General Gaming News

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Re: General Gaming News

Post by Raid » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Square Enix announces that NFTs are brilliant and you should buy some:

https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-t ... ntasy-nfts

This one's even weirder than most NFT stories; you buy an action figure, right? It comes with a digital, NFT version of that action figure! You can open the NFT on your phone!

And they don't seem to show even a hint of irony about promoting a game in which the heroic protagonists fight against an evil corporation syphoning the life force of the planet, by selling pointless energy wastage that's helping to kill our own.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:03 am

They are also selling a Cloud figure without an NFT, but once I’ve purchased it and it’s on my shelf in my house, how am I supposed to prove it’s uniquely mine if I don’t have a unique digital code saying so that took the energy of dozens of boiling kettles to derive? :-k Someone could claim otherwise, and then I’d be in a pickle.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:56 am

Exactly.

It almost feels like the concept of NFTs doesn't translate well into Japanese, because SE's concept doesn't make any sense at all.
"By using Efinity, fans can experience interactive NFTs without even realising they're on the blockchain. "
But isn't their being on the blockchain the entire sodding point? Are people going to worry about their digital assets if they think they're somehow not secured?

There's also a joke somewhere about your Digital Cloud being stored in the digital cloud, but I'm too fed up with this topic to finish it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:54 am

It’s ok, GameStop is here to make everyone else look better

https://www.pcgamer.com/gamestop-took-d ... dfucjyu9pb
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:24 pm

No words.

According to insiders, EA will soon be attached to multiple Marvel IP's the first to be based on Black Panther and developed by some ex Monolith names. It will be open world and single player in line with Insomniacs Spider-Man and EA's successful Fallen Order title. Another rumour - Naughty Dog's next game will be based on The Punisher.

https://venturebeat.com/2022/07/25/repo ... ther-game/
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 pm

After the way they wasted the Star Wars license why the hell would you let them now make Marvel games?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:36 am

Can't remember if we'd already mentioned the KOTOR remake, but it appears an early version of the demo didn't go over at all well...
The Force isn’t strong with the remake of classic RPG Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, which has been delayed indefinitely following a badly received demo shown internally at the end of June. Bloomberg reports that the game’s design director and art director were subsequently fired from developers Aspyr Media during the week after the demo was finalised. Sources from Aspyr told Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier that the game had been intended for a 2022 release, but that 2025 was more "realistic".

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:07 am

Uffff, how bad must it have been for the design and art directors to get fired? Apparently it's from the same people who remastered Resident Evil 2 which was excellent.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:56 am

I dont really get why battlepasses are so popular when its just a bunch of cosmetic rubbish.....

Oh..... :-s :-k :-"

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:36 am

A considerably early look at Dr Disrespects first Midnight Society studio title, Deadrop......

The game is set to be a BR tower based floor to floor survival game, think of it as a mix of Tarkov's pacing and a bit of Warzone's interior combat but constantly moving upwards into the fight. Eliminate to progress, all the while a burning fire is taking out levels below you pushing the playing narrative up and into combat. Rooftop is the extraction point (say hello to the footages helicopter) though there's no word on how many floors or players the game will have. It sounds very similar to The Division 2's 100 floor summit mode which I thoroughly enjoy.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:20 am

And it begins......
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/pc-games/
A dedicated launcher can't be too far behind.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:37 am

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-may-be-wor ... -launcher/

If that means they are expanding PS+ games to PC I'm fine with it being its own launcher. It would be neat if they brought trophies too. I wont buy games on it just like I wouldnt buy games on the XBox app but I wouldnt massively mind it if done right.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:52 pm

I had entirely forgotten that Homeworld 3 was in development, but I'm quite excited having seen that. Homeworld has I think one of the most memorable aural and visual styles which seems to be entirely intact in the new one, and now there's proper space terrain to contend with. Control was never an issue in Homeworld 2 (which is the only one I've actually played), but you didn't really need to stick close to ruined hulks for cover, so I'll be interested to see how it plays.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:21 am

Raid wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:52 pm

I had entirely forgotten that Homeworld 3 was in development, but I'm quite excited having seen that. Homeworld has I think one of the most memorable aural and visual styles which seems to be entirely intact in the new one, and now there's proper space terrain to contend with. Control was never an issue in Homeworld 2 (which is the only one I've actually played), but you didn't really need to stick close to ruined hulks for cover, so I'll be interested to see how it plays.
Other than the cover in that and the visuals being updated, it feels like it's bereft of new ideas. It may be that they need to reintroduce the game to the current generation of players or they're trying to reasure the original players with familiarity though.

It's still as beautiful as ever and the score sounds on point. I hope it can conjure up that amazing feeling of the vastness of space and isolation. It's a game where I really would like some open world aspects to come in to allow you to choose your own route through it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:17 am

The terrain / cover mechanics are potentially game-changing, it depends on how extensively they're used. I think Homeworld 2 had some very basic terrain mechanics (nebulae or other gas clouds I think that obscured your probes) and they were certainly a point of interest, but they weren't used frequently enough to make a significant impact on gameplay.

Honestly I'm not sure how much new stuff I'd actually need; I haven't played HW2 in over 15 years, and it's not a game style that I think I've come across since.