Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: Game of Thrones S8 (Here be spoilers)

Post by Alan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:08 pm

I thought that was intentional. I think Dead Danny to weeks later was the worst, most jarring cut I can remember in recent media.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 12:16 pm

I saw a comment somewhere where someone pointed out it's like the writers sat down with GRRM and he gave them a few bullet points for the rough direction the plot was going, and they basically just filmed those.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm

Strudel wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 pm
I almost feel like that sat down with GRRM Martin and asked him where the story was going and he sketched out the broader plot points and they've just translated that and only that into screenplays.
It me!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 pm

He probably gave them character arcs, like:

1. Dany frees all the slaves.
2. Dany invades Westeros.
3. ?
4. Dany burns children.

or

1. Bran goes north of the Wall.
2. Bran gets possessed by a tree wizard.
3. Something something time travel.
4. Bran becomes king.

Get writing!

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Martin must be loving it because I can’t be the only one that feels driven to read the books now. Is it true there’s not a night king in the books so far? He was one of the early things that felt pretty lame.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Strudel wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm
Strudel wrote:
I almost feel like that sat down with GRRM Martin and asked him where the story was going and he sketched out the broader plot points and they've just translated that and only that into screenplays.
It me!
:lol:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

In fairness I've been reading quite a few comment threads on the episodes in various places.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:32 pm
Martin must be loving it because I can’t be the only one that feels driven to read the books now. Is it true there’s not a night king in the books so far? He was one of the early things that felt pretty lame.
He's definitely been discussed a heck of a lot, but for the life of me I can't remember if anyone's actually laid eyes on him as yet.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm

From what I recall (it's been a while), the Night King is referenced but isn't really a thing yet, and to confuse matters there's also the Night's King who may or may not be a different character altogether and was once a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Basically the show's version of the Night King isn't anything like what's been in the books so far.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:51 pm

I think I’ll wait till the next book comes out in the hope that when I get through it all the last book will almost certainly be nowhere near complete :cry:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm

I can only guess that a fuck ton more scenes were filmed explaining events or dealing with loose ends but it all got cut due to piss poor editing and time constraints.

The last book came out over 10 years ago now? I don't really care anymore if it gets finished. I'd definitely read it if it did but if not, fuck it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 pm

No, 8 years ago in July. Still about 5 years too many.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 pm
Strudel wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 pm
Strudel wrote:
It me!
:lol:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

In fairness I've been reading quite a few comment threads on the episodes in various places.
Yeah to be fair when you said it I thought, "I definitely thought that... but did I post it here or somewhere else?" :P

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm
From what I recall (it's been a while), the Night King is referenced but isn't really a thing yet, and to confuse matters there's also the Night's King who may or may not be a different character altogether and was once a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Basically the show's version of the Night King isn't anything like what's been in the books so far.
I don't think a Night King in the show sense has even been referenced in the book. The Night's King is a mythical tale of a Lord Commander who married what could have either been a wight or a white walker and declared himself king beyond the wall, and the other reference is to a 'Great Other' which is generally accepted as being the opposing god to the Lord of Light and not a literal figure. Nobody has a clue whether the walkers have a 'king' or not and I'm inclined to believe that there isn't one and that they're more just an apocalyptic force of nature.

If the books go the same way and have the walkers defeated at Winterfell before half of the southern kingdoms have even heard of them then I will be disappointed beyond belief. The last Long Night caused the seas to freeze and even Essos was invaded by the dead.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue May 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm
If the books go the same way and have the walkers defeated at Winterfell before half of the southern kingdoms have even heard of them then I will be disappointed beyond belief. The last Long Night caused the seas to freeze and even Essos was invaded by the dead.
Anything the characters tell us about the Long Night has to be treated as myth rather than history because it was 8000 years ago (or was it?). I'm half convinced that there has been more than one Long Night in the past, and more than one Azor Ahai. Martin drops these lore hints from different corners of the world, all with similarities but distinct from each other - the far east of Essos has the myth of the Bloodstone Emperor which has many similarities to Azor Ahai, for instance, and there's the Five Forts which appear to have had a similar purpose to the Wall.

Whatever direction Martin goes with it, I refuse to believe the crisis is averted after one battle because Arya becomes a ninja. #-o

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue May 21, 2019 3:29 pm

A face-swapping ninja, who only uses that power… twice?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.