Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Console Country!
Hatredsheart

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:21 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:30 am
I would personally never buy a console without a disc drive though, my library is probably split 50/50 between physical and digital and I like to be able to sell titles on after I'm done with them. I'm sure many probably feel the same way. Might be that the discless model would have to be more aggressively discounted just to differentiate it enough from the standard model and convince people to make the switch. It'd make it a viable option for those wanting a full next gen experience but who are also a little bit skint, which is increasingly more people at the moment.
And you'd obviously be cutting yourself off from the second hand market, places like CEX, which I suspect may be one of their motives for discless consoles.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:31 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:18 pm
Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:29 pm
DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:08 pm
The bad Xbox One launch was nothing to do with the games it was the terrible messaging around the TV stuff, always online and used games.
That's my point - the games were not the focus, and they still aren't. Why would anybody buy a games console without any new games worth playing on it?
That depends what you mean, at launch the Xbox will have Yakuza Like a Dragon and The Falconeer which are Xbox Series S/X console launch exclusives and Dirt 5 and AC: Valhalla. Plus a load of other third party stuff that is already out. There are plenty of games to play there are just no Microsoft first party exclusives apart from Gear Tactics which has already come out on the PC. Whether these games make you want to buy a new Xbox to play them on is another matter but I would argue that is almost always the case at the launch of new consoles. It is usually a mix of old software, third party stuff and a sprinkling of first party games which are usually not very good. It's the same over at Sony where the only confirmed first party game is Miles Morales.
Let me put it this way: I'd really like to buy a Series X and I can afford one, but I currently have zero reason to buy one. AC, Dirt and Gears hold no interest for me, and I'm not about to spend £450 on a platform to play games I can already play elsewhere. MS should be grasping the cash from my hands, but instead it's reluctantly going back in the wallet.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 am

Some Xbox accessory prices have gone live now the consoles are available for pre-order. Controllers are £55 and the 1TB storage expansion is £159 which is a pretty good price and lines up with M.2 drives.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Gamestop here are offering a trade in deal for new Xbox. They have a list of games that if you trade in with your old Xbox you get a pretty hefty discount...eg with my 1Tb XBX with 1 game I can get the new console for €280...very tempting I must say. If you have 3 games that drops to €200.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:00 pm

https://filestore.community.support.mic ... pload=true

This is quite infuriating. Cute but infuriating. Sell your digital games in a plastic box that will go straight in the bin. So smart! Seems to be America only right now and I don’t know if it’s MS only but how daft can you be? ](*,)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:00 pm
https://filestore.community.support.mic ... pload=true

This is quite infuriating. Cute but infuriating. Sell your digital games in a plastic box that will go straight in the bin. So smart! Seems to be America only right now and I don’t know if it’s MS only but how daft can you be? ](*,)
Yeah that's a terrible waste of plastic. Being generous, maybe it is for the people who still want to put a box on their shelf.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:34 pm

That sort of shite really needs to be called out. A physical product containing nothing more than a code could be sold as a card with a scratch-off panel. It's years since I bought a game in a shop, but from what I recall the physical media were never actually held on the sales floor anyway, they were always held in a back room somewhere. It's not as if retailers would need to worry about people somehow scratching the panels off without buying the game.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm

The codes are activated at point of sale anyway so even if you pocketed a pile they'd be useless.

If they are for something to put on a shelf make them out of card like old SNES boxes. It would even look nicer.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Pre-ordered an Xbox Series S
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:03 pm

That's hilarious. A 747% increase! Don't get me wrong, Microsoft's console naming scheme is dreadful, but how daft do you have to be to not read the item description when spending £450?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:32 pm

That headline is factually incorrect, sales didn't rocket by 747% the console's sales rank rose by 747% on the Xbox part of Amazon. In reality it amounts to a fraction of sales.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Those wanting to upgrade their storage are looking at £220 for a 1TB SSD. Ouch.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 pm

The dollars to pounds conversion is a bit naff considering this hasn't happened for other stuff. One of the Microsoft bods did say that would be the price this holiday so hopefully it comes down as the SSDs being used get cheaper.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:36 pm

I'd say it was actually pretty common for a USD value to equate to the same figure in GBP these days, in fact I was surprised when the consoles weren't priced in this manner.

But yeah, expecting it to be much less than that would have been wishful thinking. Proprietary memory solutions for games consoles have always carried a significant price premium over similarly specced PC components, and these things are currently around the £160 mark to begin with (assuming they're the equivalent of PCI-E gen 4, which I think the read speeds indicate). I'd be surprised if these devices came down below the £200 mark over the next year or two.