Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Console Country!
Asherons

Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Post by Asherons » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:41 pm

i have a decent enough computer that can run any game i want to play, and I have the xbox/switch/ps4 as well. that being said.

i will also be picking up a new system when they drop. most likely I will veer towards the PS5 due to the current PSVR option they have which xbox did not push with their current gen system.

i am also interested in the "haptic feedback" controller which might just mean specialized vibrations per each button rather then just the controller itself.

I have a preference for Xbox but I dont have any VR setup yet and so want my next big purchase to be in that direction, and will probably end up getting the seireis X eventully just to play the halo/fable games if they dont come to PC as well.

anyone else pondering the decision?
Last edited by Asherons on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

Re: Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm

If I had to pick one it would be PS5 but right now I’m not massively sold on it not being at least a year too early. I’m more curious how long till SSD is a minimum requirement on PC.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm planning to upgrade my PC this month so a console can wait, especially as there doesn't appear to be anything decent on them and nearly everything comes to PC nowadays anyway. For the first time ever I can see myself not picking up a console until 2 or maybe even 3 years into the lifecycle.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:55 pm

Nah. I know the prices haven't been revealed yet, but I've not seen Sony or Microsoft trying to dissuade the belief that they'll be around the £500 mark. I don't think there's ever been a games console worth that much within the first year of launch. I also already have access to Microsoft's first party library through my One X, given that they've promised to release versions of the new games for their current gen hardware.

Instead I'll be spending the money on a new GPU. I did my processor upgrade a few months ago, and I'm just waiting for NVidia's new offerings before I make my mind up.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:33 pm

My daughter is, she already has the X Box, X Box 360 & Xbox 1 and has just bought a new 4k telly in anticipation.
All that's holding her back now is not knowing the price.
I've explained that Microsoft's not exactly tripping over compelling launch titles for it atm but she won't be swayed.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:07 pm

I expect I will at some point, but I’ve not seen a compelling reason to get one at launch.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:48 pm

I'll pick a PS5 up when the revised models come out and there's more exclusive titles to convince me. They're both pretty light on the ground in the launch window, particularly Xbox, but in the long run Sony tend to have a track record of bringing out more exclusive titles that interest me.

It helps that most Xbox titles will probably be available on Game Pass on Pc eventually when they release some too.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:50 pm

There will be a cheaper Xbox Series S which might be worth a look depending on specs, especially if you don't have a 4K TV. Crazy to think that we are nearly in September and still don't know prices.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:06 am

I think that’s totally MS trump card that’s far more powerful than gamepass. Especially if the 4K models come in around 500 and they can drop that around 300. Even better if it’s more TVunitable. But also it could backfire if it doesn’t immediately sell if devs don’t want to deal with an underpowered unit and just go exclusive to Sony. Interesting times :-k

Almost certainly not possible but what if they had been forward thinking enough in The design Of The 1X whereby they could sell an SSD unit that would allow it to become a non-raytace SeriesS. The things more powerful than the Series S already as is.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:16 am

But also it could backfire if it doesn’t immediately sell if devs don’t want to deal with an underpowered unit and just go exclusive to Sony. Interesting times
I don't think this is going to happen, at least not for power reasons, no matter how powerful it is compared to the PS5 developers are used to supporting different specs with the half-step consoles we have just had and the fact that more than ever the games are coming to PC as well where you need to cater for different specs. Already I've seen talk about PS5 games having performance and enhanced modes like they do on the PS4 Pro, so even with the stuff for the main consoles there is scalability being built in.

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm thinking about getting an Xbox, although I'm not settled on it.

I have an Xbox360, but I really am a PC gamer at heart.

And for my consoling whimsy i've got my Xbox Elite gaming controller plugged in. The only thing I don't have is somewhere to enjoy big screen gaming.

The thing is.... I'm not persuaded the games I'm going to play in the next few years are console games. That and to the best of my knowledge, each console game, even if it's available on PC, is generally significantly more expensive and has longer holding power on their prices.

And i have a maaaaasssive backlog of games to play. years' worth.

So instead of a console I might just put a gaming pc behind the tv unit / console and plug my wireless controller in - and just use my massive steam and other games libraries to enjoy my content as a console gamer when the mood takes me.

Possibly a higher initial cost, but I'll have a lot more control over what components go into the machine, what and how it runs, and access to everything i already own instead of starting from scratch or with a monthly subscription....

I'll decide in a few months i guess.
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:48 pm
I'll pick a PS5 up when the revised models come out and there's more exclusive titles to convince me. They're both pretty light on the ground in the launch window, particularly Xbox, but in the long run Sony tend to have a track record of bringing out more exclusive titles that interest me.

It helps that most Xbox titles will probably be available on Game Pass on Pc eventually when they release some too.
This.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:43 pm

As a rule I tend to wait for the second SKU as the system will be smaller, more powerful and cheaper than the first version day 1.

These consoles will be worth it in 2022 which by then all those promised games will be coming out. Right now, day 1, there is no compelling reason to buy one if only to brag to your mates that you have one.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:01 am

I barely use my PS4 - I bought it originally as a media centre but now that I have streaming services and almost never play DVDs that purpose is gone too. I did pick up Spiderman a while back which is fun, but that's about it (and I only get to play that when the wife is out, as the TV is her domain :)).

Add to that more and more PS/Xbox exclusives making their way to the PC and I have no real reason to buy a new console. Will wait and see, maybe in a few years if that situation changes.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:00 am

Gonna try an get ps5 release day. wasn't able to pre order cause i didn't pay enough attention.

walmart doing release times to buy online. hopefully i can make it happen
Last edited by Asherons on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.