Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:26 am

Demon Souls is generally regarding as the easiest of the Souls games.

I managed to snag a PS5 which will apparently be with me sometime before the 16th of December but I decided that I don't really need it what with currently being in the middle of upgrading my PC so I'm going to pass it on to a friend who wanted one.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:38 am

Asherons wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 am
my birthday was the 12th so i thought it was a sign from God i would be able to buy one on relase day. apparently i'm not that special
Sorry mate, that sucks. :( Happy birthday anyhow - your PS5 time will come!

Getting into my stride with DS now. I went a full hour without dying and then killed the first boss on the first attempt. :o I wouldn’t say it’s an easy game by any stretch, but I’m objectively having a less infuriating time with it than Dark Souls. I think part of it is that it’s quite generous with healing grass drops, so I rarely feel like I can’t back off and heal when necessary, whereas the estus flask always felt perilously limited. I’m not sure, something’s clicked and it’s great. It’s definitely not just experience, as I tried Dark Souls again last week and bounced off it again hard.

Probably doesn’t hurt that it looks fantastic too.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Asherons wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:08 am
Rossell wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm
Said I wasn't going to do it but I did.

Was in the right place at the right time on amazon a moment ago with the PS5. Arriving Saturday.
you lucky mofo
Lucky doesn't cover it mate. Everyone was hammering the main ps5 page on amazon including me. I decided to have a look at the playstation store page because I was bored clicked on a ps5 picture that had a radio button next to it and the add to basket button came up. I guess that page refreshed quicker than the main page did.

Edit: I just read your post about your birthday mate sorry you didn't get one. My shot was one in a million as it was. Like it's been said above you will get one in time my friend. And by that time all the faults will be ironed out.
Last edited by Rossell on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Having spent some more time and everything is starting to click for me. The gameplay capture feature is improved now so I can select if I want 30 seconds or various time increments. Big improvement over setting an arbitrary time and having to delete the file after you've trimmed it.

May be worth turning off the trophy video feature until after the storage becomes expandable that takes up a lot of room.

Also some reports say it doesn't warm up. It does. It's mainly the at the back and on the underside (if standing vertically, left side if it's horizontal) it's nowhere near as bad as the ps4 though. The machine is still extremely quiet only the Bluray drive makes any kind of racket.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Rossell wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Asherons wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:08 am
Rossell wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm
Said I wasn't going to do it but I did.

Was in the right place at the right time on amazon a moment ago with the PS5. Arriving Saturday.
you lucky mofo
Lucky doesn't cover it mate. Everyone was hammering the main ps5 page on amazon including me. I decided to have a look at the playstation store page because I was bored clicked on a ps5 picture that had a radio button next to it and the add to basket button came up. I guess that page refreshed quicker than the main page did.

Edit: I just read your post about your birthday mate sorry you didn't get one. My shot was one in a million as it was. Like it's been said above you will get one in time my friend. And by that time all the faults will be ironed out.
yeah at this point I am kinda over wanting it right off the bat. just bought the new Zelda game for the switch (arriving monday) so I have already decided I'm just gonna hold off probably till after christmas to buy PS5, need to spend my money on other peoples christmas gifts before I waste it all on myself hah.

I was up till 2am the morning of the 12th, my internet isnt fast enough to get through those websites when they are so bogged down. Had ps5 in my cart probably 5 different times between target/walmart/bestbuy but can never execute the purchase

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:01 pm

One thing that can’t be stressed enough is how good the load times (or lack of them) are. I timed how long it took to go from a full power off to being able to play Demon’s Souls. 38 seconds, and that’s not to the DS menu - that’s into the actual game. About half of that was the PS startup sequence. From the DS menu to being in game is under 2 seconds. It’s insane, to the point where in a few years it could feel terrible going back to a previous gen game and waiting 90+ seconds for a save to load.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:32 pm

I agree. Even with older titles that aren't programmes for it where the brute force takes over. Assassins creed odyssey is a huge improvement.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Does the PS5 have the same quick-resume feature across multiple games at once as on the Series X?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

I don’t think so, but loading a game is so fast that it’s almost irrelevant.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:53 pm

I dunno, I think it would be a fairly big deal for me as I do swap between games (and streaming apps) quite frequently. It's also a fairly big deal if you're playing something where you can go an hour between savepoints (I'm looking at you, stupid FF7:Remake ending).

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:18 pm

I got a XSS. Its pretty nice, small size, quiet, quick. The internal HD is small but you can always attach a USB 3 external harddrive. Yeah - its alright :lol:

Its perfect for Gamepass
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm

deep dive....

Not cooling effecient. Style over efficiency - go to around 15 min mark but it does excel on low noise levels
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:46 pm

Heat doesn't bother me so much, so long as the reports that it's super quiet are accurate. The PS4 Pro gets pretty toasty with the added bonus of sounding like a jet engine sometimes.

Just means you need the heating on less in winter.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:59 pm

yes they did say that is one of its best bits

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Aside from the blu ray drive kicking up, it's pretty damn quiet even under stress. I've not checked how hot it gets, but I've got it upright with plenty of space around it so it should be fine.