Hideo Kojima presents Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, a Kojima Productions game by Hideo Kojima [PS4]

Console Country!
Alan

Re: Hideo Kojima presents Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, a Kojima Productions game by Hideo Kojima [PS4]

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 am

Here’s the thing, idiots told Kojima he was a genius and everyone went with it and he now believes it. I love the MGS games (except 3 and 5) and I love the batshit story but it’s not a good story, it’s a student trying to emulate real filmmakers in that heavy handed way most students do with neon signs that say “SYMBOLISM HERE!!!!”. He has never been good at any of these things but the bmovie charm and in most cases the voice actors charm make the utter rubbish he comes up with great.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Re: Hideo Kojima presents Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, a Kojima Productions game by Hideo Kojima [PS4]

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I do actually like Kojima's style, especially his flair for the absurd, but I would be hesitant to call him a genius.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume there was perhaps an element of his comments that didn't translate well. It would be silly to purposefully alienate a major part of your audience when you've just spent however many millions on developing a game and are just starting to sell it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:28 pm

I love the absurd stuff. I feel pretty much the opposite to Snowy in that MGS5 is my least favourite because whilst the game mechanics are all solid, the crazy story just isn't as fleshed out or well done. MGS1 and 2 are two of my favourite titles, the writing and story in those games are excellent.

I caved and bought this. Not super far in yet but it's really interesting. The gameplay is actually quite neat, you have to hold the shoulder buttons to keep your balance if you're moving too fast or carrying too much of a heavy load when you're scaling the terrain. Likewise with when you're crossing torrents of water, if you're not really methodical with your movement then Sam loses his balance and gets swept away and you lose some of your parcels. It's a really interesting change of pace. Just walking through the landscape with the mellow music droning in the background is very atmospheric.

The story so far hasn't been obnoxiously cutscene heavy and has been both well scripted with good voice performances.

I think this game is going to be a very special experience.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:28 pm
I love the absurd stuff. I feel pretty much the opposite to Snowy in that MGS5 is my least favourite because whilst the game mechanics are all solid, the crazy story just isn't as fleshed out or well done. MGS1 and 2 are two of my favourite titles, the writing and story in those games are excellent.
You mean Quiet having to be nearly naked because she breaths through her skin wasn't crazy enough for you?

I played MGS2 long after release and found the story to be bonkers fun but I wouldn't say it was well especially well written, competent is probably the most apt word.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 pm

I believe there's are stages set during battles in WW1, WW2 and Vietnam. That peaked my interest a bit.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Holy cow this game plays crap

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 am

For what it's worth I think this game is excellent. It's not going to convince any Kojima doubters and it suffers from similar issues that many other Japanese games do with how menu heavy it is, but overall it is still a solid gameplay experience. Mixing stealth with open world exploration and action.

That chap can play up the eccentricities all he likes, the foundation of the game is still solid. I find it odd that a slightly different gameplay style would be so heavily lambasted. There was a recent smash hit title where you literally play as a goose and annoy people, but apparently a slow paced game where you have to methodically plan your route around an open world delivering parcels whilst avoiding enemies is one step too far out there.

The overly pretentious hype for this game from both Kojima and the fan base didn't do it any favours as it just makes it easier to mock. Take it at face value for what it is and it's really rather cool.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:29 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:14 am
There was a recent smash hit title where you literally play as a goose and annoy people, but apparently a slow paced game where you have to methodically plan your route around an open world delivering parcels whilst avoiding enemies is one step too far out there.
The core gameplay seems like it could be an interesting concept, but on a superficial level, playing as a mischievous goose is a much more fun headline than playing as a wilderness postman.

Untitled Goose Game is superb, incidentally.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:08 pm

I really don't see Untitled Goose Game as a suitable comparison. It's a game with four controls; movement, grab, flap and honk, and that's it. From what reviews have mentioned, Death Stranding is systems atop systems atop exposition atop more systems. DS is grandiose storytelling, while UGG is just charming simplicity.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:29 pm

From what I've seen so far the gameplay loop is actually pretty simplistic. You load up on parcels, choosing whether to carry them in your hands or on your back, then try not to fall over while navigating the wasteland of America.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm

There was a recent smash hit title where you literally play as a goose and annoy people, but apparently a slow paced game where you have to methodically plan your route around an open world delivering parcels whilst avoiding enemies is one step too far out there.
Yeah Goose Game is a weird comparison and you are only doing those things for a few hours not 40+.

(Untitled Goose Game is great btw)

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Kojima is a giant hack.
Spoiler

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:19 pm

That's actually excruciating.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 pm

This game...the tone. It looks serious or dramatic then something happens and it's like "oh right, Kojima." There are some nice moments though, which aren't interrupted by Kojima. The first sight of Port Knox City comes to mind.

This is weird, a Kojima directed game where I don't want him to butt in and ruin the moment.

Or maybe thats the kind of weird he was after.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:07 pm

I went on Wiki to read the plot synopsis and it made my head hurt.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.