Exciting adventures IRL.
Hatredsheart

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:55 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:42 pm
not good looking enough ?

I don't get it. Its school. Its not a nightclub
Exactly. Kids of 10 worrying about prom dresses. And make up. Some of them haven't even hit puberty ffs.
And families on low incomes struggling to meet the cost of this shit.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Jebus.

I had my prom at 16 and only cared about making myself look smart, not what others thought. I feel sorry for these kids.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 am

Wasps.

They made a nest in the bathroom air brick vent. I gotta spend to get rid of these bastards ffs, and they ain't gonna pay me back. Like they give a shit about finances or public safety.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Apologies if I sound like a Dilbert strip, but meetings. Christ almighty, what a gigantic waste of everyone's time. Three hours this morning in a roasting room without a break talking about FUCKING NOTHING of any use to any person who has ever lived or will ever live. If I'd been given the choice of either attending the meeting or being kicked heftily in the balls by a steel-capped boot, I'd have taken the bollocks-battering without a second thought.

The worst bit about this is that I was getting hangry, and by the time I got to the shop all the sodding sandwiches had gone. :x

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 pm

I remember a meeting like that where the head of the company was giving each dept a talk in a stuffy little room. I was fast asleep within minutes, apparently I was leaning against the guy beside me who was also unconscious. The company head was apparently staring at us most of the meeting while talking. Fuck it :lol:

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 pm

in my old company we had 3 meetings a week
- departmental meeting of 20+ people - each had to run down their tasks
- group meeting of 8 people - each had to run down their tasks...again
- 1-1 with an idiot manager - each had to run down their tasks...for the 3rd time in 1 week

FUCKING STUPID

In the company I now work for - one meeting every month. Its lovely here !
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:29 pm

When I worked at Sky, at least 50% of my working day was spent in meetings. You didn't dare not go to a meeting though, otherwise you would end up with all the actions coming out of it. At that level though, it actually worked pretty well. These were largely meetings for senior management where decisions were being made; it was then up to me/my team to implement those decisions, which obviously required me to be in all those meetings to understand what exactly had been agreed/push back against what wasn't realistically achievable.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't generally get dragged into too many meetings, but every fortnight we have a lengthy planning meeting which is 90% faffing with admin / red tape to the benefit of nobody. We spent maybe one hour out of the three hours meeting today arguing about what the best way to have a meeting is. ](*,) We decided to keep doing what we're doing. This happens frequently.

I feel like things like this will be the end of our species eventually. Not a nuclear war, not global warming, but everyone sat together in a small room, unsure why they're there but unable to leave, annoying each other until everyone literally loses the will to live. RIP humanity.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Today on my cycle home from work I:
- had a guy shout "arsehole" at me as I went through a GREEN light at a junction. Maybe he just hates all cyclists? How dare we cycle on roads he wants to cross.
- had a guy beep at me when I overtook another bike (I never left the cycle lane) and got within about a metre of his precious Audi
- had a woman nearly side swipe me as she decided to try and turn into a road as I was passing but she was either too slow or too fast and I had to put my foot up to her bumper to push back and avoid her knocking me off my bike.

Got to love cycling in London.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
I feel like things like this will be the end of our species eventually. Not a nuclear war, not global warming, but everyone sat together in a small room, unsure why they're there but unable to leave, annoying each other until everyone literally loses the will to live.
So Brexit, then.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Strudel wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:04 pm
Today on my cycle home from work I:
- had a guy shout "arsehole" at me as I went through a GREEN light at a junction. Maybe he just hates all cyclists? How dare we cycle on roads he wants to cross.
- had a guy beep at me when I overtook another bike (I never left the cycle lane) and got within about a metre of his precious Audi
- had a woman nearly side swipe me as she decided to try and turn into a road as I was passing but she was either too slow or too fast and I had to put my foot up to her bumper to push back and avoid her knocking me off my bike.

Got to love cycling in London.
Oh mate, don't cycle in London. Really, don't, you take your life in your hands every time you set off. I used to cycle from Hampton to Richmond for work, about 6 miles and pretty suburban for the most part, but had to pack it in because it just became too terrifying. I had two bikes wrecked beyond repair by cars actually hitting me (similar to the side-swipe incident you mention), and numerous near-misses. My mate who cycled from Hampton to Kingston for work ended up in ER several times due to getting hit by cars, including one time the Edwin in front of him braked suddenly and sent him flying through his rear windscreen and end up on his parcel shelf!

