Hideo Kojima presents Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, a Kojima Productions game by Hideo Kojima [PS4]

Console Country!
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: Hideo Kojima presents Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, a Kojima Productions game by Hideo Kojima [PS4]

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:28 pm
i did review quick skips - it essentially a 3rd person walking simulator :|
A stroll playing game surely. :D

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Hideo Kojima presents Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, a Kojima Productions game by Hideo Kojima [PS4]

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:52 pm

:lol:

I don't even mind that. Some games are just fine for exploring the world if they have the right atmosphere and enough intriguing reasons to do it. I don't need to be constantly killing things to feel like I'm progressing.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Just read that it will be released summer 2020 on Epic and Steam simultaneously, not a timed release.
Now there's a novelty.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/death-st ... mes-store/
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:47 pm

it looks too boring for me

I'll pass
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Yeah, though the story trailer really grabbed my attention, descriptions of what you actually do in between cutscenes make this sound like an absolute chore of a game. I suppose this is what happens when you give complete control to a self-aggrandising lunatic like Kojima. It's so frustrating too; I love the man's attention to detail when it comes to world building and his preference for the wacky and cinematic, but it sounds like this is a complete dud of an actual game.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 pm

I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.
"US too stupid to get my game" Or maybe your game has flaws and some people didn't like it. The more this guy talks the less I like him and the more I think the media fawning over him was seriously misjudged.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm

the fact the game is so marmite is not a bad thing. It's not for me but if someone else loves it, all the more for him, it takes nothing from me.

I don't get why people get so annoyed when someone else has a different opinion. Everything in this day and age is either brilliant or shit

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 pm

I just got that the statement was from Kojima himself. Yeah the man is disappearing up his own arsehole

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 pm

As much of an ego maniac he seems to be nowadays I don't think he is particularly off the mark with that comment. US audiences do consume a different style of media in comparison to European and Japanese audiences.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am

Mantis wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 pm
As much of an ego maniac he seems to be nowadays I don't think he is particularly off the mark with that comment. US audiences do consume a different style of media in comparison to European and Japanese audiences.
I'm not sure this bears itself out in any meaningful way, the games that are popular in the US are pretty much the ones that are popular in Europe, the only place it really differs is Japan. Also if this was the case he's not just saying they consume different media but that US consumers are less intelligent.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am

Yeah, it comes across to me as "America is too low-brow to get my work."

Death Stranding (and Kojima's other stuff) holds no appeal for me, and from the little I have seen it strikes me as the gaming equivalent of Tracey Emin's unmade bed. If people get any meaningful insight from it, great, but it leaves me utterly cold. Presumably Kojima would think I'm a bit of a thicky.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:19 am

I think there is merit to some of the gameplay stuff and the co-op stuff sounds neat but the story sounds like heavy handed nonsense.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Mantis wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Japan maybe yes but after spending 9 years looking at the video game sell through, first for US market, now for the UK market, they are very similar with the exception of FIFA which does not have the same footprint in the US compared to Europe (for them its Madden) and maybe some strategy and sim games which are more popular in Europe. The US does gravitate towards the shooty bang bang but given almost all games have an element of gun violence, that is to be expected

Kojima does have a problem a lot of self centered artists suffer from - refusal to accept that some people actually dislike what they made.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:05 am

I don't know about the US being 'a bit dim' as he certainly seems to be suggesting, I don't really get his games.

I am certainly not casting any wider aspersion as I know that many on here love them, but I just don't get him at all. MGS5 was a great game, I loved the whole stealthy open world infiltration, but the story was absolute bobbins to me. Had it been a story of a mercenary group based on an oil-rig taking on missions I would have lapped it up. I loved kidnapping experts whether to provide linguistic translations or to help research weapon upgrades, and it had some great missions in it. The only problem for me was when it went all Kojima, from the skull-faced zoomy fellas to the tit in the cowboy hat, the robot dinosaur, floaty kid and burning bloke, for me all of that could be dumped in the bin and the game would have been a whole lot better for it. Quiet was an interesting character, but that outfit...?

I think MGS5 was the odd one out for me in his games, in that the core of it really engaged me, to the point that I would push through the elements that were just gibberish to me in order to enjoy more of that core gameplay.

This one, while it sounds different, is just not for me I don't think.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=