Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 am

In a show full of incredibly dumb moments that scene at sea tops them all.
Spoiler
Not only does the fleet pop into existence out of nowhere but they managed to shoot round corners. They also don't bother to press the advantage after ripping Denyr's fleet to shreds, they just bother with capturing one person.

Also what was it with Bronn suddenly turning into a complete arse? I know he has always been out for himself but that scene felt right out of character.
If it wasn't for my wife I would be quite prepared to read a plot summary for the last two episodes. This season has just been dire.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 07, 2019 11:16 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 am
Spoiler
Also what was it with Bronn suddenly turning into a complete arse? I know he has always been out for himself but that scene felt right out of character.
For all the problems with the episode, I didn't mind the Bronn scene that much. It makes sense that he's pissed off with Jaime because he's a Lannister that certainly hasn't paid his debts with Bronn. Tyrion makes less sense because as far as I remember he did give Bronn everything he promised and they parted as friends. I guess ultimately Bronn is a cold-hearted mercenary who follows the money, so the scene seemed mostly in-character to me.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am

Spoiler
1. Three aimbot-assisted, perfect shots on a dragon that should have been able to see the fleet, and was flying way up high.
2. Can't hit a different dragon that is much lower and COMING RIGHT FOR US!
I read a suggestion on Reddit that made way more sense than what we actually got:
Spoiler
Dany spots the fleet from the air because she's on a fucking dragon, and is all "you guys are fucked, lol", flies down on Drogon with Rhaegal following behind. The fleet have their weapons under wraps. As she approaches to burninate the whole god damn lot of them, they whip the covers off their ballistae, her eyes go wide and she pulls out of the dive. Rhaegal, being slightly injured (thanks Jon) is too slow to follow and gets monster-fucked by a barrage of arrows.
Same outcome, without the stupid plot invisibility cloaks or inconsistent aiming ability.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 pm

It was the fact that the ballistae then proceeded to tear the entire fleet to shreds that made me eye roll to the extreme. Those arrows were more powerful than damn cannon balls and seemed to be able to rapid fire. It was like watching a scene out of Pirates of the Carribbean.

eny

Post by eny » Tue May 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Y'know..... It would take half an hour to get enough energy wound back into them ready to fire again ffs.... Also no elevation past 45° really....
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 pm

I also imagine that firing one from a ship would be wildly inaccurate due to the movement of the water.

I can accept some level of artistic licence with that sort of thing, but they abused it to the point where they may as well have had AEGIS missile launchers on the ships. Even then, the bigger problem is still the inexplicably lazy way in which Dany is attacked without noticing the fleet. The suggestion Drarok posted would have been mostly fine and required zero changes to the rest of the episode.

It's the same laziness with Arya and the Night King. The showrunners outright said afterwards that they decided to go with Arya instead of Jon simply because everyone expected Jon. No shit! The entire story has been building up Jon for that moment, and to subvert that expectation for no reason other than surprise value is the laziest of lazy storytelling. If they'd had Jon fight the Night King and lose (dead or alive), and THEN had Arya come and do the deed, that alone would have been more satisfying, particularly as Arya has a strong relationship with Jon. I mean, it's still a shit idea, but that was off the top of my head as a response to what we actually got. They've had years to come up with something better. I'm a self-confessed GoT fanboy, but even to me it's inexcusably bad.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm

There was an interesting post on Reddit pretty much outlining all of this and how unexpected events in the plot need to be built around some concept of cause and effect, like the earlier seasons were when they were based on the books. Everything leading up to Ned's death telegraphs big time that he's in trouble, but still his death is a shock. Likewise with the Red Wedding, that build up is subtle enough that even scenes focusing on Tywin writing a letter contribute to the sense that something is being plotted.

The show has totally abandoned all of that since it went ahead of the books and now anything that is building up for a large event is so painfully on the nose that it's ruined all the suspense, like Dany's inevitable Mad Queen turn with Sansa hating her for absolutely no reason and now Varys randomly deciding that she shouldn't be queen anymore. The whole thing is so bad it almost feels like a Monty Python parody; "Not a witch? Well burn her anyway!" If it's not shit like that then it's just totally random shocking moments happening out of nowhere, like Rhaegal randomly getting shot by heat seeking arrows. It's just awful writing and shows how little D&D really understand how to tell a good story.

They wanted to do this show because they wanted to put the Red Wedding on TV, obviously they just love the shock factor it has. But they just don't understand any of the nuance behind that. The show is nothing more than false suspense and tension mixed in with cock jokes, memes and fan service now. Fuck them for ruining it.

Expectations subverted.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 07, 2019 2:21 pm

I watched a video that ended with some quotes from an interview with Maisie Williams…
Spoiler
“It was so unbelievably exciting,” she says. “But I immediately thought that everybody would hate it; that Arya doesn’t deserve it. The hardest thing is in any series is when you build up a villain that’s so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. It has to be intelligently done because otherwise people are like, ‘Well, [the villain] couldn’t have been that bad when some 100-pound girl comes in and stabs him.’ You gotta make it cool. And then I told my boyfriend and he was like, ‘Mmm, should be Jon though really, shouldn’t it?’”
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 07, 2019 4:09 pm

I think I may have seen the same video and yeah, she nails it. You can totally understand why she got so excited about it; it must be great fun for an actor to have a role like that, even if you also know it hasn't really been earned.

I'm just glad it's almost all over. What might have been a show that was talked about for years will now quickly fade into obscurity. Even just one or two years from now when people say "Oh I never watched Game of Thrones; maybe I should get round to it now it's all over?" the response will be "Not worth it.".

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 07, 2019 4:32 pm

I think it will be a cultural phenomenon for a while yet.

This is the level it is aimed at, people whooping like it's some sort of huge spectator sport.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Best thing about that video was the 8-bit GoT theme tune!

What in all fuck are those people doing?!
Raid wrote:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 pm

That’s the sort of video that reminds you that ‘fan’ is derived from fanatical. Funny how they celebrated more than the characters on the show.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 07, 2019 7:01 pm

Oh god, Emilia Clarke's response there kills any remaining hope. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue May 07, 2019 7:36 pm

I wouldn't read too much into that; actors these days are under a lot of pressure to make sure they don't accidentally give anything away, so these sorts of reactions are just their squirming away from the question, because they know everyone on the internet will read too much into whatever expression they make. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I've been saying that the finale will be disappointing for months, because the show has gotten to be so big that there just isn't an ending that will please everyone. The fact that they've had to cram two full seasons worth of content into a measly 6 episodes was always going to give the result we're now getting.