And that's not to mention all the ones that get crushed under the wheels of buses and HGVs in Central London in one of the places where they've put the cycle lanes in suicidal positions. Not in London (in Bath, in fact), I was knocked off my bike by an HGV that overtook me without leaving any space, his side brushed my handlebar, knocked my front tire against the curb and I flew over the handlebars and ended up sitting on the verge wondering WTF just happened. I could easily have ended up under his wheels and he'd never have noticed.

I just wouldn't do it today on the roads. You can be the most careful, conscientious cyclist in the world and still get creamed by some Edwin in a car looking at his phone or just being an arsehole in a hurry.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:01 pm

That sounds pretty horrendous. My journey is usually pretty easy (Queens Road Peckham to Euston - 6 miles as well) , with the standard bunch of cockwomble cyclists who like playing kamikaze at intersections, but for the most part my journey is straightforward and doesn't have any real HGV munching zones.

I used to do a 13 mile cycle from Peckham to Osterley. Getting round Hammersmith was always an adventure :P

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:21 am

People who "invite" you to a birthday party or a stag do and than expect you pay your share or even worse to pay a share of a split bill even though you probably spent the least. If you turn down the invite because you have no money you become castigated as a bastard or a party poop.

I don't get it. If I invite someone to join a celebration that is to do with me - like my own birthday - than I will pay because I want and enjoy your company. Why would I embarrass my friend is asking them to shell out to subsidies my fun

Maybe its me.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am

Definitely not just you. I went through the phase of lots of friends getting married, hence lots of stag dos, and most of them involved some ludicrous amount of money to go abroad somewhere rife with culture that would be entirely ignored as everyone got slaughtered. I went on one stag do to Budapest because it was a close friend, and a couple of others in the UK, but otherwise I stopped caring about what people think when I say I can't (or won't) go. It's not even that I couldn't afford it - it's that I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on shite like that.

As for birthdays, I always just go for a few drinks in town and say anyone who wants to come along is welcome. I would never in a million years expect people to spend a bunch of money for it.

EDIT - Going back to stag dos, when did it become the norm for a stag do to be a minimum of a 3-day affair in a foreign city whereby the people involved annoy the locals in a whirlwind of booze, money, xenophobia, embarrassing t-shirts, kebabs and tits? To paraphrase Rob Brydon, they used to just be a right good knees up down the pub. The stag do I went to in Budapest was relatively tame, but by the third day I was exhausted and hungover beyond the point where I could tolerate even the most minor inconvenience. I don't cope well with airports at the best of times, and getting through customs on the way home was an ordeal - the saving grace being, I suppose, that the airport staff in Budapest are used to burnt-out shells like me shambling through every day. Incidentally, we shared both the inbound and outbound flights with another stag do for a certain "Deano", who it turned out was two men short on the return, having lost one to a hospital and one to the police. I can't say I was surprised based on their unfathomable dickhead behaviour on the first flight. I also had to discuss with a friend on the plane possible explanations he could give to his girlfriend as to why he now had a coin-slot scar down the centre of his forehead (he headbutted the buttons in a lift).

Oh, also, someone in our party got separated from the group on the second night and was pepper-sprayed by a prostitute (or, as his voicemail said, "I've been peppercorned in the face!").

Fuck stag dos.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Whilst I generally dislike the concept and execution of most stag dos I've actually enjoyed the couple I've been on.

One started at around 11am with a gentle stroll through the Bermondsey Beer Mile, which was pleasant enough even for a non-drinker like me. This was followed by a couple of excellent escape rooms where obviously the stag wanted me on his team as I was the only sober person in the group. From there, a few more pubs before dinner in Brick End at a perfectly decent but not expensive curry house. We took our time, had a good meal, and no one was getting totally wasted - everyone was on the "pleasant drunk" end of the spectrum. Off to another bar, and then it was 10pm and I made a move home before anyone got too drunk. Couldn't have asked for much better really.

Second one was a weekend in Warsaw. There was plenty of drinking by everyone else again, and the stag did end up throwing up in the street on Saturday night but that was as bad as it got. No one was aggressive, no one was particularly loud, everyone was friendly. I doubt any onlooker would have thought it was more than a dozen friends going out for a night. The days were spent doing some activities like laser-tag (it was actually a very good set-up), some tours of the town. Surprisingly educational for a stag do! Lots of good food as well.

I think it's probably a sign of a stag do done right if a tee-total participant has a thoroughly enjoyable time.