Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Console Country!
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:12 am

Raid wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:02 pm
It was always going to be, surely? The standard PS5 console still carries an RRP of close to £500 as far as I'm aware (the digital version, which I guess is the better comparison point, is cheaper than that), and they were never going to put out a "pro" version for fifty quid more.

I don't think there's ever been a console generation where the machine hasn't decreased dramatically in price over its lifetime before now. It's kinda sad, it doesn't feel like we're going to see those £200 deals around christmas time a couple of years in, and I have to think so many gamers are being priced out of the market.
I think in Microsoft’s case it’s because they just point at the Series S, which is still good value. Sony have kind of tried a budget option with the slim PS5, but not really. It’s a bizarre generation in the sense that games are being developed to run on both a Series S and a PS5 Pro, which is going to be similar to cross-gen development. It’s only a matter of time before developers refuse to cater to the Series S, and then there really will be no cheap entry to gaming.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:43 am

Raid wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:02 pm
It was always going to be, surely? The standard PS5 console still carries an RRP of close to £500 as far as I'm aware (the digital version, which I guess is the better comparison point, is cheaper than that), and they were never going to put out a "pro" version for fifty quid more.

I don't think there's ever been a console generation where the machine hasn't decreased dramatically in price over its lifetime before now. It's kinda sad, it doesn't feel like we're going to see those £200 deals around christmas time a couple of years in, and I have to think so many gamers are being priced out of the market.
The base discless PS5 is £390 and the disc version £440. People were hoping for around £600 so the final price has come as a shock to most.

Part of the reason we are not seeing £200 consoles is because the starting prices are a lot higher now, the PS1 and PS2 both came out at £300 rather than close to £400. Then there is the obvious change in the manufacturing landscape, it's not only just more expensive to make this stuff there is much more of a demand on chips in general than there was 20-30 years ago which itself raises the price due to fabrication. I would be surprised if we ever got down to the £200 price point this generation.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:13 am

Price is whatever. If it’s powerful enough it could be justifiable. They made it even uglier though, that’s the worst sin of all. PS5 was so ugly it made me go 100% PC and this is even worse!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:22 pm

It's a console that is antithetical to what is currently happening in the industry right now. We have developers shedding jobs or shutting down because their game failed to make back enough to cover the huge development costs, a general feeling that we can't keep on spending this much to make games, Sony themselves can't even get games out regularly and then along comes a £700 console.