Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Strudel

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Strudel » Mon May 20, 2019 8:07 pm

The good thing about Season 8 was the soundtrack. Ramin Djawadi is a fantastic composer, and although I didn't think The Night King fit the scene in episode 3, independent of the scene I think it's a great piece of music. I can only surmise that they must have edited the scene very late on, without time to change the music because the pacing of the scene and the music are totally different.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Felt ok as I watched it, aside from the obvious dumb stuff ("hang on, weren't Jaime and Cersei buried under a metric shit-ton of rock rather than a few half-bricks?" "why didn't Drogon flame Jon?" "why didn't the unsullied or dothraki kill Jon?" "why doesn't everyone else declare they're an independent state now?" "why the fuck is Bronn on the council, let alone Master of Coin?"), the more I think on it the more confusing and unsatisfying it was for the most part.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm
It’s rare I reminisce positively about Dexter becoming a lumberjack.
Said this to my wife when the credits rolled.

What a complete bag of wank.
My apathy stemming from episode 3 has grown into a wild vine that's pulled down the walls that stopped all my fucks from escaping.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon May 20, 2019 9:42 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:21 pm
Felt ok as I watched it, aside from the obvious dumb stuff ("hang on, weren't Jaime and Cersei buried under a metric shit-ton of rock rather than a few half-bricks?" "why didn't Drogon flame Jon?" "why didn't the unsullied or dothraki kill Jon?" "why doesn't everyone else declare they're an independent state now?" "why the fuck is Bronn on the council, let alone Master of Coin?"), the more I think on it the more confusing and unsatisfying it was for the most part.
That’s been my experience today since watching it this morning. While watching it, I thought the first half was mostly great and the second half was okay, but as soon as you start thinking about it in any detail it falls apart. You ask why Bronn’s on the council, for instance - well I assume there was a scene where Bronn turns up and points his crossbow at Tyrion and demands his payment, at which point his lordship of the Reach and council position are negotiated. But we didn’t get that scene because D&D couldn’t be bothered. Even a relatively minor thing like Arya wanting to know what’s west of Westeros makes no sense when you think about it. Her brother knows everything that has happened - she could have literally just asked him what’s out there instead of getting on a ship and possibly never being seen again.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 9:39 am

Assorted other amusing observations:
Spoiler
Arya, standing amidst the desolation of King's Landing, turns to Jon and, convincing him to kill Dany, utters the immortal line: "I know a killer when I see one." No fucking shit, Arya, what tipped you off? :roll:

Did Jon turn himself in? Dany's body is gone, as is Drogon, could he not have mopped up the little bit of blood and claim she'd fecked off back to Slaver's Bay and totally says you guys should follow her, no seriously, get on those ships asap and go.

Grey Worm to Tyrion: "You shut your fucking mouth, prisoner."
Tyrion: *5-minute monologue in which he chooses the next monarch and the future system by which others will be chosen*
Grey Worm: *stoic silence*

We've already talked about the failure of the Unsullied and Dothraki to, well, really react in any way to the death of their leader. But how about, when choosing what to do next, Grey Worm elects to sail his forces to an island where the indigenous wildlife is literally lethal to all outsiders. Tactical mastermind here :roll:

The Unsullied bugger off to their Island of Certain Death, and no-one thinks to tell Jon, in his month-long trek back to the north, that he can come back as there's literally no reason remaining for him to be there?

Arya sails west... just why? Is she one of the elves from Lord of the Rings?

Bran, when asked if he'd accept the crown: "Why do you think I came here?" *smug, knowing smile*
Literally nobody: "Wait, did you know all this shit was going to go down? Why didn't you warn anyone you utter ballbag?"

Bran, entering his very first council meeting as king: *mutters something nonsensical about Drogon then fecks off after approximately 18 seconds to leave them to their own devices*
Welcome to the next n years of your monarchy, Westeros, seeing as there's a good chance Bran may actually be immortal now. Good choice, Tyrion *slow clap*

I'm sure there's more...

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am

Did they mention butterfly fever in the TV show? I don't think they did, so ol' Wormy and his crew should be fine.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am

What happened to Aryas horsey?
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 am

Drarok wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:59 am
Did they mention butterfly fever in the TV show? I don't think they did, so ol' Wormy and his crew should be fine.
Looked it up, apparently she told him all about Naath in season 4 when she's teaching him the common tongue.

Maybe he didn't fully understand everything she said :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 10:37 am

Alan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am
What happened to Aryas horsey?
That's another one.

At the end of ep5 my wife asked what that was all about. I knowingly said, "ah, it's a pale horse you see, signifying its rider is Death"... hence why I made the bold, and incorrect, prediction Arya would kill Dany.

But no, meant nothing. Lol, I guess.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 am

There were a few weird inconsistencies like that.

End of episode 5 she's riding out of town on a horse, then at the very beginning of episode six Jon and Davos are walking into town to see the destruction and she's standing there in the rubble.

Jon and Davos continue on and see Greyworm and after watching him slaughter some prisoners head on towards the Red Keep... only as they get to the steps it's just Jon now and who's at the top of the steps? Greyworm.

After Dany does her Hitler speech* and arrests Tyrion, she walks off to the Red Keep and Jon follows. After a ten minute conversation with Tyrion, Drogon has managed to get completely submerged in snow/ash! How long was Jon wandering around down there!?

*What was the whole "liberate Winterfell to Dorne" even supposed to be about? Seems to be a phrase said just to make her seem even more genocidal but with no explanation who exactly she wants to liberate and from whom.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 am

Strudel wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 am
Jon and Davos continue on and see Greyworm and after watching him slaughter some prisoners head on towards the Red Keep... only as they get to the steps it's just Jon now and who's at the top of the steps? Greyworm.
Argh, yes! My wife pointed this one out as we were watching it, it was so jarring. Wormy and friends were killing the war criminal/prisoners, Jon got moody and went to tattle… did Jon get lost on his way to tell?!
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

It could have been believable if they were just wandering around surveying the destruction but they literally just said they better go find the Queen quickly. ](*,)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 21, 2019 11:34 am

At the same point, after Dany has gone back inside and Jon is stood outside the Red Keep, Arya suddenly appears right next to him after being shown at the back of the courtyard just before. I know she's sneaky but damn.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 21, 2019 11:45 am

I didn't mind that one so much, he'd had time to get up there, then the speech… she could have made it.
Raid wrote:

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Yeah, I also thought that was a bit of a jump but they could claim it's her sneaky assassin ways.