Anthem [PC, PS4, XBone] - February 22nd 2019

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Anthem [PC, PS4, XBone] - February 22nd 2019

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:04 pm

Angry Joe savaged it earlier today as well.

More and more thinking I just won't bother, regardless of how low the price drops.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:13 am

Angry Joe is pretty much spot on. It's incredible that a loot shooter could get the loot so wrong.

I've had my fill now and I doubt I will be going back. The Division 2 looks like it is going to be far more successful in being that type of game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else bar AJ's video is how crafted weapons have randomised stats... so something that takes (at the rates they were suggesting) 30+ hours of play saving up to build may end up kinda useless. The flamethrower that after an enemy kill has its damage boosted by 0 for 0 seconds stacking 0 times was pretty funny, but imagine if you'd spent so long waiting and grinding samey missions to craft that you'd be furious.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 pm

The smaller stats are randomly generated but the big one at the top isn't. That's not different to how loot works in most of these types of games to be fair, Diablo 3 and Destiny are exactly the same.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:27 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 pm
The smaller stats are randomly generated but the big one at the top isn't. That's not different to how loot works in most of these types of games to be fair, Diablo 3 and Destiny are exactly the same.
It has to be within a set range, though, right? That 0 damage for 0 seconds thing was ridiculous. If you're forcing people to craft with tokens it takes dozens of hours of grind to accrue/afford, then surely you shouldn't leave so much to chance they'll end up with something so useless.

The fact all the guns look and sound the same isn't great, either. This is sci-fi, go nuts! Some of the guns in ME3 were insanely fun to use.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:07 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:13 am
Angry Joe is pretty much spot on. It's incredible that a loot shooter could get the loot so wrong.

I've had my fill now and I doubt I will be going back. The Division 2 looks like it is going to be far more successful in being that type of game.
Incidentally, given the failure of Anthem and the fact I just can't/don't want to get into Destiny 2, I've been wondering about whether I might be up for The Division 2. I think there might be others as well (Snowy?).

I wonder if we might get some groups going when that comes out...

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Well that 0% one is a bug which obviously sucks but isn't intended.

I've pre-ordered the Division 2 so would be up for some grouping.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:31 pm

So the numbers came in for pyhsical and it sold worse than Fallout 76. Those that paid the £15 for the game pass nonsense how many do you think will even stay around long enough to buy the cosmetics.

Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Yikes. Bye bye, Bioware.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:50 pm

Surely there are way too many caveats to be judging how well it sold given that it only launched 3 days ago and we only have the UK physical sales. Don't get me wrong, I reckon this will absolutely be a flop, but let's at least give it a week before we write it off.

I think the really sad thing is that everything I've heard about the game, I (and most pundits) basically guessed would be the case well over a year ago. It's an uninspired, if quite pretty Destiny clone where the characters can fly. That's it. Amusingly it turns out that the fairly dull E3 unveil trailer was surprisingly accurate to the finished product, which given the controversy over bullshots and fakehorizontal slice gameplay trailers (or whatever the terminology was) in previous years, is about the best compliment I can give to yet another boring EA game-by-numbers.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 pm

I have mixed feelings about the outlook of this. First and foremost, I don't want Bioware to close. At the bare minimum I want to see Dragon Age 4. On the other hand, I find it reassuring that these bland AAA attempts to extract money while offering little of value in return are beginning to fail. People are voting with their wallets, which is the only thing that will force EA and similar gargantuan gaming overlords to listen.

Anthem has made no sense to me from the start, largely because this is not what Bioware do. I know they've peddled the line that they should be allowed to make something different, and that's fair enough, but I don't believe a word of it. I don't imagine that a creative studio with a proven track record in high quality single-player RPGs would suddenly want to make Destiny, as much as EA insist otherwise. And I and a large portion of Bioware's player-base were vocal from the start that we didn't want them to make it either. If I go to an Indian restaurant, I don't want to order pizza. But here we are, and the inevitable has happened: Anthem is mediocre or worse, gamers are disappointed or indifferent, Bioware is in danger and EA's forecasts for the game are being slashed. Who is happy with this? Who has gained from this avoidable disaster that, as Raid says, everyone saw coming over a year ago?

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Well this is the most important time for a released game when they can get full price for it. It's what all publishers want for at least a week or two before offering discounts if it's not moving copies. You can say in time maybe the whales keep it a float through cosmetics buying but you need still a large % of playerbase to in the hope you get the whales or enough of them in that %.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 pm

I'm really quite astonished about the claims of poor loot. Did someone just forget that entertaining and desirable loot is a driving force in these things? Right now, it sounds like there's a few hours of gameplay and then nothing to keep people playing. What's the point of launching a live service game that has the playtime of a single player one? Content is king for a multiplayer game, and I have to assume that EA have told Bioware to hold content back so that there can be a steady flow of new stuff for players to do, but they've overestimated how much content they were launching with. There's even the possibility that Bioware just don't know how to make a live service, because it just isn't their genre.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:43 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:54 pm
Yikes. Bye bye, Bioware.

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:15 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 pm
I'm really quite astonished about the claims of poor loot. Did someone just forget that entertaining and desirable loot is a driving force in these things? Right now, it sounds like there's a few hours of gameplay and then nothing to keep people playing. What's the point of launching a live service game that has the playtime of a single player one? Content is king for a multiplayer game, and I have to assume that EA have told Bioware to hold content back so that there can be a steady flow of new stuff for players to do, but they've overestimated how much content they were launching with. There's even the possibility that Bioware just don't know how to make a live service, because it just isn't their genre.

Isn't just limited to Bioware/EA not judging if there is enough content. Blizzard fucked up big time with BFA that many people had seen all and done it in the first month and left in the droves over it and other really stupid decisions to make it not fun playing it.

But you're bang on that a singleplayer game as a live service is just plain stupid.

Be nice if they would just get some normal game loving folk back into the top positions to show them the errors. Certainly isn't going to come from the Media or Customers pointing it out to them or skipping buying the game.