Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Animalmother » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 pm

So its finally out at last. Just watched the first episode and it was pretty good, lots of meaningful staring.

Most of the main characters got a few lines in and a bit of screen time.
Last edited by Animalmother on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Achtung Englander

Re: Game of Thrones S8

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm

seeing it tonight at 9pm - I suspect with most of the other Sky Atlantic viewers
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:35 pm

I didn't realise Sky had exclusive rights to stream it in the UK. I somehow imagined it would be available on Amazon Prime.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Enjoyed it, though the casual stage-setting pace surprised me given that there are only a few hours left to finish the story.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Yeah, I was a bit shocked to find that we were only getting six episodes to finish the series off. That really does not feel like enough time, hell, twelve would feel a little truncated. I've been saying for the last year that I'm expecting this series isn't going to have a truly satisfying conclusion; it's gotten so big that I'm not sure there *is* a satisfying conclusion.

Regardless, the first episode was a good one, with screentime for almost every significant character.
Spoiler
I'm glad they got the big secret revealed to Jon early on. I get the feeling that Sansa's going to be the one to spill it to Dany though; Jon's too much of a pragmatist to worry about such things before the main objective is done with. I suppose Dany isn't going to believe it anyway; perhaps there'll be an entertaining scene with Dany telling Jon that it's treason, and then getting her dragons to burn him leaving him standing naked but unharmed, revealing the truth.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 pm

I must say I'm disappointed that we are only getting 300 minutes of a final series, I was under the impression we were getting six feature length films, but hey ho....Was a fairly pedestrian meet-up and love-in episode really.....I'm sure the pace will accelerate muchly.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 pm

It does seem like a very short season given how much material there could potentially be with the white walkers. 7 seasons of building up hype to polish them off in a couple of episodes and then have the finale climax down in King's Landing against Cersei? I do hope not. There is so much they could do by having this season really explore the war against the undead whilst different sides contemplate when to stab each other in the back.

I assume it's because they are so far ahead of the books that they just want to rush through the highlights of the finale as quickly as possible. They don't need to invest so heavily into the story now that everybody is invested, it seems that every character has been relegated to minor plot wrap ups now whilst all the emphasis is on Jon and Dany. Even the white walkers attacking a keep south of the wall is kind of glossed over when really you'd think it would have much more significance.

Okay enough first episode though, just about managed to fit in all the long standing characters without feeling too forced. I feel like the humour is way off the mark a lot of the time now too, it seems so Disney-esque at times.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 am

I don't mind a short season. There is something to be said for succinct story writing as opposed to padding. We know these characters, we should do after 70 hours, so getting to the big finale should not be drawn out. Lets just find out who dies and who survives and who wins. Besides almost everyone is at Winterfell with old rivalries put to bed or...they are just dead, so what is there to say....

This franchise will not end here anyway as prequel(s) are already green lit

eny

Post by eny » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:18 am

The other thing to remember is that this is the second half of season 7 anyway.... So we maybe expecting too much with wanting anything more.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 am

I care so little about the deluge of prequels and spin offs that have been rumoured. The series dipped in quality so much by the time it was a season or two ahead of the books, I don't have much faith in any studio being able to make a good adaptation of the limited material in the compendium books.

Any further extension of the franchise across new shows is nothing more than milking the cash cow and I have zero taste for it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 am
I care so little about the deluge of prequels and spin offs that have been rumoured. The series dipped in quality so much by the time it was a season or two ahead of the books, I don't have much faith in any studio being able to make a good adaptation of the limited material in the compendium books.

Any further extension of the franchise across new shows is nothing more than milking the cash cow and I have zero taste for it.
This.

The last season made me look on GoT with a similar ¬_¬ to The Walking Dead. Awful 'save the pretty bloke' saves from certain death (the hyperspace crow fetching Daenerys riding the Millenium Drogon for example) just had my head in my hands. Once they ran out of subject matter the series went downhill faster than Drogon can fly...

GRRM seems to have no interest in finishing it either, I mean ADWD came out in 2011 ffs, and is instead focusing on releasing dismal pap like Fire & Blood (a history book about the Targaryens completely devoid of anything vaguely interesting).

Last night? 45 mins of staring, dragon-riding love-ins and not a lot really. Jon Snorrrr's lack of reaction when told of his lineage was hilarious, not even a whisper of "Oh shit I fucked my sister", maybe the Lannisters aren't so unique...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Jon Snorrrr's lack of reaction when told of his lineage was hilarious, not even a whisper of "Oh shit I fucked my sister"
Well, no, because Dany's his Aunt. Which makes it fine. Yes. In fairness, I think shock is a perfectly understandable reaction to that sort of news.

Yeah, some of the deus ex machina in the series lately have been a bit galling, but then there is an actual god working behind the scenes on Jon's life given his resurrection, so perhaps they're to be expected.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 am

Snowy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Mantis wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 am

This.

The last season made me look on GoT with a similar ¬_¬ to The Walking Dead. Awful 'save the pretty bloke' saves from certain death (the hyperspace crow fetching Daenerys riding the Millenium Drogon for example) just had my head in my hands. Once they ran out of subject matter the series went downhill faster than Drogon can fly...

GRRM seems to have no interest in finishing it either, I mean ADWD came out in 2011 ffs, and is instead focusing on releasing dismal pap like Fire & Blood (a history book about the Targaryens completely devoid of anything vaguely interesting).

Last night? 45 mins of staring, dragon-riding love-ins and not a lot really. Jon Snorrrr's lack of reaction when told of his lineage was hilarious, not even a whisper of "Oh shit I fucked my sister", maybe the Lannisters aren't so unique...
er.......stop watching it ? :lol:

I have given up on countless shows when I found its not my cup of tea. Billions, Veep, Parks & Recs, The Walking Dead

Life too short to spend time on things you don't like when we are drowning in choice

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:25 am

Whoa whoa whoa. Parks & Rec S1 (and part of S2) aren't great, but I'm glad I stuck at it thanks to a friend's recommendation.

That said, I like the other shows made by the same team (Brooklyn 99, The Good Place), so if you don't like either of those, perhaps it's just not your thing.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 pm

I got up to season 5. It was mostly the same jokes. I might finish it off but I am glad I moved to on to other comedies. I love Fleabag and Catastrophe. Parks & Recs is always there on Prime or Netflix. I also need to back into Last Man On Earth and Bojack. As I said too much to see and I like to scramble up my viewing by seeing completely different from time to time. It keeps the comedy of long standing shows fresh