Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Strudel

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Strudel » Mon May 20, 2019 9:29 am

I heard yesterday some of the leaks about how it was going to end, and I had that depressing feeling of "Yeah, that sounds really shit... so I can believe it'll happen" and it did.
Spoiler
Bran "Knows all; tells nothing" the Broken was a shit pick for King. Did no one think to ask him if he knew what Dany was going to do and thus couldn't he have done something to stop the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent people?

Everyone seems pretty happy with one Kingdom remaining a Kingdom whilst the rest are all now ruled by elected Wikipedia Bot.

WHY IS THERE ARE FUCKING WATCH!?
Just, urgh. So much shit.

As always, it was beautifully filmed - the set design, the acting, the cinematography was amazing. It's just the writing that makes it all utterly worthless in the end.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 am

Spoiler
I don't think Bran can see the future, just the past, which would explain why he didn't warn everyone about Dany. Bran being made king is for me one of the least stupid things they've done this season.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am

Spoiler
Do you think any of them are aware that this new elective kingship that they've come up with is kind of irrelevant given that the last three eyed raven was over 150 years old and only died because Bran messed up and let the Night King get to him?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 am

Spoiler
It's a fair point, but why would the Three-Eyed Raven give a shit about ruling Westeros? I assume this is where the books will have a much more engaging explanation, most likely bringing in the Blackfyre Rebellions and the fact that Brynden Rivers was the Raven before Bran.

Another thing that the show simply forgot about or decided to ignore was how the white walkers arranged bodies artistically. This isn't a book thing, either - it's a trait of the walkers that the show invented. So... what was the point of it? It amounted to nothing. FFS.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Spoiler
Bran was so disinterested in the world that he didn't even warn anyone Genocide Danny. Fat lot of good he'll do on the thrown. Good thing he's got a Hand to basically do all the work for him.

So basically he's QE2.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Spoiler
But if he can't see the future then how could he know she'd flip and go genocidal? Of all the problems this season, I don't see that as being one.

EDIT - Actually there are things to suggest he can see SOME of the future, or at least possible futures. My take on it is that he can see many possible futures, like Dr Strange, but none of them are set in stone. He mentions how he knew he was going to be crowned, which is why he came south, so maybe that was a clear likelihood whereas Dany burning everyone was far from certain. Or maybe he didn't see that before it happened. Or maybe he did see it and, like you say, he didn't care.

I like the idea making the rounds that the Three Eyed Raven orchestrated the entire thing - all except for the motive. The problem with motive is that we don't know what the Three Eyed Raven really is or what it wants. Maybe it's an old god, maybe it's the collective consciousness of the weirwood network or the Children of the Forest. Maybe Brynden Rivers was the first Three Eyed Raven. With only speculation to go on, it would be funny if we skipped forward 10 years (as Tyrion suggests that's when he should be judged on his decision) and found the weirwoods had sprouted everywhere and the Children had booted the humans out of Westeros, having played the truly long game.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Thank fuck it is all spoilered as haven't watched it yet. Just dropped by to say, this is fucking awesome...

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon May 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:34 pm
Thank fuck it is all spoilered as haven't watched it yet. Just dropped by to say, this is fucking awesome...

That was amazing, just got better as they moved along the line :P

My thoughts..
Spoiler
Fuck it, that was much better than what I expected after the past few clusterfucks we got. I'm actually happy enough with that ending. Very much left itself open to another series if they ever decided to make one. So that's 8 years of a tv show now over, despite all the negatively of this season I'm actually gutted it's finally over :(

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Spoiler
Watched it.

Sorry it is finished, disappointed with how they played to fast and loose with one of the (until S5) best dramatisations that has ever been done on TV.

Wondering if GRRM will write the final two in the series before the reaper calls, or just backflip off a towering wad of used notes onto a mountain of cocaine and ski into the cleavage of a bevy of hookers until he pops his clogs.

Meh.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm

It’s rare I reminisce positively about Dexter becoming a lumberjack.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm
It’s rare I reminisce positively about Dexter becoming a lumberjack.
Haha I was so close to writing this: "If you took the final Sopranos episode and multiplied it by The Wire's invented serial killer and the ending of Dexter, the result would stink less of shit".

Great minds my friend :)
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon May 20, 2019 6:46 pm

I've watched the whole episode now and can pretty confidently say that was utter shit.
Spoiler
Even Dany's death was a huge anticlimax. A tiny speech and stab, done. Drogon deciding to melt the throne in dragon angst before flying away with her body was stupid too. And how do the Unsullied even know what the Night's Watch is? Why are they happy for Jon to toddle off in exchange for not just murdering everyone? Realistically you'd think the Dothraki and Unsullied would have butchered Jon immediately for what he did, but nope, I guess the Dothraki are just not bothered, back on the ship home boys.

And don't even get me started on everything after Dany's death. It was like a buddy comedy parody of itself by that point. The whole council thing. Urgh, it was beyond awful. I hope that most of this was cooked up by D&D because the writing was totally nonsense.

9 years of watching this for that total catastrophe of a season. I'm relieved it's over.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon May 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Spoiler
How did they even know Danny was dead? Unless John decides to confess which he probably did because he’s turned into a useless shit
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon May 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:53 pm
Spoiler
How did they even know Danny was dead? Unless John decides to confess which he probably did because he’s turned into a useless shit
Nah, he's always been a useless shit.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon May 20, 2019 7:20 pm