The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Drarok

Re: The elephant in the room - Brexit

Post by Drarok » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am

Is it conjecture, or is it strongly indicated by his history, his statements, and his actions? We can certainly agree he looks inept.

Here's a good collection, for a start: https://www.markpack.org.uk/153744/jere ... yn-brexit/
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:36 am

Drarok wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am
We can certainly agree he looks inept.
No we can't. Not being able to overcome the constant noise of the media and your own party undermining you is one thing; being inept is another thing entirely.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:24 pm
…staying on the fence over the matter, but he's dallied for so long that it's starting to make him look inept
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Sorry, thought you were using the collective "we".

I don't understand what May is thinking right now.
BBC News wrote:The UK can still leave the EU with a "good deal", Theresa May has insisted.
Sir Bedevere wrote:...Look, if we built this large, wooden badger...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm

I get the feeling that May's brain was accidentally set to read only about six months ago. Has anyone checked the side of her head to see if there's a small plastic tab missing?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Holy shit that was close; a majority of just *four* MPs voted against accepting a No Deal situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47562995

What the hell is wrong with these people?!

eny

Post by eny » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:30 pm

This Wetherspoons boss is a dick, ffs.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Wasn't that the guy that suggested people vote to Leave on his company's beermats? Didn't he then come out and say that it would mean putting the prices up for his customers? He's not only an arsehole, he's a short sighted one too.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:46 pm
Wasn't that the guy that suggested people vote to Leave on his company's beermats? Didn't he then come out and say that it would mean putting the prices up for his customers? He's not only an arsehole, he's a short sighted one too.
The signs in my local one promote homegrown Strika liqueur as an alternative to Jaegermeister, and the drinks menus repeatedly state BUYING BRITISH = LOW PRICES or summat.

....then why didn't you do that in the fucking first place??
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 am

Nigel Farage now actively trying to lobby EU right wing governments to refuse to allow the UK an extension of A50. Pretty sure that lobbying a foreign power to act against the interests of the state is still an offence of treason, for which the punishment is life in prison.

Where are the leading figures coming out to reject Brexit entirely? We need a leader now more than ever to rise up and have the courage to day that this is all wrong.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 am

Mantis wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 am
We need a leader now more than ever to rise up and have the courage to day that this is all wrong.
The idea of a leader "rising up" and overriding a democratic decision of the people makes me very nervous.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am

Something needs to happen. Brexit has completely undone any ability our current representatives have to do anything. Can't believe there were only 4 votes in it, what are these bell-ends, lemmings?

Wheeeeee a cliff!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 am
Mantis wrote:
We need a leader now more than ever to rise up and have the courage to day that this is all wrong.
The idea of a leader "rising up" and overriding a democratic decision of the people makes me very nervous.
A democratic decision based on lies, dodgy money, misinformation and fiddling the voting criteria so that many of the people most affected couldn't take part.

It's farce democracy. Brexit is a right wing coup and nothing else I'm afraid. There is no upside to leaving apart from making a small group of disaster capitalists a fortune and placating hard right xenophobes.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 am

Apart from anything else, in a post-Brexit Britain these incapable dithering cockwits would be the only ones able to affect the legislation of the UK. That alone is terrifying!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

Mantis wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am
Stormbringer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 am
Mantis wrote:
A democratic decision based on lies, dodgy money, misinformation and fiddling the voting criteria so that many of the people most affected couldn't take part.

Still a democratic decision, though, and if we believe in democracy we have to uphold the sacredness of that. The people that don't like the outcome will always label those who voted the other way as idiots (and a variety of other names) and blame this, that and other (we saw exactly the same thing in Scotland when the Separatists didn't get what they wanted). But if you believe in democracy you have to accept the outcome and find a way to deal with it. To speak of strong leaders rising up and overthrowing democracy because you didn't like the result of a referendum is the first step on the path to tyranny.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels