News holiday

Exciting adventures IRL.
Achtung Englander

News holiday

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 pm

I think I am on the verge of giving news a break for a month. I am serious. Nothing in the news is even remotely good and it is beginning to take its toll on me. I think I am suffering from slight depression from reading and watching this shit.

I think I need to get out more. I am so envious of idiots who know nothing and live in absolute bliss of ignorance like the morons on Love Island.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rossell

Re: News holiday

Post by Rossell » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 am

Oh God almighty, its good to know it's not just me suffering.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 am

I know what you mean. I am a member of my town's local group on Facebook, and am so sick of the outright rudeness verging on aggression of the pro-Leave camp I have decided to leave it. My little town is a nice place, I prefer to live in ignorance of this nasty little clique.

I would like to go without watching the news too, but would feel I was embracing ignorance (even though I agree with your sentiments) and suspect my brain would rebel :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 am

Snowy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 am
I would like to go without watching the news too, but would feel I was embracing ignorance (even though I agree with your sentiments) and suspect my brain would rebel :)
That's kind of where I am. I'd like to go maybe a month in the dark and then see what's on the other side, but I know that I wouldn't get through a day without anxious curiosity getting the better of me.

The best I've managed is a few years ago on holiday for a fortnight with no internet access, which after the initial shock of remembering what the early 90s were like, was liberating. Living in a bubble is increasingly tempting.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 am

I never watch the news, or go out of my way to discover what's going on. Big stories will find me through various mediums, so I still end up knowing the biggest shitshows anyway, but at least I don't have to sit through story after story of utterly depressing shite.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

I pretty much tuned out for the past three years, but now I regret it as I have no idea what's going on.

Case in point: I didn't even know the 2016 referendum wasn't legally binding until last week.

Now I'm having a reaction against the "holiday" and I'm desperate to try and catch up and stay on the cutting edge.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Seeing the news is just an unfortunate side effect of getting to the football pages for me.

It's best ignored as it has quite the destructive impact on your mental health.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:23 pm

It's still going to happen, while you avoid following it. You'll make yourself sick finally coming back.

I went to Berlin once and was cut off from the English-speaking world for a week. When I got back, the first thing I saw at Heathrow was that John Mills had died.

Bad news'll wait for yer.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:12 pm

I am kind of the opposite at the moment, all the Brexit stuff going mental recently has made me much more interested/less tired of it. When it definitely starts going a 'bad' way, however...

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:20 pm

I've always stayed on top of the political news because I studied it at uni and have always been interested. Most other news I kind of just skim through headlines and read the odd article that strikes my interest. I never sit and watch the news on TV.

The current political climate is kind of like driving slowly past a massive car crash. It's gruesome and everyone is fucked but I can't help but just watch with even more interest than usual.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:27 am

Stormbringer wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm
Now I'm having a reaction against the "holiday" and I'm desperate to try and catch up and stay on the cutting edge.
I've changed my mind. I've now totally lost interest in everything.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:33 am

Yay! Another member for the Blackout Brigade. :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm

I'm not exactly ignoring the news, frankly it feels a little irresponsible to do so at present. I'm trying not to dig any deeper than the actual headlines however, as doing so tends to just make me angry.