VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Drarok

Re: VR!

Post by Drarok » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:10 pm

I've had to move my PC out of the "spare" room (which is now my 5-month-old child's room) into our bedroom, and there's just not enough room for VR anymore. Fuck's sake. ☹️
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Oh I've seen enough funny videos of people with VR when moving around that I am glad I will be using instead in a seating position mostly. I think Snowy said before that he helps somewhat to get used to it quicker. Also I don't want to be replacing anything smashed accidentally :lol: :lol:

I'd have to move my bed out of the room to do roomscale VR but I think 4mx4m (minus space for the tables and pc) would be still to tight.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 am

If it's light enough like our spare room bed was, flipping it up onto its side gives a lot of extra room for little effort.
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:58 am

Aye I could attempt that if I get the itch to try roomscale down the line :)

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:02 pm

When moved into a 1bed city centre money pit I was literally climbing over the couch which kind of worked for super hot. Also play superhot. Make the space :p
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Yeah, Superhot is great, but I think overall I preferred Robo Recall as it felt more of a complete game over a super cool tech demo.
Raid wrote:

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Currently setting up the thing. I wasn't prepared for the amount of cables. I'll get around to Superhot VR :)

Just been quickly mucking around in it. Very neat feeling but I was to worried of hitting the table or screen with the hand things. Elite Kept on crashing through. Was going to load it up just to have a look in whatever ship I was last in.

Think I'll hang the cables over the curtain rail that used to use as a green screen as that weight was off putting but I'll guess I'll get used to it hanging down my neck and back in time :)

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:34 am

Okay I think I can play Superhot Vr just not with any amount of crazy of side stepping or back and forth. But can spin around without hitting anything but I am really struggling in being able to pick things up like the gun or grabbing the triangle things. I can't find any option to have the camera at me even though I am in standing room mode in VR. I literally have to extend way out to reach something.

How do you fix the camera position? Do I have to really sit the headset on the ground and calibrate it outside of the game? I can't do that if I could as there is zero line of sight to the satellites once it goes below my desk. And faffing around in the options I can't seem to find a way to move the white bounding box at my feet. I am a complete eegit at this I know :)

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 am

It does sound like the steamVR setup hasn't worked correctly. I can't remember the last time I've had to reset the headset so it should be set once, use forever.
Actually, I take that back, some seated games do need me to reset sometimes, I'm looking at you Elite. But then there's a button in game to do that (F12) which I actually have set to a voice attack app spoken command as otherwise I'm struggling to get my head in position as well as press the keyboard.

I swear by an additional add on to steamVR called something like advanced open VR settings. It sits in its own tab and gives you greater control over the SteamVR settings.- https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Sett ... s/releases - which should also help with the floor markings. I turn everything off apart from a little square right at the centre of the playspace so I can reset myself physically.
-- To be completed at some point --

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 am

Cheers Rusty that was a perfect tool :) Wonder why Steam hasn't inbuilt that before.

Now to try and rearrange the room a bit better for Super hot.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:54 am

F12 when you start Elite is a must, absolutely zeroes you in.

Have you managed to get onto Elite yet mate? Really keen to hear your thoughts :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Tried on a VR headset today. Felt really ill. Never again.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:52 pm

Snowy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:54 am
F12 when you start Elite is a must, absolutely zeroes you in.

Have you managed to get onto Elite yet mate? Really keen to hear your thoughts :)
Next couple of days I should be back into Elite and let the crashing commence. I found out why Elite was crashing and it was from it trying to run the 32bit version. Had a quick look in the ASP cockpit. kept trying to grab the joysticks in front of me :lol:

Did record myself trying to play Project Cars 2 with a ps4 pad first time doing both... it went as well as you can imagine.

I don't get any of the side effects people usual have with it so I really lucked out there :D

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm
Tried on a VR headset today. Felt really ill. Never again.
Shit! That's a real shame. Where and what did you try?
-- To be completed at some point --

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:02 am

It was at work: testing out interactive tour guides for people unable to physically attend a tour. Just put on a pair of VR goggles and go on a 360 video tour instead... :-&

Not sure what the brand of headset was, but it had a small camera in the front and came with a magic cube (I called it the Horadric Cube) that you could hold, which could have any virtual 3D object you wanted be assigned to it, and appear as if you were holding said object if you waved the cube in front of your goggles. The demo we did had a 3D human skull assigned to the cube, so it appeared as if you were holding a skull in your hand.

Anyway, felt pretty rough afterwards and decided I prefer actual reality.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels