Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Console Country!
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Switch & Nintendo News/Discussion

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:40 pm

Oh for sure, it looks like dog. I can live with poor graphics, I play plenty of indie games that are just basic pixel art. It's the lack of any art direction or unique style at all that is quite galling. There's just no personality in the looks.

That said, the gameplay is very fun, and Pokemon has looked this bland for a number of generations now since they jumped to 3D; so I don't really expect much from the art department.

Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu looked a lot better. They were decent games too.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:59 pm

I would have bought one of the Let's Go games were it not for the fact that they were seemingly even more simplified than the games they were based on. I loved the visuals in them, and it's part of why I almost wish they'd have stuck with the top-down view.

C'mon Gamefreak, just build a selectable difficulty setting into your games!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:18 pm

Also the price for Tears of the Kingdom on the US eShop was briefly $70 before being removed and most of the major retailers in the UK have it listed as £60. So you might want to get a pre-order in with one of the online places at the current £50 price as it is believed that the $70/£60 price will be revealed during the Direct tonight.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:59 am

Bunch of stuff announced last night including GameBoy and GBA games for Switch Online, Metroid Prime Remaster shadow dropped after the show, new Professor Layton teased, Ghost Trick remaster and a new Zelda trailer.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:50 am

I waited years for a HD remaster of Metroid Prime, and I would have bought it no questions asked as it's one of the best games Nintendo ever published. But now I've largely given up on the Switch, and am more interested in getting my copy of the trilogy release for the Wii running on my steam deck as emulation gave it plenty of the same control enhancements.

I'll likely end up buying Tears of the Kingdom at some point, given that it's the sequel to my joint favourite game of all time, but as Nintendo are joining other console publishers by moving to a £60 RRP for new games, it's likely going to be the last game I buy for the Switch. When I can buy PC versions for half that (maybe waiting a few weeks after release), Microsoft and Sony are now publishing their big first-party titles for Windows, and Nintendo only release one or two things a decade I'm actually interested in, and I have a portable PC games console, I really don't see the need to pay so much.

Edit: And done. That was easy.
I did have to change one quick setting in the emulator because I had a very minor slowdown that was ruinous to the sound quality, but it's largely been a plug and play experience, and the game even shows up in the Game mode interface (all of the installation and most of the configuring is done in desktop mode). It arguably plays better here than it did on the Wii, thanks to the Deck's excellent controls.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:39 pm

I dunno why I thought Nintendo were going to price it similarly to Valve's Portal releases on the Switch. £35, gosh i'll just stick with the PrimeHack's keyboard and mouse version.
As for the new Layton game? The series has been a bit boring since the best puzzle designer on the game (Akira Tago) passed away. So difficult to recreate his puzzle making skills.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:58 pm

Raid you can probably run the Switch one just fyi ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:59 pm

There are fairly significant graphical upgrades over the original game, the lighting is vastly better and they've definitely upgraded the level geometry. I think there's probably enough to justify a higher price point than just a straight emulated re-release.

And yes Alan I know, but I'm happy sticking with the trilogy release that I actually own, not least because I haven't actually played much of the third game (I *hated* the motion control aiming, which is why I never really played this collection).

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:07 pm

Well damn that does look a mighty lot cleaner than the original. Naaaaaur I don't wanna buy and play the game again. Theres so many other games i've not even started yet, or finished!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:32 pm

Abs_McBain wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:39 pm
I dunno why I thought Nintendo were going to price it similarly to Valve's Portal releases on the Switch. £35, gosh i'll just stick with the PrimeHack's keyboard and mouse version.
As for the new Layton game? The series has been a bit boring since the best puzzle designer on the game (Akira Tago) passed away. So difficult to recreate his puzzle making skills.
Considering what other publishers have asked for their remasters I think it's pretty well priced.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:49 pm

I've since watched a full video review and it's evident that a lot of work has been put into this to make it look like a modern Switch title, not a remaster of a Gamecube one. The reviewer seemed to think they've remade every single art asset. The only real negative they had was that the joycon-gyro aiming was awkward, but that's not even the default option, instead it uses the twin-stick scheme that I've been using with Primehack (which really does improve the game).

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:22 pm

Yes please.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:42 pm

I think my worry having watched that is that I don't think the new skills shown off are as central a hook as the tablet powers were in BotW. Sure, the building's going to be fun, I've played enough Gary's Mod to know that gluing things together in a physics sandbox is a hoot, but if that's a central mechanic that they're basing puzzles around it may rob the gameplay of its momentum. Granted, the creativity they managed to coax out of a set of three or four powers in the original was astonishing so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I just hope the game has more going for it.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