Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:13 am

I'm holding out a shred of hope that the undead threat still has a part to play, most likely via Bran. But yeah, otherwise I can't see many obvious resolutions being subverted. As much as I still enjoy the show, it's gone full-on panto now.

If that really was the end of the undead arc and Bran's story, I'm bewildered. We have no real idea what the consequence would have been had the Night King achieved his goal with Bran, aside from "probably bad", which makes the greatest threat facing the world and the crux of the entire story nothing more than a macguffin. The only way I see it being resolved satisfactorily now is if there's more to it than just killing the Night King, or if Bran has his own agenda which is not in everyone's immediate interests. Or maybe if Bran explains what would have happened, but why they'd do that after the fact makes no sense.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:48 am

Agree about the darkness, I get that it made the fire look cool but made the rest of the 79 minutes hard to parse, the camera cuts didn't help either. Also agree that they bottled some of the deaths but hopefully this is so they can die later.

Thought the whole episode was full of dumb moments from the Dothraki charge to the stealth scene where Arya has suddenly turned into a scared little girl to Denyrs staying on the ground and allowing her dragon to be overwhelmed when she didn't need to.

Feels a bit icky that the Dothraki and Unsullied sacrificed their lives so the 'whites' could survive.

One point on the combat, impressive that they used actual extras rather than a bunch of CGI, shame it was too dark to see it.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am

Oh yeah, the jump cuts were way too quick to see what was going on half the time, though that might have been compounded by the darkness.

Rule number one of having a battle dragon: don't fucking land amongst all the fucking enemies!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 am

Raid wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:47 am
Did everyone miss that the episode was also an hour and a half long (so basically a double episode).
No, the fact was widely publicised beforehand.
It was more than at least 2 people in here mentioned they thought it should be longer/2 episodes.
-- To be completed at some point --

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Bran's the next Night King maybe?

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:42 pm

I don't think I have much to add other than to concur that the plot and character choices were bananas. About 15 minutes in I thought they had done a fantastic job of building the atmosphere of the episode and I was fully engrossed, but over the next hour it just completely dissipated. I thought the acting was great, the direction was great, but the story was just shit. So many ridiculous things happened.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:43 pm

They have 3 episodes to wrap up the whole saga. No way they're bringing the undead back again now. That's got to be the (very unsatisfying) end to seven fucking seasons of build up for the Night King arc.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:32 pm

Well it started badly and ended worse.

Having read the books (and whoever asked about GRRM, with nothing written since the last book in 2011 it is safe to say he is skiing down mountains of cocaine into soft pillowy hookers, living the Tyrion dream), virtually everything Dany did was to let her get the Dothraki and Unsullied to Westeros. When I saw the cavalry at the front, with the infantry stood behind the siege engines, I facepalmed for the first of many times. Then the charge of the light brigade in pitch darkness to certain death - everything Dany went through to get them there for one idiotic charge? Really? Go fuck yourself quite frankly.

A few vaguely interesting characters snuffed it but not enough and none that I really cared about. It was all just arse and I expect it to continue to be arse until the final credits roll.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:46 pm

Yeah, the suicidal charge of the Dothraki seemed completely out of character for Dany. It looked very cool seeing them advance with their flaming swords, but that was it. It's as if the first five seasons didn't happen, and Dany considered her Khalasar expendable. I also thought it a little odd that the Dothraki were so calm about their swords suddenly catching fire; they didn't seem very keen on magic given the end of season one (granted, in season one it was blood magic; maybe they see them as different). I just can't see Jon suggesting a cavalry charge to start the engagement off; he's seen how the Dead fight, and the idea of a cavalry charge is to break a line, something the Dead don't seem to be terribly interested in. It feels like it was planned just as any field engagement between Westerosi armies would have been, and almost all of the people in charge should have known better.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu May 02, 2019 2:54 pm

The biggest issue I have with it is that this confrontation has been hyped up since the first scene of the first episode in season one and now it's all over with no explanation or real thought put into it. GRRM has always said that the political bickering and scheming between all the houses was always secondary to the fact that a huge world ending force was bearing down on them, the book series is literally named after the character who is supposedly meant to be the great hero who will prevent the long night. Instead we get Arya, who has almost no connection to the Others plot at all, pulling an Anakin Skywalker and destroying the mothership so that all the droids stop working. Cersei being the big super villain to round off the series is just stupid.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu May 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Made me laugh, amazing just how angry some people get.
He's not wrong mind ..... :D
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu May 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Well, he definitely wasn't wrong was he. That was a terrible episode when it's laid out like that.

Also, some very creative use of swearing there :lol: :lol:

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 pm

What an awesome video. He pointed out some stuff I'd forgotten.
-- To be completed at some point --

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu May 02, 2019 10:11 pm

:lol:

Bang on, that video.

This one is less funny and less angry, but does a good job of detailing the tactical insanity of the battle from the viewpoint of a medieval warfare expert, along with explaining what they should have done:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon May 06, 2019 2:50 am

That was good, low on action but some solid story and machiavellian shit stirring.

As a side note, don't line several of your main characters in range of giant crossbows that could turn them into mulch. I know it's a TV show but fuck me it's really dumb for no reason at times.