Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Console Country!
Alan

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by Alan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:49 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Come on eVol COD is the definition of an edge case.
I don’t think it’s an edge case when it’s one of the most popular games and this will probably be many peoples Madden/Cod machine if they fit. Destiny 2 isn’t far behind it in size either.

Now maybe the SSD will mitigate that somewhat with doing away with data duplication but that could just even out with the larger textures etc...

Well find out soon I guess!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 am

The reason I call COD an edge case is because it is unique, no other game around requires you to regularly download patches that are the size of most games.

I have plenty of games installed btw and sometimes I have to remove something but it's usually something I have had on my system that I haven't played for months so probably doesn't need to be there.

As for everybody saying they are struggling with space, we are all edge cases here, as gamer enthusiasts we make up a small proportion of those who buy consoles. The large majority are still the people who are buying a few games a year not multiple games a month.

Ultimately if you are wanting to buy in cheaply to the next generation then you probably have a limited budget so you are unlikely to be buying lots of games at once so the smaller storage matters less and I'll keep coming back to it, this is next gen gaming for £250!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:43 am

I don't buy multiple games a month, I just have a big backlog from the odd sale and the barrage of free games I get with PS Plus. I don't think it'll be any different for new Xbox users either as many will be making use of the cheap Game Pass subscription which gives them access to hundreds of games at a time.

I think it is remarkably easy to fill up disc space even if you're not an enthusiast who buys lots of titles full price every month.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:55 am

Mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:43 am
I don't buy multiple games a month, I just have a big backlog from the odd sale and the barrage of free games I get with PS Plus. I don't think it'll be any different for new Xbox users either as many will be making use of the cheap Game Pass subscription which gives them access to hundreds of games at a time.

I think it is remarkably easy to fill up disc space even if you're not an enthusiast who buys lots of titles full price every month.
The Series S doesn't have a disc drive so you wont be able to play your backlog so that's that sorted. ¬_¬

In all seriousness though yes I know you can fill up a drive if you want to install a fair number of games but you don't have to and for £250 I don't think it is a major issue to sacrifice a bit of space.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:47 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 am
The large majority are still the people who are buying a few games a year not multiple games a month.
You seem to be completely ignoring the Xbox Game Pass angle mentioned above, though? Pairing an "all you can eat" gaming service with paltry storage is just plain counter-intuitive.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:49 pm

Drarok wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:47 am
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 am
The large majority are still the people who are buying a few games a year not multiple games a month.
You seem to be completely ignoring the Xbox Game Pass angle mentioned above, though? Pairing an "all you can eat" gaming service with paltry storage is just plain counter-intuitive.
Not really, you don't have to download all the games at once and a lot of the Game Pass catalogue is indy games which don't take up a lot of space. Again I'm not saying the size of the drive is ideal but it is workable and for the price I have yet to see an argument for what should be cut instead to allow a bigger drive to be put in and remain at the same cost.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:47 pm

EA Play is being added to PC Game Pass for no extra charge.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/ ... onal-cost/

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm

I've lost track of all these rebrandings. EA Play is the same as their old Origin Access subscription right?

Final price for the Series X has been confirmed as £449.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Microsoft have confirmed the Series X is $499 and will be £449 in the UK. They also put out this video about the Series S.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm
I've lost track of all these rebrandings. EA Play is the same as their old Origin Access subscription right?

Final price for the Series X has been confirmed as £449.
Yeah it's the £5 tier that got added to Steam recently.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:16 pm

AC Valhalla has moved their launch date to November 10th so is a launch title. Dirt 5 also announced as coming on the 10th as well as Gears Tactics.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm
Start getting more from the games you love. We’ve got some big news, starting today EA’s two game membership services – EA Access and Origin Access – are now EA Play*, and Origin Access Premier is EA Play Pro.
Source.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm

£449 is definitely expensive for a games console, but it's better than the rumours which were saying it'd be £500+. Part of me thinks those rumours were seeded to make the high price more reasonable, but then I'm cynical like that.

I can't say I was particularly interested in EA Play, but chucking it in for free seems very reasonable. There must be a catch, right? It's EA.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm
£449 is definitely expensive for a games console
You might want to hold on to your hat because the PS5 isn't going to be cheaper.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm
£449 is definitely expensive for a games console,
not a new gen its not ! This is excellent value for money when the games for it come out.

I cannot fault GamePass service - unbelievable.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4