The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's personal

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Cheers guys, really enjoying the curveballs into chaos! :lol:

Feats are absolutely valid, there are some highly useful ones, so feel free to go with either a feat or your ability score improvements.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:37 pm

Excellent, in which case I'm going to take Actor so that I can really cause trouble. I've never tried a game with feats before.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:25 am

Requesting a thread title change to "This time it's potatoes."

Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:17 am

Done (for this post, anyway). :) I can't see a way for me to edit the topic title, but I expect Mantis can help with that.

A recap of last night for posterity:
The party left Thundertree and headed south through the woods, following the eccentric hermit Reidoth as he led the way to Wave Echo Cave and the lost mine. After a long day's trek, everyone settled down for the night not far from Cragmaw Castle, with Slythe and Sage's new animal companion, Raven, keeping a watchful eye. Numerous lights heading towards the castle were spotted throughout the night, and closer inspection from Raven swooping overhead identified one of the groups as hobgoblins. The party decided to return to Cragmaw to sneakily investigate in the morning, but aside from some disgruntled goblins and the statue form of Ellis apparently missing, little caught their eye and so the journey south continued.

Reidoth reluctantly mentioned how he had once been a druid and part of a group called the Emerald Enclave, and that given time to prepare he could magically try and contact the group to see if they knew anything of the troubles in the area. The party decided to rest at the village of Phandalin so that Reidoth could make the attempt before heading to the mine. Arriving at Phandalin around dusk, Slythe was concerned to find a wanted poster with his face on it, requesting he be brought in for questioning regarding his part in the Redbrand massacre several days prior. Donning a false moustache and glasses and adopting the accent of a Frankish gnome, he sauntered to the inn with Truss and Reidoth, confident in his nonchalant anonymity.

Sage and Charr proceeded to the Townmaster's hall to offer information on Slythe, cunningly telling them to search the roads to the north. They then headed to Barthen's provisions, where a ruckus was narrowly avoided after Sage attempted to magically influence Barthen into giving him four healing potions (the most expensive items in the shop at 100gp apiece) for free, and was caught. Charr, however, found the true gold on offer and procured four potatoes. Were these the vegetables of which the soothsayers foretold, the Potatoes of Destiny, their starchy forms the key to treasures untold and responsible for the fate of the very multiverse? Time, as always, will tell.

Sage and Charr regrouped with the party at the inn, Sildar and Gundren with them at the table. Gundren was thrilled that the way to the mine had been recovered but was also concerned for his two brothers who were missing. Sildar expressed concerns that the Townmaster hadn't accepted the truth regarding the Redbrand incident and that if Slythe and his associates were brought in they would be subjected to more than questioning. He also spoke of his general mistrust of the Townmaster and speculated that he was perhaps involved with the bandit raids and kidnappings in some way, though he emphasised that he could be mistaken and that the Townmaster was simply an arse.

With this suspicion raised, Sage, Charr and Truss went to execute a masterful plan to gather intel. Disguised as a human and using the same tactic that had failed on Barthen, Sage attempted to magically force the Townmaster to spill the beans, but unfortunately this resulted in the Townmaster ordering his guard to arrest Sage. As Sage fled the scene, Charr stepped dramatically into the doorway, potatoes at his side, and used his sorcery to put the Townmaster and the guard to sleep. Having retreated to the inn and explained the situation, Sildar agreed to try and calm the now awakened Townmaster and guards shouting outside. He managed to talk the Townmaster down, but it was made clear that Sildar and his friends from the Lords' Alliance were not entirely welcome in Phandalin.

After a night in the inn, the party went outside to find Reidoth asleep in the muck of the town square. They startled him awake and he set about contacting the Emerald Enclave. He asked about Cragmaw castle, any general trouble in the area, if they knew where any kidnappings had taken place and whether the Black Spider was behind them. They replied that there were goblins and hobgoblins at Cragmaw, there had been raids and kidnappings of three dwarves in the area (one of which was Gundren, the other of which they said took place at Conyberry; the location of the third was unknown to them) and that the Black Spider was responsible. The party concluded that the mine was still their best chance of finding the Black Spider and prepared to leave Phandalin.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:42 am

I like how our decision to saunter into town for rest and provisions resulted in more chaos than any of our combat encounters to date :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:57 am

Was great fun, had no idea any of that was going to happen! It felt mostly like this:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:02 am

You did well! I was surprised when you said you'd not really expected us to return to Cragmaw either as it really felt like there was something directing us there :o

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Cheers! :)

The Cragmaw thing... I don’t want to say too much as it may still be relevant, but it was more a case of this is what’s happening there at this point, this is what you see with your perception rolls. I’d not anticipated a return there this session but sometimes the natural course of events leads to unexpected places.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:50 pm

I don't think we'd have even been aware of it if I'd not had my familiar do some scouting by flying around. The downsides to having a fully controllable super mobile summon in the party, forces the DM to think up stuff they never anticipated.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Looks like I can do Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday this week. How’s that work for everyone?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Tuesday's best for me in terms of a prompt start and not having semi-feral kids running around in the background :)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 pm

I think thursday is my preferred day in general, but tuesday or wednesday ought to be fine.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Thursdays are normally fine for me but I’ve been dragged into losing money at poker this week. :(

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am

Tuesday is fine for me. In fact, pretty much any day is barring today.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Tomorrow it is!