Looking for players - forum fantasy football league

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Looking for players - forum fantasy football league

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:18 am

Going to post this here as it gets more traffic than the sports sub-forum, will move or delete it after that.

But looking for players to take part in this year's fantasy football league - I thought the revamped format last season was a great success and hopefully those who took part enjoyed it, not least our champion Wrathbone :o

Ideally, as well as welcoming back those who took part last time, we'd get an additional player or two as the more the merrier. I plan on using the same site as last time, which for those who got bored of the official FA league this one is far more interesting stats-wise... I'd say give it a chance and see what you think.

And for those that don't like football - it's easy to set up a team even if you don't know who anyone is as the system basically tells you who's good and who isn't. You can either set up a team and not touch it for the next 10 months (as WB and Animal did, to great success :lol:) or keep tweaking it throughout as much as you like (as I did, to lesser success :lol:)

For returning players (and I hope you'll all play again this time round), for this season I think I'll revert to a standard league table format rather than a head-to-head league... ie the player who's team scores the most points overall wins.

https://gamersarms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=312

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Looking for players - forum fantasy football league

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:27 am

Actually, I think last year's tournament fell victim to the forum switch from Prey's, as there's nothing especially instructive in that thread :lol:

For now let me know you're interested, then further instructions will follow.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:31 am

The bullet points:

- The league is based around a draft system - there's a single pool of players to draw from, and if you have a player another team can't have them and vice versa
- The draft is automated (it doesn't have to be, but means we don't have to arrange to all be online together to do it manually), all you do is build a preferred list of players from the available pool, and the system does the rest
- The system tells you how many points players earned last season, to help pick out the good ones
- You can trade players with other teams (or not, it's all up to you) and replace players in your team with ones that are still without a club from the player pool (or not, as you wish)
- Players score points for a wide variety of things, not just goals and assists as some leagues do it, which means there's loads of variety and point to picking non-attacking players

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm in again on the basis that I made precisely zero changes to my team last year and somehow won. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:20 pm

I'd say it was luck, but I happen to know you were a demon as well in the previous version of the tournament :lol:

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:36 pm

You can count on me and missus being in again. I'll see if I can rope in the eldest, but he's a volatile teenager so apathy may triumph over my persistent nagging.

I for one will be taking the Wrathbone approach to football management this season. Tinker-free to victoree! :D

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Think I'll give this season a miss chaps.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks to MM and WB for signing up again, but thinking we call time on this. I was already on the fence about it if we didn't bring in any new players, so if we're actively losing them I think probably it's run its course.

We had a good run for a PC gaming site as opposed to a sport site. Ah well.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Jaysus, now I feel guilty :/

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Don't sweat it mate, last thing I'd want to do is ask people to commit to something they're not interested in. It's probably to be expected anyway with forum numbers dwindling as they are.