The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Achtung Englander

Re: The elephant in the room - Brexit

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:53 pm

The next election will most likely be another hung parliament thanks to a resurgent UKIP or whatever Nigel Farage called his new party and than we might get a Corbyn Govt as a minority govt until 2024 than we will have a Tory landslide after 4 years of Corbyn.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 am

May to meet with Corbyn, further to the right Tory MPs completely going ballistic at the prospect, train lines having obstructions thrown on them with Pro Brexit slogans on, Farage threatening to 'fight' Westminster if a soft Brexit agenda is pushed.

We are watching the slow disintegration of the country and it is gradually picking up steam.

I walked past a bus stop at the weekend with a small group of people having a full blown row about Brexit. It was weird to see.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:52 am

Was in the pub with a friend last week and we were quietly and calmly discussing the latest Brexit developments, and a woman on the next table turned round and told us off for having the temerity to talk about Brexit. We promptly ignored her.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:17 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:52 am
Was in the pub with a friend last week and we were quietly and calmly discussing the latest Brexit developments, and a woman on the next table turned round and told us off for having the temerity to talk about Brexit. We promptly ignored her.
what ? :shock:

You should have moved on merits of lesbians and the best fucks you had

Brexit has destroyed the fragile relationship between voter and politician. What we are seeing is very dangerous to the fabric of democracy. I am for a soft Brexit but I wholly appreciate hard liners who voted for Brexit (which was a simple in/out poll) to be then denied their opinion.

The problem is that right from the start it should have been emphasized the referendum was an advisory one only. This is beyond tragic now. This is embarrassing and harmful. Even the police are warning MPs not think about what they are doing as the police have to clean up the mess on the angry streets.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:01 am

Things are happening with such frequency now my head is spinning and with every new development I'm unclear as to how despondent or hopeful I should be.

Could someone more in the know sum up where we are right now? The bill they passed last night is somewhat encouraging, no?

What I really want to know is how fucked we are on a scale from 1-Trump.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:03 am

They did say it was advisory only, didn't they? Problem is that people don't listen.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:48 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:01 am
Could someone more in the know sum up where we are right now?
I'm really not in the know, but my understanding of the situation is this:

1) May asks the EU for another deadline extension.
2) The EU headteacher writes to May's parents expressing disappointment in her lack of progression.
3) Heat death of the universe.
4) May suggests she has another Brexit plan.

I've given up trying to understand it in any more detail because we seem to be stuck in a loop of harrumphing, voting on the same plan over and over again and then asking for an extension when nobody agrees.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 pm

:lol:

Yeah, it's pretty bewildering at present.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:18 pm

The bill that passed in the Common's last night is just one which, if it passes the Lords, will force Theresa May to ask for another extension. It doesn't specify how long that extension has to be, and obviously the EU don't have to grant it. It's basically there to stop May from just waiting until Brexit happens by default.

It's progressing through the Lords pretty swiftly, but ultimately it doesn't help in actually finding an end to this clusterfuck, beyond delaying it past next Friday.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:41 pm

The EU seem to be pretty clear that they don't want to offer another extension without a significant change in British politics, namely announcing another referendum or a general election. Can't say I blame them, but I appreciate the irony in the EU (the tyrannical bureaucracy many Brexiteers want to be rid of) trying to save the British public from a government that doesn't have their best interests at heart.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:48 pm

The EU have said the May deal is the only one on the table (in regards to actual separation. People are trying to throw in the trade agreement with the separation but that can come after). So we are in a situation that May cannot get the deal passed and it is beginning to looks like a hard Brexit (namely on Day 1 - no free trade thus creating a huge unknown regards enforcement of tariffs and a border with the Rep. Ireland), which she does not want, Labour do not want and even the EU does not want.

This is fucking stupid.

The biggest lesson I am coming away with is that the politicians are only in it for their party or their own set beliefs and fuck the country.

Nigel Farage and Gina Millar must be so proud.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:48 pm
The biggest lesson I am coming away with is that the politicians are only in it for their party or their own set beliefs and fuck the country.
Yeah, likewise. It's just so disillusioning. I don't recall there ever being much love for politicians in general, but the last three or four years have shown just how truly self-centered many of them are.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:22 am

Rumour is that the EU may allow a year long extension. So what we have here is a situation where everone blinks !.

Red lines broken. Leave date of 29 March that was May's mantra became meaningless. The staunch EU deadlines are now "flexible" and negotiations are finally happening.

2 wasted years. Unnecessary stress and the professional elite look like fucking school children. These are the dickheads who are running the country.

......and the liberal left wonder why Trump is in power if this is the best we have.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Apparently the negotiations between May and Corbyn are on the verge of breaking down because May wants to know where Labour will compromise whilst completely refusing to change any of the Government deal herself.

She really is the most inept PM we've ever had isn't she. If the EU refuse to grant a further extension because it's not clear at all what May's plan is then we are only a week away from total disaster.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:20 pm

I just don't know what to say anymore.

The country's future is now a pawn for the country's present, which is a replay of the past. :lol:

Strap in.