayed though, considering the pandemic and how poorly things went with Fallout 76 the pressure is on for them to make sure the game works and as Raid says because of the scope it feels like a bigger undertaking than anything they have done previously.
I think Cyberpunk being the byword for a mess of a game is fair, despite the fact that some people could play it there were a lot of bugs and for some it was unplayable, especially on console. I managed to play through it without any major issues but still had some quests bug out, NPCs do weird things and a myriad of other things. Even now it still has quite a few major issues over a year after launch. Starfield is a lot more high profile than Fallout 76 was so Cyberpunk is a better reference point I think.
It just feels a bit hypocritical coming from Betheseda when they've got the track record they have.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri May 13, 2022 2:00 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri May 13, 2022 3:07 pm

Sly Boots wrote: ↑
Fri May 13, 2022 1:16 pm
Fri May 13, 2022 10:36 am
It just feels a bit hypocritical coming from Betheseda when they've got the track record they have.
I agree with this, Cyberpunk is a more recent example but Bethesda's games are always broken jank at launch.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun May 15, 2022 9:25 am

Bethesda games are buggy but they are nowhere near the level Cyberpunk was on console, the game was unplayable for a lot of people. Sony took the PS4 version off the store because it was so bad.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun May 15, 2022 9:32 am

Sun May 15, 2022 9:25 am
Bethesda games are buggy but they are nowhere near the level Cyberpunk was on console, the game was unplayable for a lot of people. Sony took the PS4 version off the store because it was so bad.
There's no question in my mind that this Cyberpunk thing was a corporate screw-up and not a dev issue. I also believe that if the devs had been able to focus on the PC version, and latest console versions, instead of also taking the time, trying to cram this gorgeous game into a shoebox, it would have been an overall much more successful launch, with plenty more content that was promised but never delivered.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun May 15, 2022 3:35 pm

Another consideration is that unlike Cyberpunk, Starfield isn't attempting to run on the previous generation, which was the source of most of the ire directed at Cyberpunk. I think the real technical challenge for Bethesda will be around the changes they've made to their engine, which has various issues that have persisted ever since Oblivion (maybe even Morrowind?). They've had seven years to tinker with it since Fallout 4, so they must have done something substantial to it. God knows why they didn't just ditch the engine and spend seven years creating a state of the art one from scratch. They'd probably argue that all their devs have years of experience with it, but that sort of mindset can create tunnel vision in terms of what they think they can do. Imagine how good a Bethesda RPG could be if they took their creativity and applied it to a stable engine built to their exact requirements.