Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Console Country!
Raid
Local

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:54 am

I frequently have to stop myself getting excited about Playstation-exclusive stuff because I just can't see myself buying another Sony console until they have something that offers a genuine alternative to Game Pass. They've clearly made a move in the right direction by saying a lot of their exclusives will also come to PC, but I don't think their subscription service offers nearly the same value yet.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:49 am

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/08/23 ... station-5/

The swapable thumb sticks is neat and I wonder if they'll offer things like electromagnetic sticks or if a third party would. It does make it more fugly but it was never great looking to begin with. All they really need to do to best MS Elite controller is make the shoulder buttons last longer than a year.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:14 pm

The only thing I'd ever have wanted from this sort of thing is the ability to swap the placement of the dpad and left stick, but that's obviously never going to happen. It's honestly one of the reasons I stick with Microsoft's consoles, I just find it vastly more comfortable.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:30 pm

The brook adapters are excellent for using an MS pad on PS or vice versa. They work wireless, the only real drawback is they cant turn the console on. I used a DS4 pretty much my whole time with the XOne. I grew to prefer Sonys mainly because I hate using the dpad on offset stick layouts, I find that really uncomfortable where I got used to the symmetrical sticks pretty quick post 360. I started playing Dead Cells again on Series and I just couldn't get on with it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:29 am

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstatio ... -australia
The price increases are as follows:

Europe:
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99, up from €499.99
PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99, up from €399.99

UK:
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99, up from £449.99
PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99, up from £359.99

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:46 am

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given what the rest of the economy is doing, but this is the first time I can remember a console's price increasing months after launch.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:55 am

I guess you can get away with it when you still cant keep them on shelves. Even less chance of me picking one up before a slim/pro now though.

edit: wait, whats the chance this is because they're getting sued over their digital pricing? :lol:

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:38 pm

The backlash this is receiving is entirely deserved, this must set some kind of precedent that no - we won't accept a price hike two years into a console generation's life when the bloody things were already only just becoming easier to even get hold of in the first place. And all because of their own practices, fuck that. This is a big win for both Xbox and Nintendo who can just come out and announce hey did we mention no price hikes here? Just business as normal now leave Sony in the rearview mirror, great job Sony.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:33 pm

Wasn't the cost of production per unit something around $450, and that they were making a loss on each sold console?
Well whatever, they can save money elsewhere if they quit making film\TV shows out of some of the first party games. Do we even need a Last of Us, or even a Gravity Rush movie? (God, Sony screwed over Gravity Rush 2, that game deserved better.)

I actually bought a PS5 a few weeks back with GT7, and then returned it after three days. The console really didn't click with me.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:48 pm

Don't put your PS5 in the vertical position, can cause a CPU coolant leak....
https://gamerant.com/ps5-vertical-desig ... nt-damage/

Fuck, I've no room to put it any other way :?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:50 pm

That's the way I've had mine since I bought it because all the marketing material suggested it was intended to be an upright console.

I don't think I have anywhere near enough room to lie it down anywhere either.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:29 pm

It seems like this may happen if there has been other damage to the console not on undamaged hardware and even thats not exactly a proven thing. If youve not dropped your console pretty hard you're probably fine. The typical thing of overstating a problem to get clicks which is then taken as and reported as fact because nobody cares about anything beyond a headline anymore. Especially not the "journalists". I wouldn't worry.