Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Console Country!
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 pm

All those who were expecting the Crash Collection will be having a good old cry.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:12 pm

True but maybe they can do that next month and give us three trilogies in a row :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:15 pm

So another FF7:R trailer dropped a few days ago. It's chock full of reveals, including Nanaki, young Cloud / Tifa, JENOVA and also...

...including the big unveiling of Cloud's, err, makeover. I'm not sure why I'm being coy about spoilers, people have known about the set pieces for 23 years.
Spoiler
He's so pretty.

There's definitely a ton of new stuff in there, even with my limited knowledge of the game (I've never actually played more than a few hours of the original).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:55 am

I have never played a Final Fantasy game. Always wondered if I was missing out, but suspect it would be one of those impenetrable Japanese stories that I would bounce clean off.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 am

Snowy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:55 am
I have never played a Final Fantasy game. Always wondered if I was missing out, but suspect it would be one of those impenetrable Japanese stories that I would bounce clean off.
You are not. :P

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:10 am

Youve actually gained 100hours of non-twattle.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:56 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:55 am
They're really divisive. In theory I really like them, but I've only ever completed one Final Fantasy game (I think I've started 8), and it was one of the SNES ones where the exposition wasn't based around ten minute cutscenes and impenetrable dialogue that probably lost something in translation.

What I do like is strong character and world design, and JRPGs usually have that in spades. FF7 just ticks all of my aesthetic boxes, from big swords to an abundance of mecha, and the remake is drop dead gorgeous because of it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm

FF7 has one of the best stories ever written for a video game.

The original version hasn't aged amazingly well in some areas but still stands up as a solid J-RPG with interesting mechanics. The characters, story and music are what make it though. It's a long game with a complex story based over what was 3 discs at the time, it would appear to be highly convoluted in a 2 minute trailer essentially aimed at showing off all the big story moments from the start of the game. It's clearly aimed at the fans who know what's actually happening, to an outsider it would appear to be ridiculous Japanese typical guff.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm
It's clearly aimed at the fans who know what's actually happening, to an outsider it would appear to be ridiculous Japanese typical guff.
I disagree, but only because every JRPG trailer is like that; snippets of dialogue over clips of action scenes with no context accompanied by exciting music. It gives an idea of the themes at play without really explaining anything.

I've really wanted to play FF7 for years, but I've held off because of a) this remake (don't forget this was originally announced way back in 2015), and b) I find old games frustrating to play without modern interface designs I've gotten used to. I've every faith that the new stuff they're sticking in is going to be good enough to not detract from the original, as this is a pretty big game for Sony - FF7 was one of the games that made the Playstation brand. I just hope that they're not going to make me wait for the next episodes for years. I'm really quite excited for this one, probably more so than any other big game since Breath of the Wild.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:57 pm

I'd probably recommend just playing the original in it's entirety first. The interfaces aren't really any different to any modern game and the materia system is quite neat. It helps that there are newer versions with little cheats you can switch on and off to speed movement up or turn random encounters off.

That story needs to be digested in text format with the music for atmosphere before anyone tries a new snazzy interpretation.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am

I think my question has been answered :)

Dave I know you enjoy Japanese storytelling so it makes sense that you have enjoyed these titles, but I have never managed it whether Manga, Anime or the likes of the MGS series. Saves me spending money on the FF series :mrgreen:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:32 am

The PS4 port does have a button to go at 3x speed and you can turn off random battles which would make it bearable. ;)

Every JRPG should have those options!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:52 am

Snowy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am
I think my question has been answered :)

Dave I know you enjoy Japanese storytelling so it makes sense that you have enjoyed these titles, but I have never managed it whether Manga, Anime or the likes of the MGS series. Saves me spending money on the FF series :mrgreen:
I bounce hard off most Japanese games and anime. I managed to get through Attack on Titan but there was a fair bit of fast forwarding involved. Don't think I could ever see myself even touching a FF game.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:02 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:57 pm
I'd probably recommend just playing the original in it's entirety first.
We were discussing this prior to this week's DnD; I'm planning on watching the Eurogamer Let's Play at some point, rather than playing through the same story twice, but I'm going to play the remake first.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Sony is struggling with PS5 price due to costly parts...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... stly-parts