Google Stadia

Steam, Deals & More.
Raid
Local

Google Stadia

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:36 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ng-console

This is, potentially, quite a big deal. Google, arguably the major internet services company, is getting into console-quality gaming. Their service is entirely based around streaming, and you would think that if any company can get this right, it'll be Google. Games will stream to your PC, to your phone or tablet, to a Chromecast, to basically anything that has native support for the Chrome browser. The only piece of hardware unveiled so far is the controller, but this isn't just a regular gamepad; it connects directly to the Internet itself (though it isn't what streams the content), and connecting it to a different device will allow you to move the play experience from exactly where you left off.

Obviously the same caveats apply to other similar services that have already been launched by the likes of Sony; it needs a good Internet connection, and you're going to see the gameplay break up if that connection is struggling. However, the fact that Doom Eternal, probably the most detailed and fast-paced shooter coming this year, is going to be one of the first titles available on the service does suggest that they have a lot of faith in their technology.

Wrathbone
Local

Re: Google Stadia

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Yeah, I saw the keynote speech. I'm intrigued and sceptical so far, but if it works as well as they claim, is reasonably priced, has a good catalogue of games and meets all the other criteria I can't think of right now, it could be really special. If anyone can make game streaming work as well as local gaming, it's Google. There are lots of questions that need answering first, though.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Exciting times on the line*.

* bonus points for getting the obscure movie reference ;)

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:40 am

I watched the whole event and thought it was a complete waste of time. It was classic tech company nonsense, talk about a load of stuff that everyone else does and claim it is revolutionary. There was no mention of price or even talk about what kind of connection you will need to get 4k visuals at 60fps. Oh and the pad looks like an Xbox One pad and a PS4 pad had sex and this was the result.

Just regarding price, the way they talked about game discovery and how developers makes it sound like a subscription service is not really on the cards so I will be interested to see how they plan to price things. PS Now launched with a pay-to-play system and was I think massively overpriced so I have my concerns.

I would like to see someone take a look at the data centre map that they showed as there are some massive gaps in their infrastructure in North America, not to mention large parts of the world that is not Europe or the US. Streaming not only depends on your internet connection but also the distance to the nearest data centre. I read a bit of the Digital Foundry piece and they talked about using a 200 Mbps connection which is far beyond anything people have, the average UK speed is 9.96 Mbps, and even that had a 166ms delay.

It's going to be hard to judge anything coming out of GDC because the connection will probably be the fastest possible and the data centre just round the corner.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:41 am

This is the problem - their server-side stuff can be as amazing as they want, but if the client's connection is not up to scratch then the entire thing fails. Router reliability/stability will play as much as a part as connection speed (I'm on an 80mb line but my shitty Plusnet hub will occasionally drop to snail speeds for a minute or two over 5G).

The 166ms lag I suspect isn't as bad as it sounds, as apparently an Xbox One X has 145ms lag. Again, so much of this depends on real-world tests, not to mention the business model, how the consumer pays for it (and how much), etc. If everything works like they suggest, it could be great for certain types of gaming. I can't see dedicated consoles and PC gaming disappearing anytime soon, though.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 am

I just see this if failing to be honest. This is what the 7th or so service trying it and each of them just fizzle out before the IP is bought up. Google doesn't exactly have a good track record for things outside its internet stuff. Google glasses , Plus and Buzz all pretty much have went out without anyone noticing it.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Not quite sure how bold it is to be the 5th company to majorly take on streaming but hey ho! That said, PSNow is excellent and google certainly have way more server farms so it can only be better.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm

You are the only person I know who has ever praised PSNow.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:23 pm

PS Now is very expensive for the very limited catalogue that it offers.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:41 am
…as apparently an Xbox One X has 145ms lag
I would love to see their testing methodology here, these figures seem simply unbelievable.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm curious about that figure too. I've just finished a season of F1 2018 on an Xbox One X without noticing any input lag, so either 145ms isn't as noticeable as it might seem or the figure is plain wrong.

Maybe it's the reason I struggle to get around Monaco without crashing at least once. ¬_¬

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:31 pm

On the PS4 Street Fighter 5 has 4-5 frames of lag which would be about 80ms for what that’s worth.

I believe Blazblue was a few frames less so 40-50ms? If the X is 3 times that I’d be surprised

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 pm

This is bloody amazing as a concept.

Of course we have to see if they can pull it off, but you lot are sometimes too bloody cynical!

Step 1 is assessing whether the technology can really meet consumer expectation, and they seem pretty confident at thinking that they can, and they probably have the resources to do it.

Next is consumer proposition and pricing. It won't be the best. If it's too low they risk opening up to performance issues. It may even be a staggered or referral invite, if Google follow precedent with previous behaviours.

But their ambitions to be in the US, Europe and more this year is definitely ambitious.

In truth... i'm a bit worried for steam - this could be a game changer if they can use their size to bully their way into these markets.

Definitely something to watch.
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 pm

it all boils down to price, content and latency

The "last mile" will be a huge factor in whether streaming will be a success. No matter how many teraflops they throw at it if Mr. BT cannot deliver those teraflops down my copper cable that runs into my house than we are not ready for this kind of technology. I heard those with around 25Mbs (which is the bulk of us) will get at best 720p experience. Hardly 4K.

As for 4G, that is a laugh. I cannot even stream YouTube on a train. 4G has more blackholes than the galaxy.

Price. Given I already subscribe to Sky, Netflix, Readly, Amazon Prime, Office 365, Spotify and EA Origin, price & content will be everything. If its reasonable like £7 or £8 a month than I am in, anything north of £10, I am out.

Sony tried streaming with PS Now and it was not such a success that they brought in downloads (akin to GamePass) to better the experience. The lack of any news on subscriber numbers from Sony says it all really.

I think streaming is a great idea but given that the UK market is still 70% physical, consumers still want to own games (that they can see, feel and sell). Even in the US which is more prevalent to digital downloads, full game downloads has not yet reached 50%.

Lets wait and see what Google do with it, but don't be surprised that if they cannot make money on it within its first 3 years they will drop as fast an anchor.

If I were a 3rd party publisher I would want a revenue guarantee from Google before I allow my game to stream. Google can afford it, so it will be up to publishers if they want to support it.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:43 pm

It’s 5G they’re targeting which is still a ways off from being standard. Hell I can’t even get 4G when I’m at my parents house.