Batman: The Enemy Within‌ – The Complete Season - March 1st - 31st
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - March 16th - April 15th
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 - March 1st - 15th
Sonic Generations - March 16th - 31st

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Xbox & Microsoft News/Discussion

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Interesting note on the whole no Xbox Series X only games, Square had this to say during an investors meeting yesterday.
Q: Could you share your thinking on the development of new titles for current- and next-generation game consoles going forward?

A: The next-generation consoles will have backward compatibility, so we plan for the time being to make our new titles available for both current and next-generation consoles. It will therefore be somewhat farther down the road that we release titles exclusively for the next-generation consoles.

Hatredsheart

Re: Playstation & Sony News/Discussion

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Storage expansion cards sound proprietary and expensive. Unsurprisingly perhaps, it is Microsoft afterall.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Honestly that all looks pretty impressive even if half of it went over my head entirely, but then I suppose it probably has to to justify the expected price tag. It's a little hilarious though that the most impressive demo was Minecraft, and perhaps it's more a comment on Raytracing in general, but the new lighting techniques make it look incredible.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:25 pm
Honestly that all looks pretty impressive even if half of it went over my head entirely, but then I suppose it probably has to to justify the expected price tag. It's a little hilarious though that the most impressive demo was Minecraft, and perhaps it's more a comment on Raytracing in general, but the new lighting techniques make it look incredible.
I think that's more a function of them not wanting to show any new games yet and to be honest the ray tracing stuff in Minecraft, besides Control, is probably the most impressive example of the tech shown so far. As for the proprietary drive, considering what the new drive is going to allow them to do I think it's worth it. You can still hook up a third party drive for backup, you just want be able to play games from there. Considering I currently manage with a 500gb SSD on my PC I don't think it is going to be a major issue unless all games suddenly get much bigger in terms of file size and there has already been talk that the new drives will lead to smaller file sizes because of the way they work and the fact that duplicating data will no longer be necessary.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:27 am

Why not just have a drive bay second bay or even an m3 port? It felt like we were getting away from proprietary but apparently not. It'll be an interesting 6 months.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:43 am

Alan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:27 am
Why not just have a drive bay second bay or even an m3 port? It felt like we were getting away from proprietary but apparently not. It'll be an interesting 6 months.
This article explains the reasoning pretty well.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... full-specs

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am

Interesting. Loading is about the only thing that excites me about a new gen, couldn't really give much of a toss for graphics power right now. The smaller controller does worry me because I already think the X1s is too small, especially the sticks(I stuck PS4 sticks in mine and it makes to soooo much better). Also the discoball dpad sucks so ditching the old cross makes me more wary. But then X1 controllers work on it so theres a safety net.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:44 am

Well Sony’s deep dive was pish. They don’t seem to understand show don’t tell or at least show and tell. One interesting thing though, their throughput is 5.5gb where MS is only 2.4gb. Like I said earlier that’s more important to me than pure power but how can there be such a huge gap there when the rest of the machines specs are so similar?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 am

From reading the DF article Microsoft have gone for a different type of decompression instead it looks like and I would bet that the tech Sony are using for the drive means it is not cheap. Once you factor in the throttling cores of the PS5 I don't think it is as close to the Xbox as it looks on paper.

I remain to be convinced about the super fast SSD, Sony titles will obviously take advantage of it but everything else is going to hit the most common denominator which will be a more standard SSD. It's certainly a tough sell marketing wise.

EDIT: It has been interesting seeing the reaction to the PS5 spec reveal over the past few days. Now that the Xbox is technically faster for the first time since the OG Xbox, suddenly graphical power isn't important to a lot of people, the same people who over the years have said how important it was that the PS3 and PS4 were the most powerful. It doesn't really matter in practice, except for marketing purposes but the mental gymnastics people have pulled to justify their switch of stance is rather funny.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:33 pm

April's Games with Gold...
Project Cars 2 - April 1st - 30th
Knights of Pen and Paper Bundle - April 16th - May 15th
Fable Anniversary - April 1st - 15th
Toybox Turbos - April 16th - 30th

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Has anyone tried Project Cars 2? Just from the trailer it looks amazing. I'm very casual when it comes to racing games, I fear it might be too realistic for my naff driving skills.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 pm

I believe it is more towards the Asetto Corsa end of the scale.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:40 pm
I believe it is more towards the Asetto Corsa end of the scale.
:-s