Currently Listening

For your eyes and ears.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: Currently Listening

Post by Mantis » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm not sure why I never really paid these guys much attention in the past, but I've been listening to a lot of Gojira lately.

They are excellent.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 am

I am listening to Om this week. Stoner doom metal with a strong "eastern mystical" vibe. They've become one of my favourite artists in recent times.

They have three albums of note:

God is Good

Pilgrimage

Adviatic Songs

All good, but the latter is my favourite.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:52 am

They've come a long way since the early 90s ;)

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:46 pm
I think Lateralus is a great album, both lyrically and musically; it's got a lot of funky time signatures that they effortlessly groove on, and I'm pretty into that kind of stuff.
That's the only one I've tried (and vehemently disliked). I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like. I love other proggy bands and I really like interesting time signatures… it just doesn't gel for me, weird.

Anyway, what I have been listening to is Coheed and Cambria – The Unheavenly Creatures. A return to the Amory Wars storyline which all of their albums (except the previous one) tell part of, stretching the "concept album" idea out to "concept band".

There's some great tracks on here, the title track being one of them. The Gutter is another – released before the album as a single so I've had plenty of time for that to grow on me and get stuck in my head.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am

I've really just been going through the whole GYBE! back catalogue lately. They remain one of my favorite bands. Their latest album took a few plays, but it really is a masterpiece, expertly straddling cold bleak paranoia, and absolute euphoria with ease. They are geniuses.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Gojira are a fucking wonderful band - and that version of Global Warming is killer.

For me, I have mostly been listening to Behemoth recently. I loved The Satanist and their new album I loved you at your darkest follows the progression. It has met with really mixed reviews, with die hard Behemoth fans lamenting the move away from pure brutality into more open (but still pretty brutal) songs where there is more space and some of the heaviest clean guitar sound I have ever met.

It is a funny one for me, I kinda am a die-hard Behemoth fan, enjoyed them for a long while, but I really dig their new stuff. I am never a fan of kiddie choirs in songs, so God = Dog took some time for me to dig it, but for me it is a really expansive and well crafted album. I have tix to see them live in February, and as I told Nergal at the album signing I went to recently I can't fucking wait to hear some of their new stuff live. I got a grin, a handshake and a thrown set of horns in response :twisted:

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 pm

I've also been listening to a lot of Russian Circles recently. It's really good. Instrumental post-rock, occasionally heavy as fuck. I think a lot of people on here would like it. I recommend starting with the album Guidance, which is their most recent I think.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Russian Circles are excellent. I think Memorial and Geneva are their best albums, but they're all good.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:56 pm

The lyrics are silly and the video is odd, but its a fucking cracking song once it gets going.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:41 am

William Shatner has released a Christmas album called Shatner Claus. This is not a drill.

Prepare your ears accordingly.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:57 pm

My latest obsession is with a band called Ice Nine Kills (which is a reference to Ice Nine: a fictional material that appears in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle).

I'd heard the name kicking around a few times but ignored them since the name made them sound really shit. Turns out that all their tracks are inspired by fiction (novels for the older ones, films on the latest), and their track A Grave Mistake is inspired by The Crow, which is one of my favourite films ever. It popped up on a recommendations playlist and immediately hooked me. I grabbed the album and it's wall-to-wall gold! The wiki article lists all the films that inspire the songs. The breakdown in Rocking the Boat is basically just the DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN section of the Jaws soundtrack, which is ace. :D

The final track IT is the End (which has guest appearances from fuckin' everyone including Less Than Jake) is amazing, too. Want to hear a metalcore song with a honka-honka of a clown horn in? This is the song for you.

A Grave Mistake (inspired by The Crow)

Rocking the Boat (inspired by Jaws)

IT is the End (inspired by IT (obviously))
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 pm

That's not for me, even though I wanted to really like it. I just can't do vocals like that. Went to see Amorphis play the Camden Electric Ballroom last night, and Soilwork supported - much as I wanted to like them as they really went for it, that style of vocals just doesn't work for me, kills the songs stone dead.

But then, horses for courses right? :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:52 am

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:28 pm

I'd sorta gone off dungeon-synth a bit in recent times as I was finding it all a bit samey and uninspiring.

BUT THEN I found this album:

Definitely more my thing.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:52 am
Got there before me. It's absolutely bonkers but I love it.