General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Mantis » Sat May 06, 2023 2:10 pm

Yeah I don't think the Microsoft first party lineup even comes close to the offering of Sony. That's not counting stuff that isn't first party but is still strictly speaking an exclusive too.

Sony has consistently made a bigger variety of more interesting games over the last two generations whilst Microsoft's offering seems to be actually be dwindling further.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 06, 2023 6:52 pm

I'm curious how different the work culture in the Sony studios is compared to the Microsoft ones. They consistently produce very high quality and often stunning looking games compared to MS who seem to sitting on their hands for the most part.

It must be very disheartening to see something you've worked on for probably years get released in a rush then get utterly panned by the gaming press and gamers.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat May 06, 2023 7:01 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:52 pm
I'm curious how different the work culture in the Sony studios is compared to the Microsoft ones. They consistently produce very high quality and often stunning looking games compared to MS who seem to sitting on their hands for the most part.

It must be very disheartening to see something you've worked on for probably years get released in a rush then get utterly panned by the gaming press and gamers.
I saw one commenter say that MS tends to be quite hands-off with their studios... maybe Sony keeps a tighter rein and has better quality control as a result?

Executive control isn't something I'd generally say is a good thing, but maybe if a higher-up had looked at Redfall a year or more ago and said this is shite and canned it, it would have been better overall?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun May 07, 2023 1:17 pm

this really boils down to the fact Satya Nadella is not interested in the Xbox business.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed May 24, 2023 8:55 pm

Assassins Creed Mirage trailer and release date

https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer- ... ore-171572
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 25, 2023 7:40 am

https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-a ... oject-cube

On the face of it, this seems like a weird thing to do. PS5 remote play is great when it works stably (which in my experience is about a third of the time, even on the same local network with zero other traffic and my PS5 connected via ethernet) and unusable when it doesn't, which is one flaw. But the bigger issue to me is that you can already achieve what is likely a better experience with remote play using a PS5 controller and an ipad. Which begs the question, what's the point in this?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu May 25, 2023 8:18 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:40 am
https://www.eurogamer.net/playstation-a ... oject-cube

On the face of it, this seems like a weird thing to do. PS5 remote play is great when it works stably (which in my experience is about a third of the time, even on the same local network with zero other traffic and my PS5 connected via ethernet) and unusable when it doesn't, which is one flaw. But the bigger issue to me is that you can already achieve what is likely a better experience with remote play using a PS5 controller and an ipad. Which begs the question, what's the point in this?
It's very ugly as well and doesn't appear to have much thought put into it, just a PS5 controller cut in half and a screen squished between the two halves.

EDIT: The event they revealed the handheld at was pretty poor as well. Showed some release dates for some third party stuff that I'll play like Dragons Dogma 2 and the new AC but nothing that convinces me that I need to buy a PS5 soon and some truly awful stuff like the Square Splatoon rip-off and pretty much everything shown in the first 20-30 minutes. Considering the hype that was building up before the show with talk of this being phase 2 of the PS5's life and expect some great first party stuff it was very underwhelming. Lots of service games shown as well especially PvPvE games which, no thanks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 25, 2023 11:30 am

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu May 25, 2023 11:34 am

Ffs Sony. Vita2 or gtfo.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 25, 2023 11:36 am

It was doomed from the start with a dubious concept that appears to have been executed poorly as well. It’s bewildering that of all the gaming potential of Middle Earth, this is what they went with.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 25, 2023 11:41 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 11:36 am
It was doomed from the start with a dubious concept that appears to have been executed poorly as well. It’s bewildering that of all the gaming potential of Middle Earth, this is what they went with.
They've gone for AAA-pricing as well (not seen the UK equivalent but seen $60 mentioned), which is astounding.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 25, 2023 11:54 am

I also can't get past Gollum's weird hair, which has vibes of Frank's date night wig in It's Always Sunny. :lol:

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu May 25, 2023 12:22 pm

I'm still amazed they've never made a proper open-ended LotR game, where you get to control the Fellowship and determine which members leave along the journey and where they go. With multiple pathways to Mordor, etc. Different 'What if' scenarios and so on.

I'd be all over that.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu May 25, 2023 1:35 pm

It was called Lords Of Midnight :) Still a better 'LOTR' based game than official ones
-- To be completed at some point --