Amazon Prime Day

Steam, Deals & More.
Achtung Englander

Amazon Prime Day

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:15 am

So whose going shopping ?

Picked up a second 3rd party Switch controller (these are so great at a fraction of the price)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

and the new front light Kindle as I like to read sometimes when the Mrs gets her head down and I cannot do that with my existing one - that is my excuse anyway !
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Everything else on my wishlist is not discounted :( but a friend showed me camelcamelcamel on Saturday so I will do not need to keep on checking when items hit my go to price.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Re: Amazon Prime Day

Post by Raid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

I'm considering a cordless Dremel for helping with a few 3D printing tasks, but at £80-odd on sale it's still a fairly big investment.

I must admit I tend to approach Prime day with a bit of caution, because a lot of the deals aren't actually worth having compared to the normal prices. I was looking at the XBox One S models and they're the same price today that they were a few weeks ago yet heralded as a deal. I think they've just discounted a particular set of bundles that aren't usually on offer, allowing them to say it's a price reduction when you could get a similar setup for that same price on any other day.

One thing that's worth noting is that Prime members get a flat 20% off anything from Amazon Warehouse (ie: refurbished or pre-owned stuff), which can give some pretty good prices even if they're not specific deals.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:37 am

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

That's a good site to check whether the 'deal' really is a deal or not.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Sony PlayStation Classic Console £16
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071G84NHX/ ... lDbSKQ22QE

Make £5 cash or £10 credit at cex ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm

I've used CCC for as long as its been available now, and it's the reason I cancelled Prime and dropped my Amazon spending to minimal amounts - that and trying to shrink some debt. I got fed up of Prime prices being postage amounts higher than marketplace deals - even though postage is free, the price was higher. If I want something now, I wait till the price drops below my CCC thresholds, or I don't bother, Prime membership tended to encourage me to spend on stuff I can really do without....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:09 pm

*sigh*

So I ended up buying a set of Sony 1000XM3 headphones on that 20% off Warehouse items offer, and clearly someone has switched the contents as what arrived was a set of very cheap headphones in the correct Sony packaging. I went straight to Amazon's support chat and they're sorting me a refund (although I'm a bit worried that, as I have to send the item back, I'm going to get screwed over when I return an item that obviously isn't what I ordered), but I was really looking forward to actually being able to hear my music and podcasts as I walk to work (I'm currently using a cheap set of on-ear bluetooth headphones after my wireless earbuds gave up the ghost a few months back - they don't block out any traffic noise).

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm

I have that set - they are superb !

Good choice. The noise cancellation is fantastic

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Yeah, I did a fair bit of research before hitting buy. My 3D printer and airbrush setup produce a lot of irritating noise, so the noise cancellation was important.

I do however suspect that the noise cancellation on these fuckers won't be quite so good.

The speed and lack of evidence required suggests that this happens with some regularity with Amazon. While they've said they're going to give me the 20% that I saved on the Warehouse deal (to therefore allow me to buy the product at the regular price), this isn't exactly reassuring and I'm debating whether to trust them again.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:19 pm

In my experience customer service with Amazon tends to be top notch, you always get the benefit of the doubt.

My prime day purchase was a litre of Kraken Black for £20. Bargainlicious, *hic*
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Yeah, I'm probably worrying over nothing. The most frustrating thing is that I had to return the cheap shit ones and couldn't go to town on them with the new Dremel that came in the same package. I could have destroyed them so well.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:38 pm
I have that set - they are superb !

Good choice. The noise cancellation is fantastic
Just a quick note to say the replacements arrived, and they were the actual thing I ordered this time. I've never used noise cancelling headphones before; it's a really bizarre sensation when they're switched on but not playing anything. It sounds as though my ears are wrapped with about a foot of cotton wool. It's an almost oppressive quiet. It's going to be glorious.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:33 pm

try it on a plane for 3 hours and then take them off - your ears will explode from the sound of the engine

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Looking at those headphones reminds me of a story with what used to be play.com

Many moons ago I pre ordered an Audioslave album. Get a text saying I had a parcel at home. Opened it with excitement to find...

An album full of James Bond theme tunes. At least you got something vaguely resembling what you ordered :lol:

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:33 pm
try it on a plane for 3 hours and then take them off - your ears will explode from the sound of the engine
I got a pair of the Bose ones about 4 years back - never fly without them now! Mind you i had good reason- 5 or 6 long haul flights over a few months! :D
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!