The Division 2 [PC, PS4, XBone] - March 15th 2019

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The Division 2 [PC, PS4, XBone] - March 15th 2019

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Positive first impressions:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-division-2-review/

There's a signposted spoiler in the 5th paragraph for the main story campaign. It didn't bother me unduly, but be aware.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am

Man this game is so good. It's taken all the good stuff I liked from the original game and then added a load of new stuff on top. The highlight so far has been the world and level design. Washington DC feels a lot more alive than New York did what with the increase in enemy and friendly patrols and the wildlife. The environmental detail is spot on, as it was in the first game, and it is hard to think of another game that has so much detail in it. As for the missions they are a real step up from the first game with some great set dressing and moments. They are also really well designed and take advantage of the improved enemy AI which is a lot smarter and requires you to move around the level and it is whilst you are doing this that you appreciate how much attention was given to each combat area.

Other things to note are how much there is to do in the world, there are a wealth of things to do that are marked on the map, from random events to control points to story and side missions, but there is also just stuff to discover that isn't marked on the map, from loot to special enemies. You are really incentivised to go and explore the world.

Combat is better than before with enemies not as bullet spongy as they were in the Division and bullets having a real impact on enemies causing them to stagger and often stop shooting at you. There is a nice variety to the enemies you fight with each faction having similar types but they are used in different ways. For example, the charger type for the Hyenas is a melee person whilst the True Sons one is a shotgunner, this means you need to approach them in different ways. It combines to make combat really fun.

I've not thought a lot about it as I've just been enjoying playing the game, but if I compare this to Anthem from a few weeks back it's kind of embarrassing the difference in quality between the two. Massive have really built on and added to what the Division 1 was and created a really fun game. The only question left is what is the end-game like? I'm only level 18 so it will be a while before I get there but I'll be enjoying the journey.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 am

Thoughts on solo play, Dj?

Although being able to occasionally troll about with people on the forum would be fun, I feel the ability to mostly solo the content would be a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am

It's a tough game and you really need to be careful as the AI will murder you if you are not careful but it is doable and I've spent the majority of my time solo. It's a lot more fun in co-op and easier mostly but you wont lose out by playing it on your own. It's also really easy to join up with random people although I have heard that people are just motoring through missions without even pausing to loot properly. It sounds like Anthem has given people some bad habits, there was a lot of racing around in that game and there is nothing really to loot or look at in the environment, unlike in the Division 2.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:42 am

Cool, thanks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Sounds good, the first is the only shlooter Ive really liked since Hellgate and that was all down to it being a bit difficult and rewarding tactics over destiny's (and borderlands etc...) mind numbing run in circles till shit dies approach. Looking forward to this but Ive told myself I'm holding off AAA releases till the inevitable 30-60day price cut with free bugfixing patches.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 pm

I really like the amount of detail in the surroundings in the few videos of I've watched. Hats off to them for it :)

Just not a fan of how bullet spongy the enemies are.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:55 am

I was interested in this, then played the beta and my interest waned like a pin-holed balloon. I suspect I would enjoy it if I bought it, but have loads of other stuff that I am playing and enjoying at the moment (Warhammer Total War and Guild Wars 2) which I am enjoying plenty. May buy in a sale I reckon.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am
Man this game is so good. It's taken all the good stuff I liked from the original game and then added a load of new stuff on top. The highlight so far has been the world and level design. Washington DC feels a lot more alive than New York did what with the increase in enemy and friendly patrols and the wildlife. The environmental detail is spot on, as it was in the first game, and it is hard to think of another game that has so much detail in it. As for the missions they are a real step up from the first game with some great set dressing and moments. They are also really well designed and take advantage of the improved enemy AI which is a lot smarter and requires you to move around the level and it is whilst you are doing this that you appreciate how much attention was given to each combat area.

Other things to note are how much there is to do in the world, there are a wealth of things to do that are marked on the map, from random events to control points to story and side missions, but there is also just stuff to discover that isn't marked on the map, from loot to special enemies. You are really incentivised to go and explore the world.

Combat is better than before with enemies not as bullet spongy as they were in the Division and bullets having a real impact on enemies causing them to stagger and often stop shooting at you. There is a nice variety to the enemies you fight with each faction having similar types but they are used in different ways. For example, the charger type for the Hyenas is a melee person whilst the True Sons one is a shotgunner, this means you need to approach them in different ways. It combines to make combat really fun.

I've not thought a lot about it as I've just been enjoying playing the game, but if I compare this to Anthem from a few weeks back it's kind of embarrassing the difference in quality between the two. Massive have really built on and added to what the Division 1 was and created a really fun game. The only question left is what is the end-game like? I'm only level 18 so it will be a while before I get there but I'll be enjoying the journey.
with your permission DjchunKfunK I have passed your comments to my analyst contact at Ubisoft. It should make his day. Ubisoft sent me a key and I have downloaded it but not have booted it up. I will find time this week
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm
Sounds good, the first is the only shlooter Ive really liked

Is 'shlooter 'a word you've coined or is that in common usage regarding these types of games? If you've made it up kudos :)
-- To be completed at some point --

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm

It's in common usage.

Er sure I guess achtung...

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 pm

I blame Vinny.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:06 pm
It's in common usage.

Er sure I guess achtung...
they likes it and why shouldn't they
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4