General thread on Game Development issues/terrible behaviour

Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Skyrim Composer and Night in the Woods Dev Accused of Rape

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 pm

I think at the very least, in these current times, everyone with a modicum of fame, influence or public image needs to be acutely aware of their actions, how they may be perceived, and the fact that even in cases where you don't believe you've acted inappropriately it can potentially leave you exposed to allegations down the line - whether you acted improperly without knowing it, or the other person didn't perceive things the same way as you. And, unfortunately, there are also cases where people make false allegations or exaggerate what occurred to inflate their own profile at the expense of the other person.

Everyone who is acting in good faith can take the required steps to protect against the above - treat other people with respect, don't be a creep, make sure there are other people around who can corroborate your version of events and so on. There will always be those who abuse their power and position, but for those who aren't consciously doing so and entering into something innocently, with everything that has and is happening, there really isn't an excuse.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm
I think you are taking agency away from everybody involved with such a blanket view. I think more men than you realise are fully aware of the awkward position they're put in with scenarios like this, even so far as something much smaller scale like a junior colleague in an office environment.

But to automatically leap to "this is a worrying abuse of power" when you have absolutely no knowledge of what actually occurred is simply demonizing every man who engages in it when there are plenty of women who know full well what they want and are happy to reciprocate. You simply can't know on a case by case basis.

It's one thing giving victims the strength to come forward where real criminal abuse has happened. But the fact that you are equating rape to a case of consenting adult relationships where a guy has cheated on his wife is really taking things too far.
I don't think anyone is saying in this case it is the same as rape, just that it is another issue where a power dynamic makes the relationship rather sketchy especially considering the stuff that sounds predatory. Nobody is saying everyone needs to stop these relationships just that you need to be careful when partaking in them.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Ubisoft VP resigns amid allegations that he assaulted a female employee:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/0 ... legations/

Another VP is being investigated while a Toronto-based employee has been fired for "engaging in behaviors that do not align with what is expected of Ubisoft employees".

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:45 pm

I believe that translates to Maximum Bellend.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 am

Looks like any reasoned or nuanced public discussion of cancel culture has gone out the window now that JK Rowling has waded into the debate with her personal brand of BS. #-o

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 am
Looks like any reasoned or nuanced public discussion of cancel culture has gone out the window now that JK Rowling has waded into the debate with her personal brand of BS. #-o
Did Snape get a bit familiar with Ron or something?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:46 am

:lol:

No, it's more that she's pissed off a lot of various groups of people over the years with her comments (most recently trans people), and now she's barrelling into the debate around cancel culture which will inevitably make it all about her.

She hasn't even been 'cancelled', really. People frequently call her out on her ignorant or troubling comments, which is vastly different to cancelling a public figure who's been accused of a serious but unproven crime.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:20 pm

I don't disagree with the premise behind the letter, because I think cancel culture is wrong. But it seems to me that JK Rowling simply can't handle the fact that her transphobic comments have made people want to distance themselves and not affiliate with her.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:20 pm
I don't disagree with the premise behind the letter, because I think cancel culture is wrong. But it seems to me that JK Rowling simply can't handle the fact that her transphobic comments have made people want to distance themselves and not affiliate with her.
I've been trying to vocalise my thoughts, but this basically sums them up.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Yep. The letter makes valid points, but Rowling's assocation with it changes the perception of its message. Free thinking should not be stymied by the fear of reprisal, nor should ignorance go unchallenged, and unfortunately Rowling seems to think those two ideas are mutually exclusive when it comes to her own ignorant comments.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:44 pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but cancel culture is the fallout over an accusation without evidence. All of the evidence required for people to blacklist Rowling is in the public domain because she was the one who said it and she did it in public. I don't understand her problem. She said things people find offensive, people are breaking ties with her because of that.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:32 pm

I've found that people often use 'cancel culture' as a shield for their bad views.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm

I can't fucking stand that woman. Even without whatever awful opinions she has, for years I've cringed when she's elbowed her way back into press coverage for some reason or another, be it to milk the Potter lore for all it's worth (and/or trying to score points with people by retconning things) and making as much fucking money as possible from merch, or writing under a pseudonym only to find that didn't sell as well as hoped and so making a "big reveal" that it was her the whole time.

As much as she has no integrity as a writer, I notice a lot of the HP fans that are reluctant to stick to their guns on trans stuff would usually be the first to shoot down anyone else's literary interests for whatever the authors had done (Roald Dahl wrote stuff about the Jews, HG Wells and eugenics, etc. etc.)

The whole thing disgusts me. And these are the "good" people, fucksake.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:41 am

Ubisoft have cleared house after the allegations that have been made against various heads at the publisher, including Serge Hascoet who was the guy in charge of all Ubisoft projects. He had the power to greenlight or cancel any project.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Some more details about the management culture and specific allegations in this piece:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... llegations

Sounds like an absolutely horrendous place to work. The saddest part is that there are probably others not too dissimilar.