Forum Bugs and Errors Reporting Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Forum Bugs and Errors Reporting Thread

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:41 am

I'll be tinkering with various themes and things behind the scenes over the course of the next week. If at any point you encounter any weird glitches with the presentation of the forum or parts of the themes completely stop working could you let me know in here please; what theme you're using, the nature of the error, whether you're on desktop or mobile and what browser you're on would be handy info.

Cheers m'dears.

Maturin

Re: Forum Bugs and Errors Reporting Thread

Post by Maturin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am

Any other Firefox users having generally glitchy page-loading problems? I often have to hit F5 because it's got all jumbled up.

Could just be FF being temperamental after recent updates, but it's affecting this site a lot more than any others.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:40 am

Using Firefox myself and it's been all right, can't think of any issues I've had.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 am

Hmm, maybe I've got an add-on causing the problem. But all I've got is Adblock & NoScript (which is switched off for this site).

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

Maturin wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am
Any other Firefox users having generally glitchy page-loading problems? I often have to hit F5 because it's got all jumbled up.

Could just be FF being temperamental after recent updates, but it's affecting this site a lot more than any others.
Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies for the site? I used Firefox briefly when I had a problem on Chrome and didn't notice any issues.

Ed: I'm using FF now too and everything seems to be working fine.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, I'll have a play around later. I might end up rebuilding my FF profile, which apparently can fix a lot of glitches.

It's about 1 out of 4 page-loads it gets itself into a bind.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:57 pm

Main one at the moment is email post alert links open a page rather than at the post concerned, forever scrolling to find it.

Also, can we have "unread posts" and "new posts" in a toolbar alà PW rather than in a menu, please?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm

This isn't so much a problem as refreshing the page cleared it up, more mentioning it in case it's indicative of something going wrong behind the scenes, but I got an error message just now when a page failed to load one of the Steam links correctly, just got a couple of lines of text instead saying it wasn't working.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm

All of the quick links and embedded images don't actually use anything behind the scenes on the site, they're coded so that they're entirely dependant on displaying whatever the source page is putting out, so if any of them fail to load it's usually down to some sort of errors on their side. I had a similar issue getting the Imgur embedding to work simply because that site is an unstable mess most of the time, so I just disabled it instead to save us having failed links embedded everywhere.
eny wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:57 pm
Main one at the moment is email post alert links open a page rather than at the post concerned, forever scrolling to find it.

Also, can we have "unread posts" and "new posts" in a toolbar alà PW rather than in a menu, please?
Sorry, eny, but what do you mean by the post alert opening a page? Not entirely sure what you're getting at. The toolbar/menu stuff is something I'll look into when I delve deeper into editing the themes.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 pm

Sorry, wasn't explained very well. When I open the thread reply notification link, it takes me to the top of the thread page the post concerned is on, rather than to the actual post im being notified about. I have to scroll down and hunt for the new reply rather than it opening straight on it.

– Abraham Lincoln

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 pm

You mean on the notification bar in the corner when someone has quoted you?

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm

The main address for the forum isn't working!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Do another ctrl+f5 refresh when you get a page load error.

I've migrated the forum to the /forum subdomain because I want to reserve the main page for when the new main site goes live. Currently it's just set to redirect to the forum though.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 pm

When I get a Topic Reply Notification email, the link inside it doesn't open at the new post, it opens the top of the page of the thread concerned, so I have to hunt for where I last read the thread:

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=329&e=1&view=unread#unread

– Abraham Lincoln

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Ah, right. Sorry I didn't realise you meant the email subscription!

Yeah, that link should give an ID for the post in question rather than that strange looking link. I think it might be one of the mods that I installed on the database clashing with the notifications. I'll look into it.

Ed: I've had a play around. Let me know how it is.