Post by Medicine Man » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm

DISTRAINT: Deluxe Edition...

https://www.gog.com/game/distraint_deluxe_edition

FREE!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Good Old Games - News and Sales

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:31 am

GOG have laid off 12 staff, which doesn't sound like a lot but is 10% of their staff. People who work their say it is due to the company being in financial difficulty and close to being in the red. They talk about the move to a lower cut for stores, prompted by the Epic Store move, seriously effecting the bottom line. Would be sad to see GOG go under as a by product of Epic trying to muscle their way into the market.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am

That's worrying. What will happen to all the user accounts/libraries if they go under?
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:40 am

Really hope GOG keeps going. If the worst happens, the one saving grace for their users is that they can download their entire library DRM-free.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:45 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am
That's worrying. What will happen to all the user accounts/libraries if they go under?
No idea, this is the issue with digital nobody knows what happens when a storefront goes down. At least with them being DRM free you should be able to grab them from other places.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Remember their hilarious April Fools joke a few years back when they said they were shutting down?

I'm sure this news will trigger a similar response in the user base which can only contribute further to their woes.

I like GOG despite their cack-handed attempts at humour in the past and like you say Dj it would be a great shame to see them fail.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 pm

On the flipside, GOG claim it's part of a restructuring and they're hiring 20 new people as we speak:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... g-layoffs/

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:12 pm

It seems they are also doing away with their fair price program as well..

https://www.gog.com/news/conclusion_of_ ... eb_program
On March 31st we are going to discontinue the Fair Price Package program. Let us explain the reasoning behind this decision.
We came up with Fair Price Package (FPP) as a way to make up the price difference between various countries. Some games on GOG.COM have regional pricing, meaning the price of the same game in one place can be higher compared to its price in North America. In countries where the game is more expensive, we give users the equivalent of the price difference in GOG Wallet funds. In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.
In the past, we were able to cover these extra costs from our cut and still turn a small profit. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore. With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller. However, we look at it, at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.
Removing FPP is not a decision we make lightly, but by making this change, we will be able to offer better conditions to game creators, which — in turn — will allow us to offer you more curated back-cat games and new releases. All DRM-free.
We wanted to make sure you have some lead time to still benefit from the Fair Price Package. The program will last until the 31st of March, 2019, so if you would like to take advantage of it, now is the time. The funds you gather from the program will keep the 12 months expiration date from the moment you’ve been granted your last funds.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:36 pm

So in the act of doing away with the Fair Price Program, are they essentially saying their prices going forward are now going to be unfair? ¬_¬
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 pm

When you buy digital you buying a licence to download and the risk is yours because how else could it not be. The "good" you are buying is all 1s and 0s on a server somewhere and if the business that runs the server goes bankrupt, server is shut, bang goes your "good"

So we all spent hundreds of pounds with Valve and if one day they close shop - say bye bye to your games.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:13 am

Gabe has always said if that was to happen they would remove the drm beforehand for you to download the games for keeps. And I think I can trust that guy on his word :)
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:14 pm

Given they're part of CD Projekt, I'd be very very surprised if GOG disappeared. It sounds like they're just adapting to meet a changing market, which invariably leads to some upheaval.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Weekend sale...

https://www.gog.com/promo/20190301_weekend_sale

Botanicula, Chuchel, Donut County and Gorogoa among others

Lee

Post by Lee » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:28 pm

To be honest GOG is a niche market so I can see them firing off people if they expanded from say recent sales of a recent title "Witcher 3". I love the site myself but I know the limited the games on it will hamper sales. And it's not likely the other IP owners view as some sort of gold mine or from ignorance in not offering them on the store.

I got close 400 titles so not someone that is against GOG incase that idea crept from my past words!
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Diablo has appeared on GOG...

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo
Blizzard Entertainment and GOG.COM have teamed up to rerelease select classic Blizzard games, beginning with Diablo®, Blizzard’s legendary 1996 action role-playing game that introduced players to the harsh—and deeply rewarding—world of Sanctuary.
The original Diablo® is available now via digital distribution for the first time ever on GOG.COM. Players looking for the authentic Diablo experience can play the game as it was in 1996, with period-appropriate 20 FPS SVGA graphics, and the ability to matchmake through the classic version of Blizzard’s Battle.net® online-gaming service.
Blizzard and GOG.COM have collaborated on an updated version of the game, which includes out-of-the-box Windows 10 compatibility, and a host of bug fixes. Players can choose either version of the game from a launcher.
Warcraft 1 and 2 to follow apparently