Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Console Country!
Raid
Local

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:09 pm

There hasn't really been much that's grabbed me.

A lot of this has been in-engine cinematics, much like the XBox showcase from a few weeks back, just as I predicted.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 pm

The games look infinitely more interesting though. There's been a fair share of gameplay snippets too.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:12 pm

It's certainly been better than the XBox one, but there's been nothing to sell me.... to sell...

Oh. That's what the console looks like?

Yeah, nothing to sell me... that.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:18 pm

I think it looks pretty sleek. Nicer than the big black box that Microsoft went with.

I never buy new consoles until at least a year into the cycle anyway, but there were a lot of titles in that announcement that I would quite likely play. Really good showing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm

I guess my big problem is that I just don't know how much of what I've just seen to believe, how much of it is actually representative of next-gen visuals. There certainly wasn't anything new on show from a gameplay perspective; Ratchet and Clank certainly looked identical to previous games in the series (albeit with shiny new dimension hopping mechanics that may just boil down to teleporting; it's not clear whether that stuff would be happening during levels).

I don't immediately hate the console design, just to be clear, but I'm not sure whether I like it either.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Gran turismo 7, Horizon 2, ratchet and clank, spider man, those are what have sold me. The console looks good too.

No price reveal so it'll be steep.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if pricing still hadn't been finalised; there are likely to be component or material shortages caused by the pandemic that may be affecting production already (the consoles are surely being manufactured by now), so it's possible the consumer price will reflect this. But you're right, nothing in either the Playstation or XBox hardware suggests they'll be cheap.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 pm

I don't think the visuals will be a huge leap in terms of textures. This generation is going to be all about enhanced lighting and rapid loading. The SSD tech would almost certainly empower developers to rapidly load in content during gameplay, which is what I assume the portals into whole new levels is making use of in the Ratchet and Clank game.

It wouldn't surprise me if they'd held back on price announcements because they don't want to give Microsoft a chance to massively undercut them while there is still quite a large window until release.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:49 pm

That was very meh, a lot of sequels. Some of the smaller games look neat but I can play them on PC. Graphically that showing very much reminded me that we are on diminishing returns, nothing looked that great.

As for the box it looks awful, like a Virgin Media router. End of the day it doesn't really matter but it still looks dumb.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 pm

The most accurate description I've seen of the new console so far is "Alienware designed a router".

It's a damn sight more interesting than the XBox Series X at least, but I suspect it's going to be a design that a lot of people hate. I think the all-digital version is a lot better looking; the asymmetry does nothing for me with the other version, but I doubt I'd buy a Playstation without a disc drive as it's been my blu-ray player since the PS3. And is it just me or is this thing massive going by the size of the disc slot?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:55 pm

I'm not sure how you could accuse them of announcing too many sequels. There was one hell of a lot of new IPs in that show.

The reaction to the design seems to be very much love or hate. I think it looks really futuristic and interesting. I like the curvature and colour, far more interesting than another big black box.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Apart from the Housemarque game most of the new IP were not exclusives. The stuff coming from Sony itself was GT, Spiderman, Horizon, Ratchet and a Sackboy Mario ripoff.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Just for reference all these games listed below have been confirmed as also coming to PC.

GodFall
Hitman III
Resident Evil VIII
Project Athia
Deathloop
Ghostwire: Tokyo
Pragmata
Kena: Bridge of Spirits
Little Devil Inside
Stray
Bugsnax
Goodbye Volcano High
Jett: The Far Shor
Solar Ash
Oddworld: Soulstorm

Ghostwire and Deathloop are timed PS5 console exclusives. Kena is a PS4+5 console exclusive.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:10 am

The console design is frustrating to me because of the presumably pointless fins at the top. I travel a fair amount with consoles (e.g. on holiday or if I’m staying at my parents’ for a while) and the fins will make it needlessly difficult to fit in a bag. Mind you, it can’t be any worse than the PS4, which is like trying to get a hammerhead shark into a sock.

I’m not even going to bother attempting to pack the new Xbox.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:12 am

I hope they release it in black at launch because that looks like shite in white. I am glad its not a chunky boy like the X... so long as it can do on its side. There was a lot in there that looked awesome but about 90% looked like it would run perfectly well on PS4. That Tokyo Ghost thing looked like it was a PS3 game quickly remastered to PS4.

Loved the look of Pragmata and Stray. Soulstorm looks great and Deathloop looks very fun. All in on Horizon, Hitman and Rezi. Demon Souls remaster is pretty cool and still the only Souls game Ive liked enough to finish. Out of everything I feel only Ratchet showcased the tech with its crazy fast loads but after Epics impressive tech demo it was all a bit of a step back.

Main highlight: "Gran Turismo will make fans happy, especially the campaign" then proceeds to show the most shitty ass PS3 era/Mobile looking map screen.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.