What's the most 'Value For Money' game you've ever played?

Steam, Deals & More.
Maturin

What's the most 'Value For Money' game you've ever played?

Post by Maturin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:27 pm

In terms of hours played/purchase price..

I was just noseying through my Steam list and I reckon it's Terraria - I paid £1 for it and I racked up 115 hours somehow (I didn't realise it had soaked up quite so much of my time). Less than a penny an hour! That's cheap hobbying...

Alan

Re: What's the most 'Value For Money' game you've ever played?

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Let’s see, Clash Royal.

5985 wins, let’s say 9000 matches total?
Average of 4.5mins per match.
675 hours

I put in a fiver so that’s not too bad!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Although I paid £25 or thereabouts on release for XCOM 2, I've got an insane amount of value from it, over 400 hours! :shock:

I'm also 50 hours deep into Pillars 2 having paid £8 for the base game and another £4 on top for the DLC expansions and cannot put it down - I've revealed less than a third of the map so I think I've probably got at least the same again to go plus probably more including the DLCs, so that's pretty great value right there.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Witcher 3 has to be near the top for me. I paid £16 for it and I spent 140 hours on my first run-through. Still planning to go back and play it again because I've yet to do the expansion stuff.

In terms of pure money vs time it's probably Civ 4 or something like that, but I wouldn't call it "value" because so much of that time is sitting and waiting for the computer/an opponent to churn through the turn end.

Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of Time are both probably pretty good value in terms of hours of fun had with them, but they were much more expensive than Witcher 3.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Hard to say because I'm not sure how it will compare to certain indie games I bought for super cheap and dropped 100+ hours on. But I put roughly 2500 hours into the original Guild Wars back in the day and only ever paid for the expansions without dropping extra cash on the in-game store. So that probably takes the crown for me.

I'm not sure how much of that time was really good value though.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Baldur's Gate II. Got it when it was released (presumably around £30), but I couldn't begin to accurately estimate how many hours I've spent in it. Thousands, certainly. No other game comes close in terms of sheer hours played.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm

DOTA 2 and it's not even close, despite spending around £150, as I've spent over 2000 hours in that game.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Rome Total War 2

Hundreds of hours rolling my armies across Europe killing plebs.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Mine was Terraria too; I think it was one of the extras thrown in to an early Humble Bundle that I never looked at when buying it. Watched a few Youtube lets plays and then ended up spending 191 hours on it across multiple playthroughs, and the Bundle it came in was less than a fiver.

It's genuinely one of the best games I've ever played, and got masses of support from the developer (which honestly made me feel a little guilty given I'd spent mere pence on it).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 pm
Rome Total War 2

Hundreds of hours rolling my armies across Europe killing plebs.
Yeah a toss up between Rome 2 and Medieval 2, I have sunk an ungodly amount of time into both.

Then again, that would pale compared to the amount of time I played the original Elite for back in the day. That or Paradroid, Speedball 2, Bruce Lee, Prince of Persia, Skooldaze or Back to Skool. Less disposable income as a kiddie, plus cracking games were much less common, meant I put unholy amounts of time into them.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Baldur's Gate II. Got it when it was released (presumably around £30), but I couldn't begin to accurately estimate how many hours I've spent in it. Thousands, certainly. No other game comes close in terms of sheer hours played.
I think I ended up estimating BG2 somewhere around 800 hours for me, when looking back at all my full and partial playthroughs. I remember every one! Definitely my most played game in terms of hours spent. Remember the BG Randomness threads on PCGF/PW. *sniff*

I found another great value-for-money buy in my Steam list; XCOM Apocalypse at 80 hours. Think I only spent a couple of quid on it. (The best XCOM game ever made ¬_¬)

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Without any doubt it has to be Guild Wars 2...

7,253 hours 50 minutes over 2,634 days... :o

I'm sure I got a lot of value for money out of Civ2 and the original Medal of Honor and Spearhead expansions, which i played massively online for years also... although I doubt they come close to GW2...
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Battlefield 4 probably about 1300 hours. All the BF games since Bad Company 2, several thousand hours altogether.

Hundreds of hours from Fallout 3 & 4.

The best value has to be Doom 2, been playing it on and off for the past 20+ years. With conversion and graphical mods it constantly getting a new lease of life. I got my first legit version off GoG a few years back for just a few quid.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Without looking it's almost certainly Rainbow Six: Siege. I play it almost every week, and have only spent the initial purchase and one season pass.

Much less time spent, but also much cheaper was Factorio. I stopped playing after I launched a rocket for the first time as it had eaten up all my free time since purchase. Great little game.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Hearthstone.

It'll be 6 years this December since I started playing it, virtually every day since. I paid nothing for it and have spent precisely zero on it in all those years. Whether I've had fun on each and every day playing is another matter, but I've certainly had my moneys worth that's for sure. :P