Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Console Country!
Mantis
Landlord

Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm

In place of the old PS4 thread. Rather than have two single threads for PS4 and Xbox totally dominate all discussion in this folder, could you please post individual threads for any console games you'd like to discuss, similar with how we have a Steam thread in General Gaming but separate game threads. It'll breathe some life into what is otherwise a pretty quiet section of the forum.

Cheers!

Pew-Pew

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:45 am

Best PS4 exclusives? GO! (I want to buy some games...)

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:04 pm

God of War
Horizon Zero Dawn
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Bloodbourne
Until Dawn

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Bloodborne is absolutely essential. Persona 5 is an excellent JRPG that is quite unconventional, might be a good introduction to the genre for you. The Last Guardian is a pretty nice and mellow game and I've heard very good things about the new God of War too.

You're spoilt for choice when it comes to PS4 exclusives really.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:29 pm

The Uncharted Collection is worth picking up as you can get it cheap. I'd avoid Horizons unless you really, really love open world games. I don't think it is anything special when it comes to that genre.

I would normally point people towards the Yakuza games, but you can get Zero on PC and Yakuza Kiwami is coming later in the year. Still think it is a series worth checking out.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention - I already have Horizon and Nier (thought I wouldn't risk the PC port).

I'll look into the ones you guys mentioned.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:47 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:29 pm
The Uncharted Collection is worth picking up as you can get it cheap. I'd avoid Horizons unless you really, really love open world games. I don't think it is anything special when it comes to that genre.
Not got on with open world games since... Vice City? Loved Horizon, one of my top 3 of last year.

Best exclusive is Until Dawn. Followed swiftly by Velocity 2X.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Until Dawn is excellent, especially if played alongside others.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm

WipEout Omega is pretty nice, although it suffers from a weak soundtrack (it's always going to be subjective!). The game shines in VR mode though; your frontal lobe goes into overdrive when you play in cockpit mode. T'is quite the experience!
Rez Infinite also looks grand in VR too, Area X was a treat for the eyes!
If you don't mind a bit of repetition but want a lovely looking 2D action game Odin Sphere Leifthrasir will fit the bill. It's getting a bit cheap on the PS4 now, a good time to buy!
Although released digitally on other platforms, the PS4 did get a physical release of OlliOlli. It's going for dirt cheap now.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 pm

I don't think the Wipeout series has managed to top Wipeout Fusion on PS2 when it comes to soundtracks. I seriously loved that game.

Omega is the big thing that has been tempting me into finally picking up a PSVR too, but I need at least one or two other convincing titles before I drop that kind of cash.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Sadly haven't checked out the Fusion ost, will have a listen whilst playing Omega!

That headset ain't cheap considering its really just a display unit. One can get large monitors for the same price!
I picked up a first gen headset for £150 at Cash Generators, which came with a free PS camera! (I don't think they were supposed to have bundled that with it.) A few weeks later I'm seeing the 1st gen units going for about £100 to £150 on cash generators/converters webstore.

As for games...there's Rez Infinite and the upcoming Tetris Effect. PS move controllers? I've seen some crazy stuff with Superhot VR.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 am

Superhot is incredible. The move controllers are very twitchy at times but if you don’t have access to one of the big daddy headsets I’m 100% sure that playing SuperhotVR on moves vs not playing it at all is no choice at all!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 pm

PS Plus for September...

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/08 ... september/
Destiny 2 (PS4)
God of War III: Remastered (PS4)
Knowledge is Power (PS Plus Bonus – PlayLink)
Here They Lie (PS Plus Bonus – PS VR compatible)
Another World – 20th Anniversary Edition (PS3 + PS4/PS Vita)
QUBE Director’s Cut (PS3 + PS4)
Foul Play (PS Vita + PS4)
Sparkle 2 (PS Vita)
Destiny 2 is available to download right now...

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/pro ... YTHEGAME02

It's 60GB although the store page claims its 30GB

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 pm

I've been playing through Destiny 2 on PC with a friend after I accidentally forgot to pause my Humble Monthly package. It's completely functional as a shooter, but it's also the single most mind numbing experience ever. I basically just switch my brain off and don't get any enjoyment whatsoever out of it when we're playing, it's just so bland.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:58 am

Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida claims that limited cross-platform play provides the 'best user experience'...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 16081.html
"On cross-platform, our way of thinking is always that PlayStation is the best place to play,”

“Fortnite, I believe, partnered with PlayStation 4 is the best experience for users, that's our belief.”

"But actually, we already opened some games as cross-platform with PC and some others,”

“So we decide based on what is the best user experience. That is our way of thinking for cross-platform."
Understandable from a business point of view I suppose, but it kind of contradicts what Shawn Layden said about it the other month there...
"We're hearing it. We're looking at a lot of the possibilities. You can imagine that the circumstances around that affect a lot more than just one game. I'm confident we'll get to a solution which will be understood and accepted by our gaming community, while at the same time supporting our business."