Console Country!
Raid
Local

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:54 pm
its the internet Raid

If you give people a £1m each, some people will complain "why isn't £2m" - just ignore them, its quicker
I'm not attempting to argue with anyone, just discussing the reactions people have had.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 pm
On the carpet?

If you have to be reminded to use a console it’s a pretty shit console.
No on the side next to the TV like with the Switch and it's not just about reminding you but making you turn it on for more than just gaming.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 am

That’s still a weird concept! My PS4 sits on the top shelf of the entertainment unit right under the TV and not once have I turned it on because I looked at it ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:50 am

I ejaculate over my XBO all the time. You guys need to love and appreciate tech design a lot more
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:47 am

Alan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:42 am
That’s still a weird concept! My PS4 sits on the top shelf of the entertainment unit right under the TV and not once have I turned it on because I looked at it ;)
Weird to you maybe but if something is in plain sight you are more likely to use it and in a world where consoles are competing for people's time with Netflix etc, having it in plain sight increases the chances that you interact with it than if it is hidden away under the TV. You also might be more likely to use it for streaming and then you have people constantly looking at your adverts and it increases the likelihood of making sales.

I'm not saying this is suddenly going to massively increase use of the console by having it in plain sight but it does increase the chances that people turn it on more often.

You also need to remember these types of things are not aimed at people like us who are going to be gaming fairly often regardless, it would be to try and increase use from people who don't game as often.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:09 pm

But, conversly, those people want something that will dissapear into their existing setup. Its people "like us" that dont mind essentially a mini PC sitting in their living room. It also kind of baffles me that people use consoles for media when its all built into 99% of tellys these days.

I'm not against the design myself even though it wont really fit in with my current setup other than lying on its side infront of the telly like an ugly light up (please let us turn that off!) soundbar. The name is batty though. XBone can lead to XSeX I suppose.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:09 pm
It also kind of baffles me that people use consoles for media when its all built into 99% of tellys these days.
Probably because 99% of those have terrible UIs and crash constantly, I'd be using a console if I had a remote for it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:05 pm

In that case firesticks are dirt cheap and less hassle. ;)

Though on PS4 you can contol it with your standard TV remote by turning on HDMICEC in settings. Most TVs support that.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:07 pm

January's Games with Gold..

Styx: Shards of Darkness - January 1st - 31st
Batman: The Telltale Series - January 16th - February 15th
Tekken 6 - January 1st - 15th
Lego Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy - January 16th - 31st

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:15 am

So I bought a gen1 Elite controller and wow. They ripped people off good and hard with this didnt they!? I'd take a bet that it doesnt cost them more than $5 extra to make this thing, the innards are basically the same with just a few tweaks. I dont quite know what I was expecting but after the glowing reviews it was quite a let down.

The back paddles are too big and too easy to accidentally hit to the point I just dont use them anymore. 4 were a nightmare, 2 was barable but annoying. The trigger stops are so far down that on my normal trigger pull I dont hit them so no point in them being there (I know thats fixed in the V2). The alternate stick toppers all feel worse than the original ones and the discoball dpad makes it too easy to hit non-cardinal directions. Also if you hold the pad upside down the sticks actually fall a fraction towards you, not the magnetic tops, the whole stick. Granted thats not a massive issue 99% of the time and even if you are lying on your back holding it upside down your thumbs hold the sticks in place but it is annoying on a premium controller. So I've basically removed all the extra crap and I'm left with a standard controller, with slightly nicer wing grips. \:D/

#-o

I really dont like the X1 controller much, I find the sticks too small and sharp edged to be comfortable and I hate the way they rather loudly clack off the plastic casing with pushed all the way. I hoped this would fix this but nope! Its actually slightly worse :lol: Oh well! :mrgreen:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:11 am

Yeah the new controllers have an air of cheapness about them alright.

Witcher 3 is now available on Game Pass. I'm tempted but I gave up on 2 pretty quick after the horrible combat and magic system. Is this better?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:35 am

I haven't played 2, but I've played and given up on the game three times already, and while I wouldn't have said the combat system was the reason, I'd be lying if I said it just clicked for me. I do have it downloaded onto my XBox (remote installation via the Gamepass app is amazing) and I'm sure I'll give it another try.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 pm

The combat is slightly better than in two but it's pretty similar. If you turn down the difficulty then you shouldn't have much trouble, it's honestly worth playing through as it's a great world with interesting characters and a great story. The combat is just a small part of the game.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Downloaded and played for a bit. Looks very nice I must say, voice acting is a bit iffy in places but nothing terrible. Only issue I'm having is it goes to a 10 second loading screen every conversation or interaction, very frustrating when it's does it constantly. I'll have a proper look at it after Xmas holidays.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:52 am

Umm, this is a bold strategy...

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/10/mic ... -xbox-one/

No first party exclusives for up to two years? Are Microsoft no longer interested in shifting hardware? Don't get me wrong, this is a very pro-consumer move, but it flies in the face of conventional console-market logic.

Nintendo have done similar things with the Zelda series (both Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess were available on the previous gen console too), but that was an extremely limited strategy that didn't apply to most of their games output.