Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Hatredsheart

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 pm

Drarok wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm
That "article" is garbage.
Yup. By their standard all medieval/fantasy type films should seemingly be candlelit or look as if they were filmed as if modern cinema technology didn't exist to preserve the accuracy /integrity of the subject. What utter tosh.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 pm

Come on now, admit it, if the battlefield between dragons and an undead horde was reasonably lit then we’d all be up in arms about the unrealistic use of candles.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 pm

I really liked the way most of the episode was shot. It was in the middle of the night against an army of undead whose primary purpose is to bring around 'the long night' and in the middle of a huge magical ice storm, it's going to be dark. An army of the dead is more scary when you only get glimpses of them tearing people apart. The scene where the Dothraki charge into the darkness and you see the flames on their swords illuminate the undead giant right as they crash into them was a brilliant moment.

Cinematically this episode was solid. In terms of storytelling and writing it was just awful.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Spoiler
:lol:

To be fair the criticism is warranted. The lights going out on the Dothraki charge was pretty amazing even if it made zero sense strategically.

GOT has experienced the Walking Dead syndrome. Where once characters were offed and added to the ill ease that "no one is safe", it seems now that everyone is safe. :lol:

I would not say it was a disappointment, bar the 30 minutes of not actually seeing anything, but when no one of major importance dies in the mother of all battles, it then begs the question - are they taking the piss.

The moonlight dragon flying was gorgeous and the dragon fight was awesome. The battle scenes, when you finally get to see them, were brilliant. It is just a shame everyone, who counted, made it through. Poor Theon.

Let me put this way it makes re-watching the entire TV show less palatable.
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:52 pm

I feel like Brienne vs Stannis was where the series jumped the shark and landed in a whirlpool of tropes.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Mantis wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 pm
I really liked the way most of the episode was shot. It was in the middle of the night against an army of undead whose primary purpose is to bring around 'the long night' and in the middle of a huge magical ice storm, it's going to be dark. An army of the dead is more scary when you only get glimpses of them tearing people apart. The scene where the Dothraki charge into the darkness and you see the flames on their swords illuminate the undead giant right as they crash into them was a brilliant moment.

Cinematically this episode was solid. In terms of storytelling and writing it was just awful.
The darkness is thematically appropriate, sure, but when half the episode is barely visible then it's less cinematic and more cataractic.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 pm

I didn't encounter the same issues, but then I watched it on a decent monitor and relatively up close at my PC desk.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 pm

I watched it on an iPad pro in a dark room about 30cm from my face. You couldn't really ask for better conditions. I guess it could be the NowTV encoding but it seemed fine.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:44 pm

:?

Angry Joe is really pissed

Yeah.....never mind.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:47 am

Did everyone miss that the episode was also an hour and a half long (so basically a double episode).

I even downloaded it twice to see if it was the encoding it was that bad. Tried it on my 4k TV (which is my second monitor) and my ultrawide monitor.
Awful.

I actually got bored abot half way through. Bored!
Last minute saves everywhere. Tactically the worst battle ever. Several thousand troops are supposed to retreat enmasse over that little footbridge? No-one set to light the moat? Maybe magic fire was the only way but they didn't know that.

All the important people in the crypt with no guards or weapons?

Gah. Next week better be a belter.
-- To be completed at some point --

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

Rusty wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:47 am
Gah. Next week better be a belter.
Nah, we're done here. Disney villain Cersei and Cleganebowl plus a possible evil Dany turn are going to be dragged out over three weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 am

Did everyone miss that the episode was also an hour and a half long (so basically a double episode).
No, the fact was widely publicised beforehand.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 am

No-one set to light the moat? Maybe magic fire was the only way but they didn't know that.
No, they were signalling to Dany to light it as per the plan, but the sudden ice storm meant she couldn't see the signals. Then, the archers tried but the ice storm was blowing out their flaming arrows.
Aye, they couldn't have foreshadowed that any fucking harder, eh? They must have said at least 4 times last episode stuff like "you'll all be safer in the crypt! wink wink!!!"
Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 am

Drarok wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 am
Aye, they couldn't have foreshadowed that any fucking harder, eh? They must have said at least 4 times last episode stuff like "you'll all be safer in the crypt! wink wink!!!"
Tyrion: I should go up top to solve everything with my gigantic brain.

<stays in crypt full of dead people while attacked by enemy who raises the dead>

The level of character stupidity in this episode was extraordinary.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 am

So is it full obvious from now on? Jamie fights Cersei(dies to mountain and Brienne gets the kill, bangs Tormund), Sam dies saving someone to redeem himself, Hound fights Mountain, Yara fights uncle sexy, uhm... who else still has major beef that needs wrapped up in a little bow?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.